6 replies to this topic

#1 AlphaOmega

AlphaOmega

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 01:18 AM

Chapter I - Arrival

-=-

The gargantuan space doors opened, and the tiny shuttle pod was swallowed by the cavernous space dock. Ensign Sanders looked, wide-eyed out of the small pod at the bay. Some of Starfleet’s most important ships were docked, at Earth’s Spacedock. The pilot clicked a control as the control room came over the comm.

“Shuttle Houston, you are clear for landing in bay 21, continue on your current flight path,” a rather bored-sounding controller said over the line.

“Roger and acknowledged, dock master, continuing on course,” the equally bored pilot responded.

As the shuttle continued on its course through the massive bay, Michael noted many starships most people only got to hear about. Massive Galaxy and Nebula-class ships and a new Sovereign-class vessel sat in the great bay, as a Nova-class ship reversed out of the dock. He heard a short, derisive snort from behind him. He turned around in his chair, to face another of his unit, a lieutenant. His face is full of a big, gleaming smile. His eyes are green, and his hair is wavy and blond.

“You’ll get used to it, after a while. By the first month, you’ll have visited more ships and bases than anyone in the rest of the fleet. We get to go anywhere; last month, we entertained a Diplomatic summit on Deep Space 6,” the lieutenant said, his face is alight in the telling of his story.

“I can only hope I will get used to it after a while, I don’t think I could stand to be shocked every time we are sent out,” Michael responded, smiling.

“My name’s Matt,” the lieutenant said, as he extended his hand.

“Hi, I’m Michael,” Michael said, completing the handshake.

“Good to meet you, what do you play?”

“Clarinet,” he responded, indicating the instrument case under his seat.

“Great, so do I; I’m section commander, in fact. We don’t get many from the academy, most of the band is enlisted,” he said, noting a Starfleet Academy logo on his bag, “What are you really supposed to be doing?”

“Well, I took engineering classes, so if I ever decided to give up playing, I’d have a job in that somewhere in the Fleet,” he responded, surely hoping he would never have to.

“I was a science person myself, biology mainly…,” he said, trailing off, as the shuttle landed with a thump in the Starbase’s internal hanger.

The pilot pressed a control on the forward bulkhead, and the rear hatch swung open. The passengers, an Andorian captain in a teal uniform, a Bolian engineer, Matt, and Michael, get out of their seats, and exit. Michael looks around the enormous room. A Galaxy-class starship has an enormous main hanger, but even this relatively small bay inside the Starbase is enormous. The main hanger bay of the station is visible through a force field in the massive doorway. An Excelsior-class ship is visible at its moorings. Again, Matt taps him on the shoulder, seeing him staring into something he considers to be the everyday.

“If you like this view, you’re probably going to love your quarters assignment. The entire music division is quartered up there,” he says pointing to a group of windows on the other side of the bay, in the wall of the docking area.

“Great, I can’t wait to get settled in,” Michael responds.

“Good, I have your assignments here,” he hands him a padd, “And if you’ll follow me, I can take you up where the quarters are.”

They walk together across the shuttlebay, to a turbolift. Although the station is massive, the turbolift is similar to the size of that on a starship. On the wall is a diagram of the station, with different sections highlighted in color. Matt taps the blue docking bay section, and it zooms in to fill the entire display. He then selects the correct deck, and the lift is off.

The lift whirrs up several decks, and then moves horizontally over the docking bay, to the other side. It begins descending. Matt turns to Michael.

“I hear you’re a pretty strong player, Michael,” he states.

“Well, that’s what everyone tells me,” Michael responds, looking embarrassed, yet pleased.

“You’re exactly what we need, and I’m sure you’ll have lots of fun,” he says as the lift pulls to a stop, and the doors slide open.

They walk through, into the wide corridors of the station.

“Well, there is a mess hall down that way,” he says, pointing down the corridor,” And there is a briefing room and transporter the other way. The computer can show you to any of the holodecks, or bars if you’re the sort of person who likes that sort of thing.”

“Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind, Michael responds, smiling.

“If you need me, I’m just a commbadge tap away, see you tomorrow.”

“Bye, then.”

Matt walks away, leaving Michael alone in the hall. He looks down at the padd, finding his quarter’s number. He sees a deck map, and finds them. Walking down the hall, he notes his surroundings. The halls have a red stripe with a lyre emblem at regular intervals. He reaches up to his collar, feeling the identical emblem opposite of his rank insignia. After a few minutes, he finds his room.

In typical Starfleet efficiency, his name is already on the door. He taps the door panel, and it slides open. He walks in, and looks around. The room is much larger than his dorm at Starfleet academy, or even the bunkroom he shared with other cadets aboard the Nova-class ship, for his midshipman’s cruise. Everything is sleek and modern looking. He sets his shoulder bag down by the door, which closes behind him, and he sets his instrument down on a shelf under the window.

Taking a brief glance out the window, he notices an older starship in a berth, and remembers the PADD Michael gave him. He turns the lights on, and sits down on the couch, scrolling through it.

“Great, report for physical in the infirmary… orientation…, real yawn...,” he says to the empty room, in a bored tone.

He drops the PADD on the end table, and stands up. Looking near the other side of the room, he sees the door to the bedroom. He walks over, and in, finding it to be as un-remarkable as the rest of the room. He walks through there, to the bathroom.

“Wow, sonic shower, and a bath tub. Whoever said Starbase assignments were bad should see the quarters.”

He finds a door to the closet, and opens it. He finds someone has already delivered uniforms for him.

“Efficient, and hung up neatly.”

He walks back out of the closet, and the bathroom, stopping to catch his reflection in the mirror. He runs his fingers through his messy black hair, and walks back into the living area, to pick up his bag. He picks it up, and dumps it out on the couch. There wasn’t much in it, just a few PADD’s, some articles of civilian clothing, and some framed pictures. He sets the padds on the coffee table, and the pictures on the end table. He puts the clothes in a drawer in the closet, and walks back into the bedroom. Looking at the chronometer on the wall, it is nearly 2300, so he puts his pajamas on and goes to bed.

-=-

This is a work in progress, and I don't want to post more without getting a reaction on the first chapter. I know, no real action yet.
Posted Image

#2 Dom

Dom

I touch everything

• UberGames Admin
  • 921 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 01:22 PM

Inteasting idea, I like the fact its from a band player's point of view instead of a officers.
Dom 'Phenix'
UberGames Developer

Ennoverse Web Hosting
http://www.ennoverse.com
http://www.ennoverse.co.uk
Affordable web hosting and domains.

A Division of UberNet Ltd.

#3 Matt Wolfe

Matt Wolfe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 07:52 PM

its nice; i like it... its interesting, and easy to imagine.

#4 AlphaOmega

AlphaOmega

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 02:05 AM

I'll post more soon, as soon as I write myself out of a dead-end street.
Posted Image

#5 Mr. Fibbles

Mr. Fibbles

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 07:49 PM

Very interesting ;)
Posted Image

#6 Nuttycomputer

Nuttycomputer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 09:58 PM

No stop I'm supposed to win. Lol Nice Idea

#7 AlphaOmega

AlphaOmega

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 04:56 AM

I promise I'll finish it eventually... even though voting already started... Maybe I can turn it into an english project during the school year...
Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users