RPGXEF Constantly Loses Settings

• You cannot reply to this topic

9 replies to this topic

#1 Alex H

Alex H

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:03 PM

This is a problem I've had intermittently with all versions of EF throughout the years, and setting up an autoexec to restore settings is easy enough, but still a pain and a hassle when it probably shouldn't be happening anyway :P

I'm using Windows 8 64-bit, running EF through Windows XP Compatibility and with Run as Administrator enabled. UAC is set to always allow and I've manually enabled permissions of The Last Outpost RPG-X Complete Edition folder in Program Files (as well as all sub-folders) to give me 100% full access without prompting, same with relevant AppData / Local / Roaming folders.

However, every single time I boot RPG-X up, it clears the settings, and of course, it loads before it runs the autoexec, causing all my windows to shuffle away from the 640x480 window into my second monitor which ends up screwing the desktop up and any open windows. Sure, effectively a minor annoyance, but a VERY annoying one.

Is there someway I can avoid this properly or will I have to just put up with it? Infact, I don't know if anyone else has this problem literally 100% of the time.

Brex.png

There is no such thing as the perfect person, only those who love perfectly.

#2 Harry Young

Harry Young

Ubergames Lead Lua Coder

• UberGames Developer
  • 291 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:10 PM

I think this is fixed with the current version of RPXEF, however I had these issues as well, I simply enabled write protection on all my hmconfigs. there won't be any any further losses of data, however you won't be able to permanently alter cvars and such on your client.

#3 Alex H

Alex H

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:16 PM

Well that's the thing, after it's lost settings, I've gone into hmconfig and it's been exactly as it was last time I used it, if I manually exec hmconfig, it restore it all. So it's not as though it's losing the data per se, just isn't loading it in the first place.

Brex.png

#4 Harry Young

Harry Young

Ubergames Lead Lua Coder

• UberGames Developer
  • 291 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:21 PM

Have you checked all the versions (especially those in appRoaming)

#5 Alex H

Alex H

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:24 PM

Yeah, they all appear to remain unchanged. The only thing which is noticable between all of them is that my character name never seems to be stored in them, nor in autoexec, yet everytime I execute any of them, it gives me a character name, model, rank, class etc as well.

Also while I'm on this, it seems under RPGXEF r_bloom doesn't work anymore either?

Brex.png

#6 Harry Young

Harry Young

Ubergames Lead Lua Coder

• UberGames Developer
  • 291 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:30 PM

Awkward... have you tried deleting all your hmconfigs and then manually reprogramm them from the game to eliminate possibly corrupted files.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe that r_bloom was through the external renderer which is removed in the current version

#7 Alex H

Alex H

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:32 PM

I do that every so often, but the fix only lasts about a week.

As for the bloom, that does sound likely, given that extra render-er dll.

Brex.png

#8 Veritas

Veritas

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:46 PM

The reason for this, from what I've found, is that RPGXEF creates a separate copy of your configuration in its AppData/VirtualStore folder and relies on that. Deleting the Last Outpost RPG-X Complete Edition folder from %localappdata%/VirtualStore/Program Files should fix it at least temporarily.

Alternately, put all of the settings you want remembered in the "custom commands" section of the RPGXCE launcher, which will add them to autoexec.cfg and apply them each time the game starts.

Posted Image

#9 Alex H

Alex H

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:55 PM

I'm using a manual shortcut and already have autoexec setup, it's just annoying how it happens everytime regardless, more so it's just how it screws up all my windows and messes with my OCD's (of which I hold GSI personally responsible :o)

Brex.png

#10 Veritas

Veritas

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:04 AM

Hopefully I'll be able to fix this in a future version of RPGXCE (if/when I have time to do that), but at its core it's an RPGXEF issue.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users