5 replies to this topic

#1 GriffinEndurance

GriffinEndurance

• RPG-X Tester
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:08 PM

Hey folks,

In case you don't know who I am and what I'm doing, I'm Griffin Endurance, former Freelance head and now working on the Station Asteria RPG-X map. I need a little feedback to solve a problem I am having at the moment, this isn't a bug but more of a limit. For the past 6 months I have been learning the ins and outs of RPG-X mapping to fill my map with lots of wonderful features. Being that I am normally a single player modder, I needed to learn what you could do and what you couldn't. I have lots of features in mind now and have started the more tedious entity creation. Sadly as expected I have ran into the engine limitations. I've had to create several new compiling options just to get the map to compile but my biggest problem is what I believe to be the entity limit for the game. As a result I can't put in half of what I wanted too and I have tried everything to get the entities down such as merging all the chairs around a table into a single model ect. The highest concentration of entities seems to be with the Target_Speakers. Due to the station having an off station location "two shuttle pods" I have been forced to give up the global speakers for things such as damage sounds, red alert klaxon's, station announcements and so forth in exchange for local speakers that I have had to dot around the station so you don't hear all these sounds while off in the shuttlepods. I can free up a good 300 - 400 entities if I switch back to global but you will hear these sounds in the shuttlepods.

My question to everyone is how much would this bother you? I have a lot of good features planned and feel I have got about as far as I can without taking this step. So far some of the planned features will include a full damage system, a quarter of which is implemented allowing you to repair everything from plasma injectors to life support, as well as little things such as changing out eps relays, using transporter test cylinders in the transporter room, and replicating spare parts for the station. So what do you think? Loose this functionality for nice quiet shuttlepods or assume that shuttle missions will take place during periods of calm on the station and go ahead with the global speakers in exchange for the new features!

Of course if you guys can offer an alternative I would be happy to hear it.

Thanks for reading!

Also, just because the ATTACH FILES button is so big and shinny I will add an image of the Life Support Control Circuitry!

Attached File  lifesupportcontrol.jpg   79.54KB   24 downloads

#2 GSIO01

GSIO01

UberGames Developer

• UberGames Developer
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:02 PM

Well if it saves you that many entities I guess people will be willing to oversee that some sounds can be heared somewhere they shouldn't.

As for an alternative it's some time since I looked into sound playing on the code side but I would be definately willing to to look if I can find a coding solution to have global target_speakers with somewhat different zones for them.

Also I would like to say that I'm following your work on this map for some time now and love your work.

Note: I'll move this thread to our mapping section.

#3 GriffinEndurance

GriffinEndurance

• RPG-X Tester
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:14 PM

That would be great, could you do something like a trigger_awaymission that stops global sounds and shakes from the shake entity. Glad you like my work :) much more to come!

#4 GSIO01

GSIO01

UberGames Developer

• UberGames Developer
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:32 PM

Ok took a quick look at the target_speaker. Adding different zones for non looped global sounds is pretty easy.

There are no looped global sounds but I'm just wondering why it's not that complicated to implement them. It would be a bit tricker to get the zones to work with them but also should be possible.

I'm not so sure how easy it is to filter the shake for specific clients but I'll do some research on it.

#5 GSIO01

GSIO01

UberGames Developer

• UberGames Developer
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:12 PM

A small upadte here:

I found a way to add global looped sounds. Now I only have to work on those zones.

#6 GriffinEndurance

GriffinEndurance

• RPG-X Tester
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:28 AM

I too always wondered why global looped sounds weren't part of the stock EF engine. They can't be all that difficult. I have removed all the local speakers and have returned to global increasing my available entity count by 300 - 500 entities. Should help me implement a few more features. Thanks for looking into it for me, It will really help me out :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users