• You cannot reply to this topic

43 replies to this topic

#41 Klaw

Klaw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:37 PM

Solved it, it was a problem with my -vis compile...

#42 Martin Thompson

Martin Thompson

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:30 PM

Hey Klaw. Don't fear, I know quite a bit about this problem. I wrote about it on my blog a bit: http://withmartin.ne...cks-go-vishing/

Long story short, read this: https://developer.va...wiki/Hint_brush

The bits you are still seeing are parts of your floor (or the entire floor of that deck in your case). This is a known problem with the compiler. I've had the same issues on my map. The only way to solve it is to do proper PROPER hints and areaportals, which is very hard and labor intensive trial and error work. A tool that can help is the portal viewer in GTK. Its located under Plugins > prtview > Load .prt file. After you have done a Meta compile, you can load in the prt file and see where the compiler has put portals. These are used by the vis stage to determine regions in the game (vis stage also deletes the .prt file again so make sure you dont do a vis stage if you want to load it in).

You can also load up your map using /devmap and then issuing /r_showtris 1. IT will show all visible triangles. You will notice that near doors, the floor of the next room is still visible at some points. One thing you can do to counter this a bit is to have a dedicated brush beneath your door, such that the floor brush of room A doesn't touch the floor brush of room B (or is the same brush altogether).

Another hint about hint portals (pun intended) is to use the "Skip" texture on all sides of the hint/areaportal brush but 1 (the side you want the actual portal to be). This texture is actually a shader and is a hidden feature of Q3map2. Theres a big chance you dont have it because it doesn't ship with RPG-X or EF by default. Contact me (you know how) for more information on this.

EDIT: Didn't see your last post there. Nice to know you fixed it. My comment goes nonetheless so ill just leave it here for future reference.

#43 GSIO01

GSIO01

UberGames Developer

• UberGames Developer
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:48 PM

I just thought I'd give a hint on a quite good document written by Chrissstrahl that is related to the topic the bug is related to. I covers more of the topics and mechanics related to binary space partitioning in ID Tech 3 based games then any other document ot tutorial I have seen. I does not only cover hint-brushes and area portals but also areas and clusters themself and how to take advantage of the mechanics related to them for optimization.

#44 Martin Thompson

Martin Thompson

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:39 AM

Ah yes, i knew that document was out there but i could never find it again. Thanks for sharing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users