• You cannot reply to this topic

43 replies to this topic

#21 GSIO01

GSIO01

UberGames Developer

• UberGames Developer
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:27 PM

No. You're right. Use extra entities for this rooms.

Only way I could think of would be to exclude this entities from beeing effected by area portals but that is not possible without engine modifications as far as I know.

#22 Klaw

Klaw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:05 PM

That's what I was afraid of...

I'm gonna see if I can re-work some doors, and areaportals, maybe remove the areaportals for these rooms - but still keep the section of the map seperated with the portals...

Thank you for your help, again :)

#23 GSIO01

GSIO01

UberGames Developer

• UberGames Developer
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:05 PM

It's always a pleasure to help.

#24 Klaw

Klaw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 03:34 PM

Ok - my next question is about location entities.

I understand some of the basics but I'm wondering how I should effectively deploy them.

The idea behind this map is: There isn't a turbolift, but one every deck there will be a beamout point for fast internal transport.(not to mention the ladder that goes to every deck :P)

What I'm wondering is, what would be the best way to deploy the location script to allow for smooth transport (How high off the ground should I put the z axis?), and how can I refine the script to limit the amount of bleedthrough (ie, I'm on deck 4 - in the science lab, and it's not registering me in the lab - yet)

#25 Klaw

Klaw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:16 PM

Ok - ignoring the top (I figured out what I wanted)

and a quick sorry about the double post :(

next quick question:

I had a shuttle, that originally I was going to use a misc_portal_camera (or whatever it is :P) to give the illusion of it taking off, and being on it's own in space.... Sadly, my camera didn't work (and I got tired of fighting with it) SO, I had another idea, and I'm hoping you can help me execute it.

I'd like to, subtly, quietly, and without any real amount of notice, be able to transport anyone and everyone in the shuttle over to an identical shuttle, in it's own little skybox. Problem is, I'm not quite sure how to accomplish this: target_teleporters and misc_teleporter_dest seem to spawn me at the destination, not in the relative position I was already in. Just curious if this is even possible - and if so, How would I do it?

#26 GSIO01

GSIO01

UberGames Developer

• UberGames Developer
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 06:33 PM

Only way to achieve something like this right now would be the target_turbolift which might not be an option if you want to use the entitiy for turbolift.

Keeping the relative position to a a target_teleport would be a nice addition to this entity though, so I'll look into that.

#27 Klaw

Klaw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:42 PM

Ok - new bug, may be easy to fix... but I'm not quite sure how.

Alert lights - when "used" (As in not triggered :P) can disappear. While this isn't a deal breaker, it's still annoying...

How might I go about setting them up so they won't vanish on me when someone accidentally hits the space bar, or the e key or whatever the use button is?

Thank you!

#28 GSIO01

GSIO01

UberGames Developer

• UberGames Developer
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:45 PM

For any func_uasable that should not be usable by the player add the key value pair:

team 2

#29 Klaw

Klaw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:19 AM

It's been a while, but I'm back with a quickie...

Conferenceroom_zps2444b609.jpg

The view screen featured here is utilizing a func_door entity to allow it to hide up in the ceiling.

My question is as follows: on a number of maps (namely Modas - and I think Vanderbilt (which was built from Modas :P)) The viewscreen cycles between images. I was wondering

A. How that is accomplished

2) if it could be doable with a view screen that moves

III - is there a way to select which image to toggle?

Also - along the same lines - is there a way to cycle sounds as well? (ie have 1 func_usable play through a randomization of 3 or so sounds)

Thanks guys!

#30 GSIO01

GSIO01

UberGames Developer

• UberGames Developer
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:23 AM

/*QUAKED misc_portal_surface (0 0 1) (-8 -8 -8) (8 8 8)
-----DESCRIPTION-----
The portal surface nearest this entity will show a view from the targeted misc_portal_camera, or a mirror view if untargeted.
This must be within 64 world units of the surface!

-----SPAWNFLAGS-----
none

-----KEYS-----
"target" - misc_portal_camera's to target
"targetname" - When used, cycles to the next misc_portal_camera it's targeted
"wait" - makes it auto-cycle between all cameras it's pointed at at intevervals of specified number of seconds. Default = -1 = don't autocycle
cameras will be cycled through in the order they were created on the map.
if this and the first camera are -1 there will be no autocycle.
if this is -1 but the first camera is positive the wait will be adapted as a faulsafe measure should one of the later cameras lack an individual wait.
"swapname" - will pause/unpause the autocycle. The next cycle will happen aufer "wait" seconds, so wait is required for this.
requires SELF/NO_ACRIVATOR

-----USAGE-----
Autocycle or manual Cycle usually only makes sence for a survaliance-station or security.
For a viewscreen or a communications channel make the brush having the portal-texture a func_usable and treat is as described on that entity for VFX-Entities.
*/

What you do to cylce thorugh multiple cameras is target the surface at multiple cameras. You can then use the misc_portal_surface to switch to the next camera. You can't select which camera will be the one switched to.

You can build an ingame logic to play one random sound from a choice of sounds by using multiple game logic entities. I haven't done that myself but I think the Atlantis uses this so looking at it's map source might help you with that.

#31 Klaw

Klaw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:30 PM

Okie dokie, allow me to pick your brain again...

I'm suffering from a dark wall (which has no reason TO be dark) - see image below

Darkwall_zps3d9d4bd3.jpg

each wall in the room are across from eachother, and are basically mirror images of eachother. The mirror of this wall is just fine!

I'm using a script shader for my lighting:

textures/rpg_hercules/light
{
//you may want to increase or decrease the next line if needed, it does the lightning
q3map_surfacelight 5000
surfaceparm nolightmap
{
map textures/hall/primaryhall_light.jpg
    }
}

And I'm compiling:

BSP-Meta-light-fast-super 2 -filter just for testing purposes.

I have tried adding more script lights, upping the light intensity, and even placing some entity lights... nothing seemed to have much of an effect. I'm hoping someone here may have some insight. (and no, that door isn't the door, I merely used it as a place holder)

Thank you in advance!

#32 Klaw

Klaw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:14 PM

Nevermind, I got it sorted

The wall wasn't an exact mirror. There was a little section which, I assume, made it too complex - so I edited the wall as a whole, and all is well with the world.

#33 Klaw

Klaw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:50 AM

So my next question involves using the model2 tag on a func_* to allow for a model to do things, like move/appear.

Basically, I think I have a grasp of the basics here. What I want to do is create a shuttlebay that can launch a shuttle. The shuttle, is a .md3 from the USS Serenity Map, the type 15 shuttlepod. Well, basically - the shuttlepod isn't rendering when I use the model2 flag.

I tested the entity by using a biobed model, and that model appeared - but the shuttle won't...

Any thoughts or insights?

#34 GSIO01

GSIO01

UberGames Developer

• UberGames Developer
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:55 AM

No idea why one should work and the other not.

I can suggest a workaround though:

When using q3map2 you can add the key _targetname with a targetname as value to any func_ entity. The geometry of any misc_model targetting the given target name with the target keyword will then be added to the geometry of the func_ entity.

#35 Klaw

Klaw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:29 PM

So, for example, I have a misc_model that I want to attach to a func_door...

I would use _targetname (misc_model targetname) in q3map2 and have that misc_model target the func_door in the actual map? - and this would produce a copy of the model on the spot where the func_door would be? (Just want to be sure I'm grasping this :P)

#36 GSIO01

GSIO01

UberGames Developer

• UberGames Developer
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:09 PM

It should be similar to this:

|-------------------------|                |-------------------------|
| classname misc_model    |                |  classname func_door    |
| target door_model1      | -------------->| _targetname door_model1 |
| ...                     |                | ...                     |
|-------------------------|                |-------------------------|

Also you have to place the misc_model where you want it to appear. It'll not be copied to the doors origin. The origin of the model will always stay relative to the origin of the door. The models geometry becomes a part of the brushmodel of the func_door, so it would be the same as adding an additional brush to the door.

#37 Klaw

Klaw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:08 PM

once again, I am eternally grateful for your help :)

Thank you! (I may be back, if I can't get my Warpcore figured out :P)

#38 Klaw

Klaw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:21 PM

Ok - got another one for you (since I couldn't find it on google

I want to toggle between two different skybox textures (one being in deep space, and the other giving an image of being in orbit of a planet)

I'm pretty sure the Delta Flyer accomplished this, and I have a small hunch as to how, but I'm wondering all the same - can this be done, and how?

#39 Klaw

Klaw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:17 PM

Nevermind, turns out it's as simple as I thought it was :P

#40 Klaw

Klaw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:10 AM

I'm back! with another little problem...

bug_zps69560d73.jpg

All the decks are connected via a tunnel network, and I have included area portals on nearly every door... and hint brushes in the corridors (mainly aling the bends) - I have no idea how I can hide this bleed-through... I'm hoping someone here may be able to offer some insight for me!

Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users