New Star Trek Game Engine

6 replies to this topic

#1 TonyCarswell

TonyCarswell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:34 PM

I have a question, due to the EF Engine very outdated, is there plans to upgrade to the new Star Trek game engine? I dnt even know if its possible but its an amazing game and good graphics etc.

-Tony

#2 John

John

Computer Techie

• RPG-X Tester
  • 285 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:32 AM

Elite Force works of a version of the Quake 3 engine, there is working being done on an enhanced version of this called rpgxEF but this will still suffer from some engine limitations. Moving to a whole new engine is not really possible as it would require the whole mod to be rewritten which would take quite some time.

- John

#3 TonyCarswell

TonyCarswell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:07 AM

Agh ok, thought I would ask and see since the new Star Trek game has the same principal as EF, first person RPG Shooter except it has alot more stuff you can do.  Graphics are absolutely stunning like the special effects etc.

#4 John

John

Computer Techie

• RPG-X Tester
  • 285 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:04 PM

Its all to do with the modding capabilities of a game, the EF and others like the Source engine are very open to modding allowing for great mods like RPG-X but some others like to lock mods out. There are also issues around content rights, a lot of the stuff in RPG-X relies on assets from the original game so you wouldn't be able to to take maps and models across easily.

In my opinion the next version of the source engine (HL3/Portal 3/TF3) would be a great option for if development ever shifted to a new engine because it would offer a powerful engine with good modding capabilities, Garry's mod and Black Mesa are both mods based on the current source engine.

#5 Veritas

Veritas

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:02 PM

Unfortunately, John is quite right - as awesome as it would be for us to see RPG-X moved to the Source engine (or something else open and capable enough), it's going to stay Quake 3 for the time being. GSIO01 and Harry are all we have in terms of dev, and they're kept more than busy enough as it is working on RPGXEF. RPGXEF has made some great strides, though, at least in terms of capabilities. 

Even though Source is based off Quake 3, the amount of work that would be required to move it is one the devs simply don't have time to do, and it requires knowledge that I (and most other community members, even those with programming experience) don't have.

Posted Image

#6 GSIO01

GSIO01

UberGames Developer

• UberGames Developer
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:23 PM

John and Veritas sumed it up pretty much. As much as I would love to move to a never engine it's more work than we can handle with our team. Such a port would require a big team not only of programmers but also model artists, texture artists, level designers, and so on. There are some enhancements beeing worked on for ioquake 3 we are keeping track of to see if we can use them with rpgxEF at some point (for example a new and more state of the art renderer).

#7 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:35 PM

Haha. Funny you should mention the engine code. XD

When Ravensoft released the JKA/JK2 source code to pay tribute to LucasArts' demise, the very first thing I thought was 'Ooh. Hang on. Does this mean Raven might be responsive to releasing all of EF's engine code too?'

So since then, I went through and spam mailed every person I'd talked to in the past asking about whether releasing both EF's single player and multiplayer codebases is possible.

Sadly, I didn't get a single response from any of them. :( Shortly after that, I noticed that the JK2/JKA code had since been taken back down (I'm guessing someone had a legal problem with it going up). :(

I'm going to try and follow it up with them again soon-ish.

I've personally been playing with the latest build of the icculus Quake 3 engine fork of the Quake 3 software. It features a lot of improvements over the raw Quake 3 engine EFHM is using, including a fully pimped out renderer using the latest OpenGL standards. I'd like to see if we could do something with that, but at the moment, I'm busy trying to get one of my iOS apps off the ground, so that's taking all of my free time now (And as a result, all of my C knowledge has been corrupted by Objective-C right now XD).

But in any case, even if we did have the sheer manpower to port all of this to another game engine like Source/Unit/UDK, the fact of the matter is we'd then lose rights to use the Star Trek IP. We're able to do it with Elite Force since it's an officially licensed Star Trek game. If we were to go beyond that scope, it would most likely count as copyright infringement. :(

-TiM

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users