#1 Harry Young

Harry Young

Ubergames Lead Lua Coder

• UberGames Developer
  • 291 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

Hey,

[backstory]
so I'm working on an additional feature for the shiphealth system that will add an UI-Element to the HUD. I'd like this feature to be active only in selected positions which technically means I need to restrict the number of clients that shall recieve the valid data. I have 3 ways to do this: One is adressing the clients trough a command, however that could be done manually to intentionally send invalid data and I do not want to do this. The other option is to send it as an event. This will always go to all clients so I have to send client information along which is interpreted on the client side. There are 2 ways to do this: Option one is to loop trough all clients and for every client that shall recieve the new data I send an event as events are always sent to all clients this involves a lot of traffic and is highly undesirable. Option 2 does a bit of tricky math and has a limit, however it only requires one event to be sent. That limit is the number of players that the map could sustain without breaking the system and lies at 31 players.
[/backstory]

In terms of that limit what I'd like to know is what is the maximum number of players you have ever seen on a server at a time and what is the average you have seen within the last 6 months (you may go to a different timeframe but if you do prease specify it)

#2 Veritas

Veritas

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

I've seen up to 20 people or so on in a TLO SRP, and 25-27 in other events. I think others might have seen more (back in my {UFP} days, I think the record was around 17 people for an awards ceremony we held). 

TLO's server averages monthly are only around one player, but that's because RPs come and go in clusters at certain times, so I wouldn't use that as certain. When an RP is going on, non-SRP, I'd say it averages between 4-6 players. During an SRP, 7-10 players, but 11-15 is not uncommon. Our server limit is 32 players and I don't think we've ever hit that cap, but some servers have 64-player limits. 

Posted Image

#3 Richard Evans

Richard Evans

{S31} Admirals' Team

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

I agree. I think at most we can hit about 10 players.

I personally think that the command would be better, and see if you can set it by the client's id.

Not sure if that is possible

follow.png

Richard Evans

Risa - The Star Trek Social Media Website

http://goo.gl/gJsMU9

#4 Harry Young

Harry Young

Ubergames Lead Lua Coder

• UberGames Developer
  • 291 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

sure it would be easier and i could send it only to the client. however it is also easy to manipulate. I do not want to do this.

#5 Richard Evans

Richard Evans

{S31} Admirals' Team

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

what do you mean to manipulate? could it be an admin only option, and the admins can set the parameters?

follow.png

Richard Evans

#6 Harry Young

Harry Young

Ubergames Lead Lua Coder

• UberGames Developer
  • 291 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

everyone would be able to call the command as usual and since it would generally be called from an entity i can in no way limit this to a specific type of client (admins)

#7 Alex H

Alex H

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

Would it not be possible to route it through as a /msg or /msg2?

Brex.png

There is no such thing as the perfect person, only those who love perfectly.

#8 Harry Young

Harry Young

Ubergames Lead Lua Coder

• UberGames Developer
  • 291 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:54 PM

No. The info would be displayed in a numerical fassion but it would effectively block the slot. what I'm loking for is something like the health bar from original ef

#9 Alex H

Alex H

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:40 AM

Oh right, I see what you mean now. Maybe possible to limit it to Engineering class only? I mean, the CO wouldn't have direct access to that information, it'd come from the Engineering officer on duty or over comm. Or maybe I'm not understanding it again

Brex.png

There is no such thing as the perfect person, only those who love perfectly.

#10 GSIO01

GSIO01

UberGames Developer

• UberGames Developer
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:29 AM

Actually it might be possible to use a command an prevent manipulation (haven't tried this though):

• assuming the command should be "updatesh"
  • add a new client console command "updatesh" that does nothing in cg_consolecommands
  • add the new server command "updatesh" that does the update in cg_servercmds

In theory by doing this if the client enters updatesh it should be ignored and if the server sends the command it should be received and processed by the client.

#11 Harry Young

Harry Young

Ubergames Lead Lua Coder

• UberGames Developer
  • 291 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

I am going to try this later. Thx.

Sent form mobile.

#12 Harry Young

Harry Young

Ubergames Lead Lua Coder

• UberGames Developer
  • 291 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

...works... and that was without locking out on cg_consolecommands... At least something new I've learned.

Thanks for the feedback.

#13 Richard Evans

Richard Evans

{S31} Admirals' Team

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

Great! :D still confused about what this will do, but I'm glad you've got it working

follow.png

Richard Evans

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users