• You cannot reply to this topic

3 replies to this topic

#1 mc8

mc8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

I would like to use a model that I have in a map. It is a 3DS model. Is it possible to convert it for use in the game? If so, how do I do so?

I probably should add this:
I have Autodesk Software, MilkShape, and Blender immediately available. I have access to other software if needed.

#2 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:33 AM

Hey mc8!

What game do you want to put it in? Most game engines have their own proprietary 3D model format, and I'm not aware of any that use 3DS.

MilkShape 3D is a pretty good start! That one supports a HUGE range of model formats, including all of the base ones that are sometimes used as intermediate formats for game engines (eg ASE, etc). Out-of-the-box, MilkShape works fine for Quake 3 engine games.

#3 GSIO01

GSIO01

UberGames Developer

• UberGames Developer
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:01 PM

If it is for Quake 3 Engine games q3map2 supports 3DS directly for static models (misc_model entity). Also there is a tool coming with the newest versions of GTK-, Zero- and NetRadiant named q3data which is the tool that was used by ID Software to convert ASE (and 3DS as well) to md3 format.

For other games MilkShape 3D is a good start as TiM already said.

#4 mc8

mc8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:45 PM

What game do you want to put it in?

(TiM)

EF (A new chair model to mess around with)

Most game engines have their own proprietary 3D model format, and I'm not aware of any that use 3DS.

(TiM)

Neither am I, but that was the most convenient way of saving the file.

If it is for Quake 3 Engine games q3map2 supports 3DS directly for static models (misc_model entity). Also there is a tool coming with the newest versions of GTK-, Zero- and NetRadiant named q3data which is the tool that was used by ID Software to convert ASE (and 3DS as well) to md3 format.

Thanks. That will be useful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users