Downloads

3 replies to this topic

#1 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:07 AM

Alrighty. This one's been a bit of a doozie.

When we migrated to the new hosting system, RedTechie and the fine chaps at Ennoverse had a bit of news.
The new web hosting system has a new method of gauging bandwidth usage across the board (called the 95th percentile) as opposed to a flat data cap. This means that allocation of bandwidth can be done dynamically between websites, allowing a much more efficient usage of it.

Now while this is great for websites, it's kinda really bad for hosting large files (eg the RPG-X mod). If there was a sudden spike of downloads the averages would be thrown off for the month and would in turn incur enormous bandwidth fees (due to its variable billing model).

So one of the stipulations of this new system was that it can only be used for hosting the website and providing web services. Large scale media needed to be stored elsewhere... ideally cheaply.

So for a good part of this year, I was exploring the potential of Amazon S3, since the first 5GB of it is free, and after that, the pricing is quite decent. Unfortunately, using S3 had two pitfalls. :(
  • There's no cap. Again, if there was a Reddit-cascade or anything (Which I doubt, but I've been surprised in the past), it could potentially ruin us financially. The only way to provide a cap is via your own integration code... which would take time.
  • The downloads system framework we're using doesn't actually provide support for S3, so someone would have to roll a plugin to provide that functionality from scratch (A non-trivial amount of time).
So... at this point, I was gearing up to accept my fate and start researching how to write an S3 integration plugin.

At around the same time, one Sunday afternoon, I went and hung out with one of my friends at a café. My friend runs a REALLY successful game and social platform called osu! and is EXTREMELY averse to having to re-invent the wheel under any circumstances.

When I told him what I was researching, he said he had the same problem finding places to store some of the larger media packs for his game, and in the end, just went with MediaFire.

I checked MediaFire out and lo and behold, it was PERFECT for our needs. :D Files could be uploaded to it, and then the download links could be directly embedded into the UberGames website. And for a VERY small monthly fee, we get a VERY generous amount of storage space, and download bandwidth (of which gets capped each month, so there's no risk of getting data-pwned like with S3). So kudos to ppy for the help there! :)

The address to the downloads page is http://forums.ubergames.net/files
It has forum integration so you can use your account to rate/comment on files. I've already tested uploading a few files to it, and it works great. Now it's just a matter of uploading all of the files to it (As well as tweaking the descriptions/screenshots a bit).

And. Since we have quite a bit of free space, I'm also thinking it may be cool to provide mirroring to non-UberGames created files as well, such as official Raven files, and maybe some of the more indispensable EF files out there. Let me know if that's something you might be interested in. :)

Anyway, thanks for the patience guys! It took a while, but we now have a great file-hosting solution that won't break the bank. :D

-TiM

#2 Harry Young

Harry Young

Ubergames Lead Lua Coder

• UberGames Developer
  • 291 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:39 AM

Good thing downloads are finally in action, however when trying to select a category for upload in the new skin i can only select mods for upload. also I will tell you that 2 mb are not going to be enough in most cases. I've skimmed my baseEF as far as RP-Maps are concerned and most .pk3 are under 50 MB with some going up to nearly 150mb. setting this to 50MB (still allows for around 1000 Files) should allow the majority to upload their stuff with no problems and those that do surely can be granted a token of some sort,
Also I've got some questions on the administrative end but I'll pm you on that probably later today. I need to get some rest.

#3 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:09 PM

Haha yeah! Took long enough though. XD

Oh! Let me take a look at the permissions so UberGames devs can add files! I'd only set it to admins for now.

Yeah, you can't upload the files directly as that will upload them onto the UberGames server and not MediaFire (2MB is so you can quickly upload really tiny files). Instead, what you have to do is manually upload the file to MediaFire, grab its perma-URL and then set that as a 'mirror' for the download entry over here. It's a bit finicky, but thankfully it's something you only have to do once per file.

Oh cool! If you've got a pile of RP maps that can go on it, I'll send you the upload credentials. :) In the meantime, I'm aggregating all of Raven's files to put on it.

-TiM

#4 Harry Young

Harry Young

Ubergames Lead Lua Coder

• UberGames Developer
  • 291 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

Ah, okay, so if it works that way the other questions can be disregarded ^^

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users