6 replies to this topic

#1 Richard Evans

Richard Evans

{S31} Admirals' Team

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:22 PM

Hey All,

I have an Idea, which will take a lot of work, but I believe that there are enough talented people in the community that will help pull this off.

Have you guys thought about making RPG-X a MMORPG? It is a big task, and can be quite costly, but if it pulls off, the community would be bigger and better and we would attract more players to the game.

Now obviously, we would need to gain Raven/CBS's permission to use the content and graphics and blah blah blah, but if they agree, we could create a big Roleplay RPG-X.

Here is how I imagine it:

1. A User downloads the all in one installer

2. Once they have created their login details, they are brought to a station onto which all players have access too, and can roleplay if they wish on the station.

3. If a user is within a Group (e.g. Section 31 Roleplay, {UFP}, The Last Outpost etc) then they can be transported to a Private Area just for the group (Fleet Invitation or so it's not STO like, "Starfleet Assignment"). Here, the leaders of the group can have Admin Functions, or people intrusted with these powers (similar to now, login with a password). People can roleplay on this private server, and they have 4 or 5 maps that they can choose from - for now.

4. They can choose which type of roleplay - Starship Based, Starbase Based, Away Mission, OR - Group Head to Head (like holomatch).

5. As the Group does more missions and more Roleplays, the group gains points/experience/something. They can then use their points/whatever to buy new maps to roleplay on.

6. The group admins/leaders can hand out awards in game to users who have shown good roleplaying skills etc, and these can be used to gain more equipment or something.

This is only the basic idea and I know at the moment it seems very STO like, but maybe if we all come together and think about this, we might have a great idea, that we can start putting together for a MMORPG. :)

Let me know what you think?

follow.png

Richard Evans

Risa - The Star Trek Social Media Website

http://goo.gl/gJsMU9

#2 John

John

Computer Techie

• RPG-X Tester
  • 285 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:42 PM

The infrastructure needed to support something like this would be very costly and would require an entire new game engine as Quake III already has RPG-X pushing its limits

#3 Harry Young

Harry Young

Ubergames Lead Lua Coder

• UberGames Developer
  • 291 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:53 AM

Not going to happen. Doing this would once again kill a lot of custumizability options currently present and would likely require tons of code to be rewritten.

#4 Richard Evans

Richard Evans

{S31} Admirals' Team

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:37 AM

Ah Okay. Well, it was worth a try.

Thanks

follow.png

Richard Evans

#5 GSIO01

GSIO01

UberGames Developer

• UberGames Developer
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:07 PM

Also we would never given permission to do somthing like this ... it would compete with STO.

#6 Richard Evans

Richard Evans

{S31} Admirals' Team

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:34 PM

Ah Okay, have we toyed with the idea about creating our own RPG-X engine? Completely separate from quake 3?

follow.png

Richard Evans

#7 GSIO01

GSIO01

UberGames Developer

• UberGames Developer
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:30 PM

We once considered porting RPG-X to idTech 4 but came to the conclusion we most likely wouldn't be able to get RPG-X look (not meaning we don't like graphical enhancements) and feel the same on it. The same would apply to an self written engine.

Also I don't have the time required to write a game engine which is a really huge project. And it will be the same for the other Ubergames members i guess.

Our best bet still is improving what we got and that means improving the quake 3 engine which is old but still one of the best engines that was ever made in my eyes. Many limits it has come from what wasn't possible when it was written and what was possible especially concerning graphics programming in that time. There are some people out there which are working on improving this and I keep an eye on what they are doing. Some even might have a chance to make it into ioQuake 3 which also means into rpgxEF.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users