7 replies to this topic

#1 Richard Evans

Richard Evans

{S31} Admirals' Team

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:35 PM

Hi Guys,

After playing Star Trek Online, I was thinking to myself, "I wonder if there could be a way to let you do something similar on RPG-X" and then the whole Idea came to me.

I'm sure there would have to be a lot of coding for this, but here it goes. I'll set it out in stages, starting at very basic to more complex. Might make more sense this way.

Stage 1:
When you have a certain amount of players on a map (Lets say 3), you can have the ability to nominate a Captain for a RP. The Captain nominated is then automatically placed into the Command Class and given Captain status.

Stage 2:
The captain from that point onwards (and the server admins via the admin panel or bind) can have a pop-up menu that allows them to assign a station to a player. So Player A is assigned to Tactical and Security so they are placed in the Tactical Class automatically. Player B is assigned to Medical so they are placed in the Medical Class automatically and so on. In addition, the captain can choose which alert they are at at any point through out the ship. If the captain isn't on the bridge, a hail is sent from his combadge to the bridge. This hail can be seen by all players.

Stage 3:
In this pop up menu, the captain can also then choose which enemny they are fighting (Borg, Cardassian, Federation etc) via a selection menu. In addition, there is an option to Evacuate the Ship, and Self Destruct the Ship. Both will have a "Are you sure?" Feature. If either button is pressed, the captain can give a set amount of time to give before the ship will self destruct and the map will change (1min, 2min, 5min, 10min). During the countdown, a alert sound is automactically played, and a countdown timer is set. There is also an option to mute the countdown and just have the alarm.

Stage 4:
Each officer at each different station can do different things. For example:
  • The Tactical Officer At (or within 5 meters of) the station can fire weapons, control shields, transport security teams
  • The Helm Officer at (or within 5 meters of) the station can use evaise manuovers, warp, hail ships, hail within the ship (On different decks), has power control
  • The OPS Officer at (or within 5 meters of) the station can scan the area, provide information about the enemy ship's damage and about own ship's damage. Can organise repairs and send orders to engineering, transport officers
  • The Science Officer at (or within 5 meters of) the station can scan the area in closer detail, perform long range scans, can perform research, help develop new weapons and similar, can transport officers and cargo.
  • The Engineering Officer at (or within 5 meters of) the station can provide status reports on ship's damage, has power control, can transport officers and cargo
  • The Medical Officer at (or within 5 meters of) the station can provide medical help by scanning paients and getting live data, can treat paients using equipment and more medicine (specific medicine) and can do research.
Stage 5:
The Server admin can then choose what type of damage is done to the Captain's ship, and how much. During the battle, the map can shake and simulate taking phaser and torpedo hits. For example, the server admin sets the damage to 50% over a 5 minute period. The enemy ship will attack for 5 minutes and cause 50% damage to the ship.

As you can see, my idea is very extensive, however, if all of it can be implemented, then it would make roleplaying more fun, and defiently bring in a new type of audience.

Hope you enjoy it, and if you can't employ all of the idea, at least some of it could be used.

Thanks

follow.png

Richard Evans

Risa - The Star Trek Social Media Website

http://goo.gl/gJsMU9

#2 Harry Young

Harry Young

Ubergames Lead Lua Coder

• UberGames Developer
  • 291 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:03 PM

Okay, here's my point of view on this.

Stage 1 Can easily be done via a quick talk if there is no line of succession. Autoclassing would require that everyone using the mod also uses the same class/ranksets or that new cvars be defined for translation (at least i can't think of another way). Also I believe that this would require a significant mod to the engine code and Gsio is reluctant to do so.

Stage 2 is pretty much the same: There'd be positions assigned before the RP, so why have a system that enables the captain to reassign? As for Alert-conditions there is a console command available for admins that should be delegable once we re-implement the user database.

Stage 3 is also something where I fail to see why the enemy would need to be put in a cvar. As far as self destructing goes I can imagine an entity that manages such a thing. In fact I am sure I could do it in lua so doing it in gamecode is highly possible. Question then is tough if we could provide an UI for that. In any case however It likely won't be retrofittable if you do want things like escape pods to be working. that could be done but would require a recompile of the map.

Stage 4 would also require either a fixed classset or translational cvars + a lot of retrofitting, but sure would be possible. But again what's the point with respect to the canon where everyone could jump in pushing basic buttons for about anyone else?

Stage 5 is... intreresting. Having an entity that monitores ship health and therefore deactivates systems or fires effects might be possible. However you also have to consider that if the health-count hit's 0 the ship and anyone on it would be considered dead. So while it is interesting I'm not sure it is a feasable idea cause In general let's not forget that while in STO you build an avatar that you go on missions with mostly, in RPG-X it's all about character that you have others interact with. Having a more realistic tactical element sure is an interesting addition, but it is also one that when used and respected can have serious consequences. Retrofitting as far as I'd imagine it would be a pain in the back end, but possible (also excluding escape pods).

#3 GSIO01

GSIO01

UberGames Developer

• UberGames Developer
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:08 PM

I agree to what Harry said.

Most interesting ideas I would be willing to look into at some point are the evac sequence and self destruct. Also the ship status/health is a nice idea. Maybe also in combination to the repair-system where the ship could be repaired by repairing systems that get damaged all over the ship.
Popup menus very hard to do in EF maybe even imposible (as long as they are not fullscreen). Anyway at least for the rpgxEF version this might be changed at some point in future.

#4 Richard Evans

Richard Evans

{S31} Admirals' Team

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:12 PM

Brilliant! I'm glad i was able to provide some good ideas.

I deffiently think that the Ship Health, Ship Evacuation and Self Destruct Sequence, and Ship Repair should appear in the new verison.

Also, I think there should be more support and compatibilty for Windows 7/8 :)

follow.png

Richard Evans

#5 Harry Young

Harry Young

Ubergames Lead Lua Coder

• UberGames Developer
  • 291 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:12 PM

FYI: I have posted a design-doc for the self destruct in the internal board and if I get positive feedback I might start working on that.

#6 Richard Evans

Richard Evans

{S31} Admirals' Team

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:21 PM

Oh awesome! :D Can't wait to see this

follow.png

Richard Evans

#7 mc8

mc8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:30 AM

Stage 3:
In this pop up menu, the captain can also then choose which enemny they are fighting (Borg, Cardassian, Federation etc) via a selection menu. In addition, there is an option to Evacuate the Ship, and Self Destruct the Ship. Both will have a "Are you sure?" Feature. If either button is pressed, the captain can give a set amount of time to give before the ship will self destruct and the map will change (1min, 2min, 5min, 10min). During the countdown, a alert sound is automactically played, and a countdown timer is set. There is also an option to mute the countdown and just have the alarm.

I believe this (in BOLD) is a feature better left to the map creators. An evacuation system is generally considered to be part of a PA system or an alarm. In RPG-X maps the alerts and the sounds/lights/panels are part of such a system. There are several maps that do implement systems for this purpose.

#8 Harry Young

Harry Young

Ubergames Lead Lua Coder

• UberGames Developer
  • 291 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:26 AM

This is just how we implemented this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users