2 replies to this topic

#1 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:50 AM

Hey guys!

I uh, probably should have announced this earlier, but I've been so crazy busy getting ready it wasn't funny.

I'm currently sitting in a hotel room in down-town San Francisco, with an all access pass to GDC next week! :D

What this will include is tutorial sessions on game design and dev, seminars from some of the major companies on some of their latest innovations in game tech, as well as simply networking and making new friends.

I've got a lot of things I want to do here, but probably one of the main ones is to go have a chat with people from Raven about EF (Who I've already confirmed will be present in the Activision booth). :D

If you have any questions about anything, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

-TiM

#2 Martin Thompson

Martin Thompson

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:33 PM

Did you get to talk to the Raven people. And, did you have fun?

#3 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

Haha whoops. I clean missed this thread. Sorry! Now's as good a time as any to post on how it went.

GDC.... wow. Holy freaking crap.

Words can't even begin to describe how incredibly overwhelming the experience was. This was a conference where the best and brightest in the entire game development world came together and spent a week talking about all the awesome stuff they did throughout 2011. Bethesda were there talking about Skyrim, DICE were there talking about Battlefield 3 and even Valve were there (Talking about how much money they've made out of TF2 hats XD )

It felt incredibly surreal. You could walk through the hallway and there'd be John Romero (OMG dat hair. XD ). I went out to a bar with some friends and lo and behold freaking NOTCH was in there!

It was also a little weird. Sure it was being held in an absolutely MASSIVE convention centre, but I found it kinda weird that the vast majority of the industry's finest were capable of fitting in a single convention centre. It makes you realise that the games dev industry is still really small.

I won't lie. I felt INCREDIBLY out of my league there. In all of the engine technology talks I went to, I'm pretty sure I didn't understand 80% of what was being said there. All of the coding stuff I did in RPG-X was incredibly light-weight compared to the hardcore stuff these guys were doing.

That might be a good thing though. It means you can properly ground yourself compared to the pros, and figure out where you need to go from there. :)

One thing I really wanted to do while I was there was to personally thank James Monroe on all the help he gave us with RPG-X (tweet here), but sadly, that wasn't possible this time.

Also, I tried to go see Raven and Activision, but it turns out that wasn't possible. I found out when I arrived there was that their only presence was in the careers pavilion (eg, a giant room where game companies had set up shop to receive resumes en masse from hopefuls wanting to join their ranks) and even then, they were only there to talk about employment (there was a HUGE line there. The only one rivalling it was Blizzard. Go figure. XD). Next time Gadget. Next time.

Anyway. I left GDC feeling inspired to learn more and try harder. At the same time, my self-esteem was completely wrecked.

-TiM

P.S Attached is a picture of my battle-worn pass. I rocked the UberGames title in style. XD

Attached Thumbnails

• photo.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users