6 replies to this topic

#1 Harry Young

Harry Young

Ubergames Lead Lua Coder

• UberGames Developer
  • 291 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:28 PM

Hey, again.

I believe I've started a similar thread once before but I'm to lazy digging for it so I'm going to simply make a new one.

On my current Project I have reached a size where not doing a vis-compile will put a heavy load on performance. I have put in working areaportals, I have set up hint-brushes properly I did a detail-pass yet I get the following dumped out:

=== running build command ===
"D:/games/eliteforce/NetRadiant/q3map2.exe" -v -connect 127.0.0.1:39000 -game ef -fs_basepath "D:/games/eliteforce/build-engine/" -fs_game RPG-X2  -vis "D:/games/eliteforce/build-engine/RPG-X2/maps/universeclass.map"
Connected.
6 threads
Q3Map		 - v1.0r (c) 1999 Id Software Inc.
Q3Map (ydnar) - v2.5.17n-svn402
NetRadiant    - v1.5.0n-svn402 Oct  4 2009 15:30:34
Your map saw the pretty lights from q3map2's BFG
--- InitPaths ---
VFS Init: D:/games/eliteforce/build-engine//RPG-X2/
VFS Init: D:/games/eliteforce/build-engine//baseef/
--- Vis ---
Loading D:/games/eliteforce/build-engine/RPG-X2/maps/universeclass.bsp
Loading D:/games/eliteforce/build-engine/RPG-X2/maps/universeclass.prt
11534 portalclusters
34627 numportals
49125 numfaces
69254 active portals
18812 hint portals
visdatasize:16701240
--- BasePortalVis (69254) ---
0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9... (69)
	 10 average number of passages per leaf
  -1188 MB required passage memory
--- CreatePassages (69254) ---
0************ ERROR ************
safe_malloc failed on allocation of 8672 bytes

Now, I doubt that it is really a lack of memory so I am wondering if anyone has at least a guess as to why my compile fails.

#2 Harry Young

Harry Young

Ubergames Lead Lua Coder

• UberGames Developer
  • 291 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:03 AM

Okay, I took another shot at it while watching my ressources and I was quite surprised to see that my memory actually stalled out. Therefore I bought another 8 GB of memory (special offer ^^) and will try again once they are installed

#3 GSIO01

GSIO01

UberGames Developer

• UberGames Developer
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:57 PM

Yeah vis compile can take a lot of memory to compute. Anyway 1188 MB a really huge ammount for passage memory. So I would suggest you try to optimize the map even more (most likely by doing more detailing). Anyway if you already have detailed everything possible there might be some other ways to optimize it a bit more. Even though I now alot about that topic I have to say I'm not the person knowing it best, but I know who's the best at it :D. That's Chrissstrahl who created the EF2 coop mod and is in my eyes the master in optimizing ID Tech 3 maps.

If you don't know him already I'm sure I can get you in touch with him.

#4 Harry Young

Harry Young

Ubergames Lead Lua Coder

• UberGames Developer
  • 291 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:11 PM

Yeah, I remember you directing me here: http://www.moddb.com...ed-game-engines
I forgot optimizing 3 Parts as far as details are concerned and I believe there a few little things in other areas that can be made detail but that affects about less than 2 percent of all brushes so that won't be the showstopper. And since the map will grow even more over time and I can't tear the map appart as all the decks are interlaced with one another I'll need more memory anyway. sitll I was surprised to see that 4 gigs really got stalled out by a compiler for an 11 year old game. I'm curous to see how a total of 12 Gigs will hold up ^^

Now on to get some Pizza delivered ^^

#5 Harry Young

Harry Young

Ubergames Lead Lua Coder

• UberGames Developer
  • 291 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:46 PM

... Okay, guess I'm going to Chris about this. I just installed the new RAM and did a new pass with even more tweaking but I'm somehow still 7568 bytes short and that time my RAM does not stall out. However I also did a fastvis and it somewhat worked. Detaild get faded out now but there is only one area that somehow only fades out everything unneded.

#6 GSIO01

GSIO01

UberGames Developer

• UberGames Developer
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:54 PM

Fast vis is very different from a normal vis it just does a very quick and very bad calculation of visibility.

Also I'm just wondering how long a vis with that much passage memory will take ... even if you get it work it might take forever. You seem to have a good CPU (6 cores ?) though. No idea.
I never had such problems though I don't now how big your map actually is. The biggest maps I ever copmpiled where Station Iowa (with about 38 mb passage memory I think and vis took less then half a minute) and the Enterprise E for EF2 (arround 100 mb passage memory and 5 minutes vis compile time).

#7 Harry Young

Harry Young

Ubergames Lead Lua Coder

• UberGames Developer
  • 291 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:49 PM

Jup, 6 Cores (all of them stalling out) and the 1st phase takes about a minute. Problem really is that I can not break the decks apart as they are really interlaced and I just can't do it that way I did with like a Jeffries-Tube and a few transporters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users