id code

6 replies to this topic

#1 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:45 AM

Wow.... I can barely remember when idTech 3 was open-sourced. Has it been that long already? XD

So in accordance with id's open-source policies, now that idTech 5's flagship game, Rage has been released, Johrn Carmack and Tim Besset have packaged up the idTech 4 engine code and released it online under the GPL license.

https://github.com/TTimo/doom3.gpl

When Doom 3 came out, there were a LOT of cool new features in there that I wanted to explore. Things like the ingame GUI system and the built-in effects and map editors. In addition to that, the MegaTexture system of Quake Wars looks amazing.

I think we could have a lot of fun with this... ;D

#2 GSIO01

GSIO01

UberGames Developer

• UberGames Developer
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 08:55 PM

When Doom 3 came out, there were a LOT of cool new features in there that I wanted to explore. Things like the ingame GUI system and the built-in effects and map editors. In addition to that, the MegaTexture system of Quake Wars looks amazing.

I think we could have a lot of fun with this... ;D

Totally agreed ... I wanted to have look on it for a long time. Somewhat hard to believe I finally can do so now. :)

#3 Scooter

Scooter

The Canon Man

• UberGames Admin
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:32 PM

Is there any possibility of converting Elite Force to run on the idTech 4 engine?

#4 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:04 PM

Someone asked me that before....

I'm not sure off the top of my head, but given idTech 3 was pure C and idTech 4 was id's move to C++, I'd say the codebases are going to be rather different...

That makes me wonder though. Would it be easier to try and port EF to idTech 4? Or easier to cherrypick the best parts of idTech 4 and integrate them into idTech 3...?

#5 GSIO01

GSIO01

UberGames Developer

• UberGames Developer
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:14 PM

Hmmm good question. I personall prefere to cherrypick as I like C more than C++ anyway that does'nt mean it's easier.
Anyway I guess it might be easier to pick parts from idTech 4 and implementing them in idTech 3 then redoing the whole RPG-X monster (lol :D) in idTech 4.

#6 Scooter

Scooter

The Canon Man

• UberGames Admin
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:11 AM

C++ and C have a lot of similarities with regards to syntax, but C is an earlier generation language. I would guess that it would be easier to go from C to C++; some things could possibly be accomplished with less code? My gut feeling is that the difficult part would be the character models, though TiM has done quite a bit of work on figuring out MD3.

#7 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:37 AM

Yeah....

My main concern is that whatever we did, I'd want it to 'feel' exactly the same as the EF of old yonder. If that requires re-writing swathes of code for idTech 4, it might end up being way more trouble than its worth.

Haha actually it was the MDR format (although MD3 was a bit of a challenge too)... but the problem is both of those are archaic formats now (MDR isn't truly skeletal, and in order to get cool FX like normal mapping, you need to append an extra bit of info for each vertex). idTech 4's MD5 format is an option.... but it looks like the general consensus is that since it's an ASCII format, it's quite in-efficient.

Although some mad coder incorporated a new format into icculus Q3 called 'IQM' that looks really promising... :) http://lee.fov120.com/iqm/

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users