11 replies to this topic

#1 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:29 PM

Blimey.

Between piles of client work and business trips last month (I can't believe I just said business trips), there has't been much free time for much else. ^_^;

One thing I've been working on however is a new design for the UberGames site. :D

I think everyone can agree that the old one had waaaaaaay too much text, not enough pictures, and colour-wise, ended up being a bit muddy. ^_^;

With all of those in mind, I've been aiming to go in the opposite direction; making the site as lean and mean as possible and with a much more contrasting set of colours.

I'm more or less putting the finishing touches on the initial draft design of the site. Instead of working on it in secret, I'm going to make it as verbose as possible here so people can chime in if they think something should be done differently.

The aim of this front page is to be as automatic as possible, with all of the content being pulled out of the forums. Although there is an ad-bar present, it should be possible to set it up so if someone is using an ad-blocker, removing the ad would be seamless.

Anyway... let me know what you think. I'm still trying to think up what we could put in that blank space under the screenshot... XD

-TiM

EDIT: Huh. Apparently I can't upload files. O_O Will need to check that. :S In the meantime, here's the screenshot: http://puu.sh/6ytH.jpg

#2 Harry Young

Harry Young

Ubergames Lead Lua Coder

• UberGames Developer
  • 291 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:45 AM

Nice ^^

#3 Harry Young

Harry Young

Ubergames Lead Lua Coder

• UberGames Developer
  • 291 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:53 AM

Well that looks better already ^^

#4 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:02 PM

Haha glad you like it ^_^

I'm still studying how this Invision CMS works tho... O_O I get the distinct feeling actually bringing that design to life is going to be no small amount of profanity. XD

#5 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 01:32 AM

Hmmm..... one thing I'm stuck on: that gap on the right hand column. I dunno what to put in there. ^_^;

Choices include:
-Link to the UberGames store (for obligatory T-shirts XD)
-Latest downloads in the download manager
-Calandar showing upcoming events.

What do you think would be best off in there?

#6 Harry Young

Harry Young

Ubergames Lead Lua Coder

• UberGames Developer
  • 291 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:24 AM

I'd go with the latest downloads

#7 John Adams

John Adams

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:02 AM

Agreed with Harry. I like it, when do you think it will be up?

#8 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:52 AM

Haha okay. Solved. Downloads it is. Now to just figure out how the heckaroo we're actually going to handle the downloads system. ^_^; Since the download manager I bought apparently can't handle Amazon S3... O_O

Haha ooh, I'm not sure yet!
This time around, the CMS we've got here is actually a submodule of the forums (The reason being, so user authentication runs through the forum accounts, and it allows us to easily reference content from the forums too).
This is actually very similar to how the site was set up before... only this time yours truly didn't write it (So if it breaks, it won't be my fault. XD).

So that being said, I'm wondering if it's worth building the forum theme first, and then figuring out what additional hooks I need to add to turn that into the main CMS theme.

Either way, the main downside to this CMS is it has a wicked learning curve... so it may take a little bit of elbow-grease. ;)

#9 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:32 PM

Criminey. It's almost been a year since this last update. Doesn't time fly...

When I said that this CMS had a wicked learning curve, I wasn't kidding. :( The good news is, I've spent most of this year learning it, and I THINK I've figured out how to make it do what we want.

At the same time, I've FINALLY found an awesome solution for Downloads, and have got it more or less running at this point. I'll post more on that in another thread. :)

I've been playing with the front page a little bit more, since something didn't quite feel right yet. Turns out those 3 content columns needed more defined boundaries.

Anyway, let me know what you think of that. If you can think of any other kind of dynamic feed data you'd want on the front page, let me know. :)

At this point in time, given how long this has taken, I'd like to just say that I think UberGames is taking on the Valve mentality. Stuff takes a long time to do, but hopefully it's well worth the wait. :)

-TiM

Attached Thumbnails

• UberGamesSite4.jpg

#10 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:15 PM

Whew!

Well, the good news is I've pretty much figured out the CMS now. It's definitely a steep learning curve, but it's worth it. It's WAY more flexible than WordPress and it's really easy to add new media via the browser.

Alrighty. So that last post's attachment was one that was fully mocked up in Photoshop. This one here is the index page, fully implemented and ready to go in the CMS. :D All of those feeds are live, and the main photo-scroller is now fully set up with a commercial solution. :)

Since the rest of the site is still filled with 'Insert content here', it's still disabled for now, but I hope to make it live very soon. :D

-TiM

Attached Thumbnails

• UberGamesSite.png

#11 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

Aaaand here's the thing I've been working on tonight: the template for each of UberGames' previous projects. ^_^

When I was reviewing the previous projects template on the 2007 UberGames site, I noticed one thing: They contained a lot of fluff. When you're looking to get introductory info on a new project, all you really need is a couple of shiny screenshots, a COUPLE of paragraphs summing up the whole thing, and then maybe a column of metadata on the side (With download links). Things like FAQs, or in-depth information about the finer mechanics of the project kind of get in the way. And a lot of game companies seem to do the same.

Anyway, the goal here is to set this template up as a literal HTML template, so the shape can be re-used across multiple projects, and only the information changes.

Also, as a side-note, I've already set it up so those giant graphics are actually coming out of Facebook via their API (I checked. Apparently Facbook is cool with this. As long as it's through their API). The goal here is to be able to feature all of these images in both places and not have doubling up of content. The feed is also dynamic, so when more images are added to the Facebook gallery, they'll propagate here too. :D

-TiM

Attached Thumbnails

• MicroPointsDesign.png

#12 GSIO01

GSIO01

UberGames Developer

• UberGames Developer
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:25 PM

Looks very good ... can't wait to see it once it is done :)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users