Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:14 PM

Look fine for me.

#23 Harry Young

Harry Young

Ubergames Lead Lua Coder

• UberGames Developer
  • 291 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:04 PM

Looks godd. Any plan on when you want to do the relocation?

#24 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:04 AM

Cool. Glad you like it guys. ^_^

I'm a lot happier with this layout. It's drastically cut down the number of boards to worry about, and hopefully should be a lot easier to use.

I guess I'll start moving the content around this week. I'll be sure to make multiple backups beforehand too.

Anyway, just in case the new layout ends up sucking, I'm going to make sure to tag each of the threads so it's still possible to separate them if necessary.

Also, at some point, I'm going to need to design a new theme for the forum too...

#25 Harry Young

Harry Young

Ubergames Lead Lua Coder

• UberGames Developer
  • 291 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:21 PM

I'd offer my help in tagging but I'd need the previlege of adding tags to topics that aren't mine

#26 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 04:28 PM

Haha thanks Harry.

At the moment, I haven't even got the prefix code working properly yet, so there's not much to tag now.

I'll see about getting you elevated privileges once I actually figure out the forum settings for them. XD

#27 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:57 AM

Alrighty. I THINK I've got prefixes more or less working now. Still gotta tie up a few loose ends with the forum backend tho before we can start the merge.

In the meantime, I spent a couple of minutes taking the UberGames template and rejigging it into a design for the forum.

It's a mish-mash of 'derived inspiration' from a pile of other gaming forums. Let me know if you can guess which ones. ;)

In any case, ideally I don't want to have to shift too much HTML... so I'm trying to keep the layout as close as possible to this theme.

Let me know if I've forgotten anything there.

-TiM

Attached Thumbnails

• UberGamesForums.png

#28 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 01:41 AM

Hum.... hum hum hum. O_O

Well... I went and re-arranged all of the boards, adding prefixes to all of the RPG-X boards in order to keep them isolated.

However... now that it's been done, I'm have a couple of reservations about the new content layout. O_O

The problem is that prefixes are a bit unwieldy, and it takes conscious effort to set them up when writing a new post. Also, unless you set them up PERFECTLY (this might be a bug), it's not actually possible to filter threads via prefixes (returns nil results ._.). Also, since prefixes are on a global basis in the forum, if you have multiple subforums using the same prefix, it can screw search results slightly too. O_O

So I'm wondering if it's a good idea to maybe ditch the concept of prefixes when dealing with UberGames projects and set up something different.
I don't really want to go back to how it was before (with the RPG-X forums) where we have epic piles of nested forums, but I'm now thinking it might be better to not break up projects along a set of 'common' boards like General, Screenshots etc.

So I went back and looked at a few of my favorite forums that deal with multiple game support:
http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/
http://irrationalgam...mmunity/forums/
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/

I think overall, it looks like it might be better to have one forum allocated to each project, and then on a case-by-case basis, see if we need to add subforums.

And for some of the legacy projects (eg Q3E, EFKT etc), we just have a single board in there, that does have prefixes.

I might draft up another layout design. But in the meantime, what does everyone think of the current layout?

Thanks!

#29 Harry Young

Harry Young

Ubergames Lead Lua Coder

• UberGames Developer
  • 291 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:22 PM

yeah, the current layout is okay but with what you say I agree that for bigger projects we should add at least one individual board.
Also I think we missunderstood a little as classroom now holds mapping-stuff that is more on the promotional side and less to none on the 'I need help'- side.

#30 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:56 PM

Alrighty. I did this a little earlier this year, but I went back and re-ordered all of the forums, and ditched prefixes.

At this point, there should be NO nested forums beyond 2 tiers, i.e, EVERY forum is clickable from the forum index without having to drop down any levels first.

Prefixes were an interesting experiment, but ultimately, they took too much effort to regulate, and they didn't integrate with the existing threads properly. :(

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users