23 replies to this topic

#1 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:12 PM

Whew! Well now. That was interesting. ^_^;

Sorry for the uh 'slight' downtime there guys. This whole incident kinda caught us by surprise. ^_^;

Obviously the code in all of the UberGames web app/services was older than I thought. When our hosting service made the change to PHP 5.3 and a pile of old functions and code methods were fully deprecated, basically everything up and died. The site, the forum, and pretty much anything else we made.

Anyway, there's nothing like a swift kick in the butt to get motivated to fix everything. XD

Alrighty, so here's the new UberGames forum!

After doing a lot of research, I decided not to renew my vBulletin license, and move the forum over to IPB. There are many reasons for doing this, but the main points were mainly to do with the cost, and coupled with the fact that I've been hearing terrifying things about vBulletin 4. ^_^; Since upgrading to vBulletin 4 would basically kill EVERY custom portion of the UberGames forum, now seemed like the best time to make the transition.

Now... this definitely isn't the end of the update yet. There's still a lot of stuff that needs doing. The main site still needs rebuilding and the forum needs a skin. Also, I need to do damage control for all of the other web apps/services (SteamerCard, the Wikis etc). Some were working before, but I think they all died now. ^_^;

Also, looking at a lot of the boards on this forum and seeing several clusters that have less than 10 posts in them... I think it's also time to rethink the forum structure and start moving/cleaning stuff around.

Anyway if you've got any suggestions or priorities you'd like with those, let me know. :)

Hope you guys like the new forum!

-TiM

#2 RedTechie

RedTechie

UberGames Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 276 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:25 AM

Not to mention the CloudFlare backed CDN (Content Delivery Network) and Web Application Firewall that the UberGames site and web services are operating through! XD

So what that means is now people around the world will have greatly reduced latency (no matter where you are located), faster loading pages, and no more forum spam!

Enjoy!
RedTechie
UberGames Administrator

Need Affordable Game Servers or Web Hosting?

Ennoverse Ltd.
http://www.ennoverse.com
http://www.ennoverse.co.uk
Affordable Game Servers, Web Hosting, Domains, and SSL.

We also offer Elite Force and Elite Force 2 hosting!

#3 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:35 AM

Hahaha oh yeah man. Probably should mention all of the awesome new stuff backing the site now. XD

Yeah! Being backed by CloudFlare is awesome. The loadtime latency for the UberGames site for me (being located way out in the middle of nowhere Australia XD) has decreased by 400% (Like a latency of like 390 dropped to under 100!). It's completely transparent on the user end, but hopefully you'll notice some speed gains. ^_^

I also meant to say that the UberGames service is now under a new domain. :D Given the VERY diverse amount of stuff we do/services we provide, we decided to go with a bit more of a generic TLD than .org and move to .net. Some day we'll get .com..... some day. XD

With the new domain also came a completely new server account implementation as well... meaning I'm going to have to migrate all of the other sites and services across to it in due time. ^_^;

#4 GSIO01

GSIO01

UberGames Developer

• UberGames Developer
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:23 AM

Yay it's back :)

#5 Harry Young

Harry Young

Ubergames Lead Lua Coder

• UberGames Developer
  • 291 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:31 PM

Pew... the new board will take some getting used to it but I'm glad ubergames is finally back in buissness ^^

#6 {UFP}Hathaway

{UFP}Hathaway

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 12:45 AM

Good to see you got the forums back online, I'm looking forward to seeing the updates :D

#7 sharpkiller

sharpkiller

Queen Fanatic

• Members
  • 491 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 12:45 AM

Glad to see it's finally back. :D

Sharpkiller.png

#8 Martin Thompson

Martin Thompson

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 01:38 PM

Yup, good to see this online..

Also, it might be a good idea to redirect ubergames.net/forums to forums.ubergames.net :P
I've been looking at the old link for ages when John told me "They are already online"
I was like "NO WAI" but they where online, just on a diff link :P

Thanks for all the hard work TiM!

#9 khamseen

khamseen

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 12:07 AM

Hadn't noticed it was back up with the URL having changed. Glad to see all is on the way to being well again. :)

Posted Image

#10 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:57 AM

Hehe thanks guys! Glad to see you're liking the new forum!

I was doing some looking around, and I couldn't find any nice (and free XD) third party skins for the board, so I'm going to start mocking up out own one.
This time around, I'm thinking of putting all of the progress up in the forums, so if anyone wants to suggest stuff for it as I'm going, I can see about working it into the design. :D

I also gotta see about getting all of the other services like the wiki and bug tracker across. Not sure how well they're going to mesh with the new forum software... ^_^;

-TiM

#11 Dom

Dom

I touch everything

• UberGames Admin
  • 921 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:03 AM

We'll find out as we go :)
Dom 'Phenix'
UberGames Developer

Ennoverse Web Hosting
http://www.ennoverse.com
http://www.ennoverse.co.uk
Affordable web hosting and domains.

A Division of UberNet Ltd.

#12 Taisen-74656

Taisen-74656

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:37 PM

Good to see the forums are back up! :)
Posted Image

#13 Alex H

Alex H

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:43 PM

Oh hai. I remember you guys! :P

Good to see it's all working again :)

Brex.png

There is no such thing as the perfect person, only those who love perfectly.

#14 Harry Young

Harry Young

Ubergames Lead Lua Coder

• UberGames Developer
  • 291 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:17 PM

[...]and no more forum spam!

Uh... no. I had to delete some in the last days...

#15 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:47 AM

!&*^#$#!&* >_<

How do they keep getting past the filters? We're using ReCAPTCHA and everything now. ^_^;;;

#16 Captain Janeway

Captain Janeway

Captain, USS Voyager

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:38 PM

And after months of searching, I've just found the forums again! D'oh!

Posted Image
"There's Coffee in that Nebula!" Captain Kathryn Janeway
"Captain's Perogative is just a fancy term for excuses, Captain's aren't always right!" Callum

#17 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:39 AM

Haha welcome back Janeway! Good to see you again. ^_^

Yeah the forums are going through a bit of a transitional period now. If you noticed any of the previous URLs to get here were broken, please let me know.

#18 Captain Janeway

Captain Janeway

Captain, USS Voyager

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:07 PM

Thanks TiM, so glad to see the project is still alive :)

It was blind luck I found them again actually through a Google search. All my previous bookmarks were broken :S

Posted Image
"There's Coffee in that Nebula!" Captain Kathryn Janeway
"Captain's Perogative is just a fancy term for excuses, Captain's aren't always right!" Callum

#19 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:23 AM

Haha thanks Janeway. ^_^

Oh dear really? Can you give me an example of one of your bookmarks?

We'd set it up so 'www.ubergames.org/forums/' should redirect to 'forums.ubergames.net', but I wonder if it's handling the URI component properly too... O_O

#20 GSIO01

GSIO01

UberGames Developer

• UberGames Developer
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:55 AM

Well I'm getting 404 for www.ubergames.org/forums/. It seems it not redirecting to forums.ubergames.net but to ubergames.net/forums/.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users