13 replies to this topic

#1 John

John

Computer Techie

• RPG-X Tester
  • 285 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 03:21 PM

Posted Image

Starbase 45 is a small station comprising of a central station supported by a group of drydocks and buildings on the nearby planet Argus 4.

This map is currently in development but I need some feedback on what has been created so far. I've received some comments like the command deck is too big and I would to know some other peoples views on the map layout.

You can find more screen shots of the science lab, medical wing and other areas on my blog, link in signature.

---John

#2 Max_Hunt

Max_Hunt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 03:42 PM

Woow. This is absolutely awesome.

But won't it be a bit to large for roleplaying?

-Max

#3 Veritas

Veritas

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 05:41 PM

It looks great, but I agree with Max - it definitely is a bit too spaced out, with lots of empty space that could be put to better use. If you want to go for the "big" feel, I suggest adding more consoles, more to do, so that it seems large but also busy. Remember that on a space station, every bit of space has to have a purpose - because space stations are resource expensive!

Will you be releasing a testing version of the map, or are you looking for testers? If so, I'm sure I could find some people who'd like to test.
Posted Image

#4 John

John

Computer Techie

• RPG-X Tester
  • 285 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 06:27 PM

Currently I just want to get some layout feedback over the next week and then we will see about a new test map.

Also as people do feel command is too big does anyone want to suggest a better layout?

#5 Harry Young

Harry Young

Ubergames Lead Lua Coder

• UberGames Developer
  • 291 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 08:40 PM

I can't help myself but the basic layout looks like Station Iowa (OPS and Above Offices and Confroom). I think that your only good option is to scale down the entire thing. Even filling the Room wont be enough to make it reasonable.

#6 John

John

Computer Techie

• RPG-X Tester
  • 285 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:19 PM

The first design of that deck was created quite a long time ago, before Iowa came out I believe, or at least before I saw that map, it was used to be flat with a staircase to the conference room from the main control area, this is now located at the rear of the deck which allowed for the newer levelled design of the consoles. In regards to the similar layout all I can say is we had similar ideas.

#7 Ferengi

Ferengi

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:11 PM

Why are there 3 command-chairs? Deep Space 9 doesn't have them either. A station commander in the alpha quadrant wouldn't sit on the OPS for long. They have more to do in there offices. I don't think that they are neccesary.

Also it's a bit blocky and ugly in some places. Maybe you should add more details to walls and architecture.

-Marc
Posted Image

#8 Grizz

Grizz

• RPG-X Tester
  • 984 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:58 PM

Why are there 3 command-chairs? Deep Space 9 doesn't have them either. A station commander in the alpha quadrant wouldn't sit on the OPS for long. They have more to do in there offices. I don't think that they are neccesary.

Also it's a bit blocky and ugly in some places. Maybe you should add more details to walls and architecture.

-Marc

The command chairs certainly won't hurt anyone, on the other hand.

#9 John

John

Computer Techie

• RPG-X Tester
  • 285 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 01:09 PM

I do agree that the chairs wouldn't be used often however during situations when a commander is required they are there if they want to use them. They also offer more options for uses of the map. And in regards the blocky look of some areas remember it is not finished and areas are still being retrofitted, examples of that happening recently are the science lab and the ED. Currently I want to find out if the general layout is good because it is pointless wasting time working on an area just to find out people don't like it.

#10 Richard Evans

Richard Evans

{S31} Admirals' Team

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 05:30 PM

I like the look of the map, and from some of the other screenshots i've seen, it is very promising. I love the science lab, and the transporter room. Engineering looks very nice as well. I'd love to help testing, or to continue to provide feedback! :)

follow.png

Richard Evans

Risa - The Star Trek Social Media Website

http://goo.gl/gJsMU9

#11 John

John

Computer Techie

• RPG-X Tester
  • 285 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:21 PM

Posted Image

New command deck and other updates -> Blog Post

#12 Harry Young

Harry Young

Ubergames Lead Lua Coder

• UberGames Developer
  • 291 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 11:49 PM

I like the bluish lighting and the new Command Deck very much altough all the rooms look somewhat stoish regarding their hight. You might want to consider lowing the celing a little.

#13 USS_Ragnarok

USS_Ragnarok

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:02 PM

This is looking really, really, REALLY nice. I've been in the RPG-X community for quite some time now, and long have I said how much we needed more starbase maps. I always liked Starbase 315 because it had the shopping district, but it also was always a bit small of course, and now here we go with Starbase 45. I can tell you one thing everyone will appreciate: Plenty of quarters. Far too many maps nowadays have only one or two quarters; make sure you put in enough that everyone can have a quarters. I'd also like to see something nice with the ship docking bay... if you can do it, a really cool thing would be if it was possible to make a ship dock that you could then board. It would be small of course, but it would still be cool. Could have an engineering, a bridge, a couple other small things. Also nice would be, say, a shuttle that launches, flies around the outside of the station, and re-docks. I know some of this may be impossible to implement, but I can still dream, hope, and suggest. :) Oh, and, looking at the shopping district, I feel oddly like it should be possible to go outside and walk around the station's hull, but maybe that's just me, lol. One last thing I like is transportation tubes - like a railway car inside a tube, you know? One that would take you from some point on the station to another, like Sorbet had on that one map of his, Orbital, only maybe something a little better designed, lol (no insult to Sorbet; his maps are unique and cool, just very polygony, lol).

However, I'm loving the layout. I do agree the command in the first picture up there is rather large, but large is good - there's just too much unused space. If you want an example of how to make large and good work in the same sentence, check out the Nimitz: http://eliteforce2.f...SS_Nimitz;60080 - the mapper there managed to make a HUGE bridge, but every part of it (mostly; there's a bit of an expanse between the command chairs and the forward consoles, but it really works) is used, and it gives you the feel of some massive research vessel.

Anyway, I really and truly can't wait to see the first release of this map - whether that's an alpha-test release or whatever, I can't wait to see it. Best wishes, friend!

-USS Ragnarök
Posted Image

"Thor, Hlödyn's son, protector of mankind, ride to meet your fate; Ragnarök awaits!"

#14 John

John

Computer Techie

• RPG-X Tester
  • 285 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:49 PM

I've just released a new beta in case any is interested. You can find all the details here http://jfmediastudio...x.php?board=5.0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users