• You cannot reply to this topic

4 replies to this topic

#1 GSIO01

GSIO01

UberGames Developer

• UberGames Developer
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:45 AM

This thread deals with the topic on creating a random map generator which was first discussed in this thread.

Martin Thompson and I both had this idea separately. Even though Martin's work is for ST Freelance we think we also might work on a complete separate program as well.

The aim of such a program is to create a mapfile containing a randomly generated level based on prefabs.

Feel free to share your thoughts, ideas, and suggestions with us.

#2 Martin Thompson

Martin Thompson

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:04 AM

The basic idea we have at the moment (which I already have a working program for, I will post some screenshots later on):

-Load up all kind of seperate "pre fabricated map pieces" (or prefabs for short) contained in seperate .map files. One for each prefab.
(for example a floor piece, a wall piece, a roof piece etc.) All these pieces ATM are build so they can "build" a map with blocks of
128x128 game units. AKA the floor/roof piece is a 128x128 game unit size slab, a wall is 128 game units wide and 128 game units heigh etc.

-Generate a maze-like square or rectangular room.

-Put in prefabs on the places a wall is generated in the maze like room.

-Write back the room into a .map file for a mapper to edit or compile directly.

This idea could also be extended by for example generating a map that has several
maze like rooms that are interconnected by hallways. Or for example
a maze like room with not only just walls but also more complicated
sections of scenery.

Like GSIO01 said, please give us your thoughts and tell us what YOU would like to see
in such a random map generator!

#3 Alex H

Alex H

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 11:49 AM

Not so much about the program, but these prefabs... could you release them on their own tohelp ametur mappers? Also do these contain entities like doors or buttoned doors?

Brex.png

There is no such thing as the perfect person, only those who love perfectly.

#4 Martin Thompson

Martin Thompson

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 04:24 PM

Yes you can!

A prefab is bascially a .map file containing a piece of a map in a specific area.
For example, a floor piece could be a .map file containing 1 brush of 128x128x1 game units
positioned with its bottom left corner int eh exact middle of the map (coordinates 0,0,0).
This has to be like this since the map generator assumes certain positions of the
prefabs it imports.

Currently my .map im-/exporter doesn't include entities yet (nor patches) but I'm sure
support for this will be build in once we get things started since having your basic
door or button or even a turbolift would be nice.

#5 Alex H

Alex H

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 08:44 PM

Yey, I love you again :P

Brex.png

There is no such thing as the perfect person, only those who love perfectly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users