• You cannot reply to this topic

8 replies to this topic

#1 Telex Ferra

Telex Ferra

• Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:36 PM

No not drips

If it's possible to add lingering debris, then is it possible to add a pool of water to a map? Say I want to have an RP where a ship has crashed and part of it is flooding, so I go to a deck and point at the ground and specify a height. Then a pool of water of a specified height will expand in all directions until it encounters something clipped, like a wall or a door. (But expands through the door if it's open)

is this possible?

#2 Captain Janeway

Captain Janeway

Captain, USS Voyager

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:42 PM

Didn't they do this in the SP story with a part of Deck 11 (cargo storage area) flooding with lethal chemicals?

It is possible this was all mapping with pre-exisiting entities which would mean it wouldn't be impossible to do in RPGX.

Posted Image
"There's Coffee in that Nebula!" Captain Kathryn Janeway
"Captain's Perogative is just a fancy term for excuses, Captain's aren't always right!" Callum

#3 JDavid

JDavid

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:11 PM

What about new users joining and/or the lag ? (Just curious.)

#4 Alex H

Alex H

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:45 PM

I don't think its possible, they made a mod for Garrys mod that does this, and after about a bathtub full of water the engine crashes. Now lets point out here that EF is MUCH less advanced than the source engine :P
Also most ingame water is scripted and not controlled by physics. Waterfalls in games don't actually go anywhere, its the same texture in a constant loop. And things like an avalanche in a game are usually scripted as blocks of textures.

Brex.png

There is no such thing as the perfect person, only those who love perfectly.

#5 Telex Ferra

Telex Ferra

• Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:47 PM

I wasn't suggesting physics. Just a pool of water

#6 John

John

Computer Techie

• RPG-X Tester
  • 285 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:54 AM

Like a forcefield on its side with a water texture?

#7 Alex H

Alex H

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:23 AM

You said sometjing about it flowig through a room when the door was open. A forcefield on its side with water texture would probably work.. but it would only be that slice that looked like water, and there'd be no way to pass through it.
Then again you mentioned a ship crash landed with bits under water... rpg_crashsite :P

Brex.png

There is no such thing as the perfect person, only those who love perfectly.

#8 GSIO01

GSIO01

UberGames Developer

• UberGames Developer
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:09 AM

Didn't they do this in the SP story with a part of Deck 11 (cargo storage area) flooding with lethal chemicals?

It is possible this was all mapping with pre-exisiting entities which would mean it wouldn't be impossible to do in RPGX.

Yes. There was an dummy brush entity with the texture on it which was moved by scripting I think.

What about new users joining and/or the lag ? (Just curious.)

I don't think this would be a problem.

Like a forcefield on its side with a water texture?

This would be the way I would base this on ... maybe rather a box than a plane though. Anyway this is only the visual part.
The main problem might be to get the engine to treat such areas like water ...

#9 Martin Thompson

Martin Thompson

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 07:02 PM

Is it not possible to spawn your own new entity?
The problem would be to spawn it as a brush. Since the engine indexes every brush whent he map is compiled and loads them up when a uses loads the map, i dont know if its possible to spawn a brush, but an entity is certainly possible (force field is exellent example).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users