New Effect: Debris

• You cannot reply to this topic

8 replies to this topic

#1 Alex H

Alex H

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:01 AM

There is currently the effect called Chunks, but it quickly disappears which makes its useless for Machinima and 'blocking' off an area without a forcefield.

I know you can't make the chunks 'hard' or the whole engine would die in a horrible blaze of graphics card on fire-ness. But still is there a way to change the delay at which the chunks 'decay' to stop them from disappearing after a couple of seconds?

Brex.png

There is no such thing as the perfect person, only those who love perfectly.

#2 GSIO01

GSIO01

UberGames Developer

• UberGames Developer
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:14 AM

It is possible to alter the time they stay, maybe even so the user can set thsi value.
Making them stay forever would require some more work to mange the ammount of chunks on the client side, guess something similar to the game entity index on the server side and flush commands.

Also there still is a problem with clients connecting, they won't see the chunks and also chunks don't have any collision data tht would block player movement. These are two are of course only problems concerning RPs and not making a mashinima.

#3 Alex H

Alex H

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:54 AM

Well there is still use of debris in RP, and frankly the only RP that happens now are SRPs... so people should be there from the start. But if you se a corridor that LOOKS blocked off your not likely to go there. That being said at the Voyager SRP someone ran into an EPS explosion, despite the effects and /msg use and being told in chat :P

Brex.png

#4 Captain Janeway

Captain Janeway

Captain, USS Voyager

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:16 PM

I suppose (if it's even possible) for triggerable debris/chunks, you could have an invisible Func_usable block off the corridor at the point the effect appears.

Posted Image
"There's Coffee in that Nebula!" Captain Kathryn Janeway
"Captain's Perogative is just a fancy term for excuses, Captain's aren't always right!" Callum

#5 Telex Ferra

Telex Ferra

• Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:31 PM

I could see that being disruptive though. Imagine an admin drops some debris and then leaves without cleaning it up.

I think people need to just know not to walk through the debris. Making the path actually blocked limits the game and RP potential.

#6 JDavid

JDavid

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 01:27 PM

I agree with Telex but it should be an option add on maybe in the cmd for it to be non-passable ?

#7 zEE

zEE

Engai Juunin

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 01:28 PM

I could see that being disruptive though. Imagine an admin drops some debris and then leaves without cleaning it up.

That could be fixed like in Gmod, after about 1-5 minutes after the admin disconnects the obstructive entities delete themselves. and have a server file that can be set to define any permanent things, or presets for situations.

I think people need to just know not to walk through the debris. Making the path actually blocked limits the game and RP potential.

but it also can help keep those pesky nosy noobs from possibly interrupting something by either walking in on it or by bypassing the whole problem the RP is focused on, then unwittingly (or wittingly for some) RP about it.
In all honesty I'd love to see something like this, cause all "obstruction" RPs I have done directly involve premapped obstructions, not server defined, it can provide some variety.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 Telex Ferra

Telex Ferra

• Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 06:45 PM

If somebody accidentally does it, then it's an accident.

If a n00b does it intentionally, then it should be handled accordingly.

We shouldn't shape our RPG updates around how n00bs will react to/use them

#9 Alex H

Alex H

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:45 AM

I agree with Telex

Brex.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users