Star Trek Dauntless Logo

• You cannot reply to this topic

31 replies to this topic

#1 Martin Thompson

Martin Thompson

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:17 PM

I made a logo for the SRP im CO off, tell me what you think, give me some feedback etc maybe i can improve it:

Posted Image

Here it is implemented in another image:

Posted Image

#2 JDavid

JDavid

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:41 PM

There is no need for the glow unless it suits the image in question/fits the purpose. In the image you provided it is not needed/nor for this "logo". The effects that the text has already is good enough to make it stand out from any background. I suggest you use these effects on a more thicker Communicator shape instead of the thin pen tool line.

If this comment and critique is too harsh for you...uninstall Photoshop and never use it again.

#3 Martin Thompson

Martin Thompson

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:56 PM

The glow is actually to bring some colour into the image instead of having just an iron text line. As for the communicator shape, i tried to do sort of a mix of a communicator and the countour of Dauntless, this might not be verry clear though. I wanted to do the nacelles too, but then the image would have gotten to high.

If this comment and critique is too harsh for you...uninstall Photoshop and never use it again.

That really wasn't nescecary to say yanno...

#4 Telex Ferra

Telex Ferra

• Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 09:02 PM

I agree

JDavid, was that really necessary?

I like the logo, but I don't like it attached to the CO's backside in the pic.

#5 JDavid

JDavid

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 10:36 PM

I found it was :P Im a harsh critic when it comes to this stuff. Id rather show people its actually not ok to sugar coat things. :/ To voice their true opinions.

#6 Martin Thompson

Martin Thompson

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 10:24 AM

I like the logo, but I don't like it attached to the CO's backside in the pic.

Yeah i might have put it in a bit akward there, might have been better at the top right or if i would have taken the bridge pic from another angle.

#7 Robertson

Robertson

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 12:53 PM

I agree with J. David, the glow isn't necessary, if you believe there isn't enough colour in the text, add some, it doesn't have to be bright pink, just a slight shade of blue with the Grey. Play with it. Outer glows 99% of the time look incredibly tacky on logo's.
Posted Image
The above signature is a testament to the days when roleplaying was actually alive.

#8 JDavid

JDavid

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 01:09 PM

Thank you Robertson. I knew there was someone out there who agreed with me. ;)

#9 Alex H

Alex H

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 01:23 PM

Yeah no text glow... shove the glow on the combadge/dauntless thing

Brex.png

There is no such thing as the perfect person, only those who love perfectly.

#10 Martin Thompson

Martin Thompson

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 04:57 PM

Alright, I fiddled a bit with it and removed the glow. I also rearranged the "commbadge" thing a bit to more represent the Dauntless contour. I got a version with and without a faded dauntless, I think the one without the faded dauntless fits better though.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 JDavid

JDavid

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 05:57 PM

Much better id say. ;)

#12 Lannister

Lannister

• Members
  • 990 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 02:00 PM

The thing with graphics design, is that the end result is something that you're happy with and has expressed what you originally set out to do when you first opened your graphics editor of choice.

It really doesn't matter if someone dislikes part of your image or not, as long as you yourself are happy with it. There isn't anything wrong with using various layer styles, providing they don't completely take over the image.

That said, the second image is actually a lot better than the first.

#13 Martin Thompson

Martin Thompson

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 09:47 AM

At first, i still liked my first one better, but i have to admit that my second one looks better on my mobile phone lol. It does look a bit more professional but i still fell its lacking something. The faded Dauntless didnt really work out, maybe i can do something else to express the ship in the logo somehow?

#14 JDavid

JDavid

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:43 PM

Create a vector style image of one in the background, behind the arrow head thing ?

#15 Nikki

Nikki

Chief Medical Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 06:29 PM

Might I suggest to use capital letters? Instead of Star Trek Dauntless maybe STAR TREK DAUNTLESS

It might look better on with that font.

Posted Image

#16 Martin Thompson

Martin Thompson

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:56 PM

Might I suggest to use capital letters? Instead of Star Trek Dauntless maybe STAR TREK DAUNTLESS

It might look better on with that font.

Yeah I actually noticed that on the Star Trek Freelance mod site, Griffin put it in caps and it might actually be better cuz the movie titles are in caps too.

Create a vector style image of one in the background, behind the arrow head thing ?

What exactly do you mean by that?

Thanks for the feedback guys.

#17 Martin Thompson

Martin Thompson

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 08:58 PM

Alright, I treid it with caps now. But with Caps the logo gets to big to the side so i moved some stuff around, I dunno which one i like better though.

Posted Image

#18 Nikki

Nikki

Chief Medical Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 10:26 AM

That looks very good now :)

Another suggestion would be (thats how I would do it) put the arrow behind the font and increase the size a bit. Also the Image of the Dauntless in that arrow was looking very nice.

Posted Image

#19 Martin Thompson

Martin Thompson

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 01:58 PM

I tried fiddeling with the arrow actually, putting it behind/infront or semi-infront/behind like i have now but then a bit different (alternating the infront/behind every time the arrow crosses a letter for example) and I found that this looked best. I also already increased the size of it and I played around with that too, but i might be able to adjust that still, maybe make the line a bit wider itself. I also put that white glow in the middle as a "big arrow" but its not really obvious it is an arrow. I first planned it to be behind the text as the same shape as the arrow but with a glass-like fade on it. Unforunately i failed miserably at doing that so I did the fade thing it has now, but because of that the arrow-shape isnt really clearly visible anymore, but i still like it.

#20 JDavid

JDavid

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 02:58 PM

Like a cartoon version using shapes instead of pixels to create an image. Example:

Posted Image

Though at its present state Id keep it as it is.

Why not put it at the far right of the text ? At the end of the "k" in Trek ? Overlapping the seperator and Dauntless ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users