Japanese Language Proficiency Test

8 replies to this topic

#1 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 05:38 PM

Well, it's official. I've applied to take the exam this year.

For those of you who don't know of it, the JLPT is an exam held every year used to gauge a person's skill at Japanese. The point behind it being that it becomes a professional qualification that can be beneficial for many things like study and work in Japan.
There are 4 difficulty levels to choose from, with 4 being deadbeat easy, to 1 being so hard, most native Japanese people would struggle with it. :D

I've decided to try Level 2 up front, which is apparently a pretty high up leap from 3... so I'm not very sure what to expect.

At the moment I know two friends who are trying out for Level 2 as well, and one crazy mofo who's going to take Level 1 on. :D

In any case, I'm considering turning this chunk of this little board here into a JLPT study center where resources and study tips can be compiled in an organised way. :)

So yeah... the exam's on December 7. Here goes nothing. XD

#2 RJay45

RJay45

UberGames Developer

• UberGames Admin
  • 329 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 10:15 PM

Good luck with that. So I guess you've done level 3 then?

#3 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:00 AM

Haha thanks. O_O

Um... no.... but I tried a level 3 practice exam and thought it was too easy. And there's no point doing an easy exam. :P

Sadly, level 2 is a pretty epic jump from 3... :P

#4 Scooter

Scooter

The Canon Man

• UberGames Admin
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:20 AM

Do you have to pay to take the exam?

#5 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:13 PM

Yeah 70 dollars AUD... so I'd better not fail. :P

#6 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:41 AM

Jeez, it's been a year already?! O_O

Okay, well... I guess I didn't put an update as to what happened.

I kinda failed... by 3%. ;_;
So, I'm going to try again this year... hopefully more wary of what this exam entails now. :P

The hardest bit with Japanese is the Chinese symbols, called Kanji (漢字)... for level 2, you have to explicitly know about 1000 of them (and for level 1, you gotz to know 2000 O_O).

The majority of the exam is basically reading really complex passages taken from newspapers and books... usually about really weird complex things like economic and psychological trending/statistics as well as short stories and all of that... so if you don't know Kanji really well, it's pretty much guesswork making sense of all of it... :skeptical:
Last time I checked, I can identify about 400 different Kanji... but that's not even half-way for what is needed... so I srsly gotta work on that.

So the application period started this week, and I'm busy filling out all of the forms I gotta do. After this, I think I gotta see about finding a good method of practicing Kanji... in such a way that I don't forget them 5 minutes later. XD

Also from what I hear, starting from 2010, the JLPT exam is going to be totally re-vamped... supposedly being broken up into 5 levels instead of 4... so I'm hoping I can pass it this year, otherwise I'm back in the dark for next year...

Ah well, here we go again. XD

#7 Lannister

Lannister

• Members
  • 990 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 01:59 PM

Hehe, sounds like a lot of fun. Best of luck to you. :)

#8 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:42 AM

Haha thanks. ^_^

It looks like a pretty hard uphill battle tho... :$

#9 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 04:18 PM

Oh... right....

I got my results back for the 2009 exam recently.

I failed.... again. This time.... by 0.5%. :

I've decided to take a break from doing Japanese exams this year. Too much stress and it distracts me from doing more cool stuff like UberGames projects. :P

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users