• 470 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:39 AM

-Star Trek TOS Season 1
-Star Trek TNG Seasons 2-7
-Star Trek DS9
-Stargate SG-1 Seasons 1-8
-Farscape
-Firefly
-NuBSG Seasons 1-3 (it started getting "WTF" after the New Caprica arc)

End of line.
Posted Image

#2 Telex Ferra

Telex Ferra

• Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 01:39 PM

Babylon 5

I can't speak for Battlestar Stargatica (SGU), but it looks pretty good.

#3 Robertson

Robertson

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 11:16 PM

Now, if you had actually, and I mean actually, as in watching at least the pilot of the show the whole way through. I might be okay with you insulting the show by calling it 'Battlestar Stargatica' as yes, it does have some similarities with the show, y'know, like Star Wars had some similarities with Star Trek, namely that they were both based in space and had 'Star' as part of the name... But as you confess to have never even seen the show, don't insult it based on rumour and blog's, I mean sure, if this was some way overblown fan-girl craze like Twilight I could understand it, but it's not, it's a show thats giving some life to the ever ailing presense of new science fiction on television.

Good day to you.
Posted Image
The above signature is a testament to the days when roleplaying was actually alive.

#4 Smyth Wesson

Smyth Wesson

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 02:20 AM

The lack of good space opera shows is nothing to be concerned about. When Star Trek Enterprise crashed, it took the subgenre with it - lower-budgeted space opera became the norm, and declined in popularity.

There's been plenty of good science fiction shows in the 2000s that haven't relied on spaceships and lasers and what-not. There's been plenty of crap, mind you, but plenty of good stuff too.

This is normal. Do not panic.

There were no good space opera shows in the 70s, and it was pretty sparse in the 80s as well. Star Trek TNG spawned a market for shows like B5 and so on.

Major franchises act as a catalyst for that niche, so the return of Star Trek or the much-rumored Star Wars live action show would both be events that would engender the rise of multiple competitors.
Posted Image

#5 Telex Ferra

Telex Ferra

• Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 02:21 AM

Now, if you had actually, and I mean actually, as in watching at least the pilot of the show the whole way through. I might be okay with you insulting the show by calling it 'Battlestar Stargatica' as yes, it does have some similarities with the show, y'know, like Star Wars had some similarities with Star Trek, namely that they were both based in space and had 'Star' as part of the name... But as you confess to have never even seen the show, don't insult it based on rumour and blog's, I mean sure, if this was some way overblown fan-girl craze like Twilight I could understand it, but it's not, it's a show thats giving some life to the ever ailing presense of new science fiction on television.

Good day to you.

Just because I'm not watching it doesn't mean that people I know aren't watching it.

Good night to you

#6 Robertson

Robertson

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 02:36 PM

Well done for proving you can create you own opinion.

Wait, sorry, no. Wrong person.
Posted Image
The above signature is a testament to the days when roleplaying was actually alive.

#7 Lannister

Lannister

• Members
  • 990 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:32 PM

Well done for proving you can create you own opinion.

Wait, sorry, no. Wrong person.

You're assuming Telex has only discussed it with people though. Telex could easily have caught several minutes of the show on several occasions without having a consistent interest in it.

I think you took both of the posts Telex made quite a bit too much to heart. Perhaps more so when what Telex initially said is actually reasonably valid. From a production point of view, both Battlestar Galactica and Stargate Universe are quite similar - with the latter utilizing techniques first made popular by the former.

It's not unusual for production teams to take ideas from other successful productions and adopt them to suit the format of their current project. Considering the success of Battlestar Galactica, coin-phrasing it's name is hardly an insult, despite the possible intent.

#8 Telex Ferra

Telex Ferra

• Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:52 PM

Thank you Hocking,

I have seen a few minutes here and there, and I've watched a few of the webisodes. It looks like a good show, but I don't want to watch it before I watch SGA.

#9 Apprentice

Apprentice

Mighty pirate!

• Members
  • 558 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:00 PM

There were no good space opera shows in the 70s, and it was pretty sparse in the 80s as well. Star Trek TNG spawned a market for shows like B5 and so on.

I say the original Battlestar Galactica series and Blake's 7 . . .

#10 btedford

btedford

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 02:54 PM

TNG may have spawned some kind of market but it didn't spawn a market for B5. Babylon 5 got turned down so many times because of Star Trek.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users