Star Trek: Online

111 replies to this topic

#41 Alex H

Alex H

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:57 PM

I know this isn't really the place, but I need to store it somewhere. :P
Although the final battle was very good I wasn't around to enjoy the most part of it :(
............................................______ __........................
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,..................
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,............
.........................,/...............................................”:, ........
.....................,?........................... ...........................\,.....
.................../.................................................. .........,}....
................./.................................................. ....,:`^`..}....
.............../.................................................. .,:”........./.....
..............?.....__............................ .............:`.........../.....
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../........
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`..... ..._/...........
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}...........
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../............
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`..... }............../.............
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”...............
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\...................
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__...........
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|........... ...`=~-,....
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\... .....................
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\............. ..........
................................`:,,.............. .............`\..............__..
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``.......
........................................_\........ ..._,-%.......`\...............
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\..............

Brex.png

There is no such thing as the perfect person, only those who love perfectly.

#42 Tucker

Tucker

• UberGames Admin
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 04:52 PM

It really is a good game, however if a little repetitive and definately cannot be played alone... well not from what i've seen in the beta. I just cannot decide whether paying £180 for a lifetime subscription will really be worth it or whether to just pay monthly subscription for as long as I play it... >:)

#43 Arron Dominion

Arron Dominion

• Members
  • 499 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:57 AM

I really enjoyed the open beta, and I will probably be playing STO more than the current games I play.
Posted Image

#44 The Tenth Doctor

The Tenth Doctor

Admiral of the Fleet

• Members
  • 597 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:04 PM

I have pre-ordered and plan to get the lifetime. Considering that the subscription will pay for itself in less than two years, I'm up for taking out a commitment now. :)

Luke Sutton, AKA 'The Doctor'

Media critic, writer, filmmaker, gamer, Trekker, and Time Lord. Site manager (still!) of Elite Force Files.com & creator of fan-film series Star Trek: UnitySatire is to me what winning elections isn't to Gordon Brown.

For links and info on my projects & investigations, view my blog:

http://lukesutton.blogspot.com/

Personal opinions are not endorsed by Filefront, Gateway Productions or Unity Starbase.

#45 Lannister

Lannister

• Members
  • 990 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:42 PM

I had a rather unpleasant experience during Closed Beta that resulted in my having to reformat and swearing away from Star Trek Online. Cryptic have since split the ridiculously large files into various smaller pieces, so the problem I ran head first into is likely gone.

With that in mind and despite my other gripes with the game, I've succumb to peer pressure and am anxious to get my feet wet again. Providing my hard drive doesn't turn into scrambled eggs tomorrow when I try to turn it on after having ran the client tonight - I'll seriously be considering picking up a lifetime as well. :)

#46 Alex H

Alex H

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:02 PM

What happened?

Brex.png

#47 Lannister

Lannister

• Members
  • 990 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 12:20 AM

I'm honestly not entirely sure what happened, but after the introduction of a single hogg file at 4.4GB; running the game client for several hours straight caused my user account on this computer to become completely corrupt, twice.

With the current version of the client though, 'bins.hogg' has been split into three smaller files, as has 'textures.hogg' - so it would seem I wasn't the only person experiencing issues as the result of extremely large files running at the clients core.

Now it's just a matter of seeing that when I try to turn this computer on tomorrow morning, if the same thing has happened again or if the changes Cryptic have made fixed whatever was going on there.

#48 Alex H

Alex H

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 11:07 AM

It might have been a RAM issue, loading 4.7Gb into 2Gb (where 1Gb is used by the OS already) isn't going to happen right lol.

Anyway I haven't had any major issues yet and the game is great so far :)

Brex.png

#49 Lannister

Lannister

• Members
  • 990 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 01:59 PM

I doubt it was a RAM issue, already having 4GB of it aside, that would've caused visible problems when running the client. Instead, it ran as smoothly as it had done before.

Either way, the computer seems to be fine today, so here's to hoping it doesn't turn itself into scrambled eggs tomorrow, after a STO marathon today. >.>

#50 sharpkiller

sharpkiller

Queen Fanatic

• Members
  • 491 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 02:10 PM

Power leveling to get my Tier 2 ship back. :P

Sharpkiller.png

#51 The Tenth Doctor

The Tenth Doctor

Admiral of the Fleet

• Members
  • 597 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:23 PM

I've made one grade away from Lt. Commander in less than 24 hours, and I'm not far from the next... Admiral by next week much?

I am loving it, though. Got the lifetime, and although I don't plan to use the Liberated Borg feature right now, I am really pleased with everything. :)

Media critic, writer, filmmaker, gamer, Trekker, and Time Lord. Site manager (still!) of Elite Force Files.com & creator of fan-film series Star Trek: UnitySatire is to me what winning elections isn't to Gordon Brown.

Personal opinions are not endorsed by Filefront, Gateway Productions or Unity Starbase.

#52 khamseen

khamseen

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 06:23 PM

I went for the lifetime subscription too, it's easier and works out better. Though I've no intention of using the liberated Borg just now either as when I was walking around starbase yesterday it looked like the Federation had liberated the entire Borg collective with the number of them... I like my custom made alien hehe.

Almost got my Nova class back now :)

Posted Image

#53 The Tenth Doctor

The Tenth Doctor

Admiral of the Fleet

• Members
  • 597 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:44 PM

The lifetimers probably just wanted to try out the Liberated Borg option. I did give it a go in the character design area, but that was it. Kinda makes the 7 of 9 uniqueness a little... dead, but still, a fun option. Works with the Klingons too.

Out of interest, how the hell can you afford to get new ships? Do you seriously just have to earn enough money? Cos that is gonna take me about a year at a few hundred a day: some of these new ships cost like 500,000. Or am I missing something? :P

Today has been dreadful on the STO server. First with it going down again for the second time in two days, and then Cryptic have introduced a wait-in-line policy for when the server is full. Not happy.

#54 GSIO01

GSIO01

UberGames Developer

• UberGames Developer
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 03:16 PM

I might be wrong but I have the impression that you always get one ship for every tier for one symbolic energy credit, additional ones than cost a real fortune.

#55 Darknight

Darknight

• Members
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:34 PM

yup....additional ones are around 20K
Posted Image
Posted Image

#56 Lannister

Lannister

• Members
  • 990 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:47 PM

It's not that much of a stretch though, if you consider that as you progress, you'll start to find and receive higher quality gear. The higher the quality, the better the sell price. If some of the MKII ship items sell at 2,500EC a pop - imagine how much you'll be able to generate at higher levels.

I have my eyes set on the Runabout available from Deep Space Nine. I have a feeling that's going to be my first major energy credit bomb.

#57 khamseen

khamseen

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:12 PM

Got my Nova class back today so I'm pretty happy, but I don't think I'll be content until I get past the next tier and into my Intrepid class.

I have my eyes set on the Runabout available from Deep Space Nine. I have a feeling that's going to be my first major energy credit bomb.

Ditto!

Posted Image

#58 sharpkiller

sharpkiller

Queen Fanatic

• Members
  • 491 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:54 PM

Today has been dreadful on the STO server. First with it going down again for the second time in two days, and then Cryptic have introduced a wait-in-line policy for when the server is full. Not happy.

It's gone down a lot more than 2 times in 2 days. It was/is quite painful. :P

Sharpkiller.png

#59 Alex H

Alex H

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 03:34 PM

Apparently it's disappointing... especialy since as of yet there is no cockpit map

Brex.png

#60 Darknight

Darknight

• Members
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:19 PM

Runabout? for what purpose?
Posted Image
Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users