Routers and Proprietary Modems

2 replies to this topic

#1 Bushman

Bushman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:12 PM

A while back, I tried to use a Linksys wireless repeater with a proprietary AT&T 2-WIRE, which is an integrated modem/wireless router. For some reason, there was some weird incompatibility between the two (I think it was something to do with IP addresses) and they didn't work, or wouldn't without a complicated procedure.

Which brings me to today: I'm about to get a wireless router for another place which gets internet from a local cable company and has a non-wireless modem. I know to stay away from Linksys, but is there a particular company that makes wireless routers that work with proprietary modems?
Posted Image

#2 btedford

btedford

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 03:26 PM

Linksys should work with proprietary modems, I haven't heard any issues til now, if there was a problem with IPs, you can change the Linksys router's IP address and the addresses that it hands out.

#3 Scooter

Scooter

The Canon Man

• UberGames Admin
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 02:59 PM

Linksys stuff has been pretty awesome ever since they got bought by Cisco. I'm using a Linksys router with the Motorola Surfboard modem provided by my cable company with no problems.

I have a little bit of experience with the 2-Wire brand modems. My local telephone company has been deploying them for the past two years (approx). I don't have any experience with repeaters, but I suspect either the repeater was trying to use the same IP as the modem/router or it was in a different range. Linksys stuff always uses 192.168.1.x range; I can't remember what 2-Wire uses.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users