7 replies to this topic

#1 john_

john_

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 09:32 PM

Hey all :)
I am making a little EF mod and am having some troubles with it.
TiM suggested I post here to see if anyone could help, so here I am :P
Anyway, the problem part of my little project is the custom console.
Basically I have changed the gfx.shader file, to prevent the main console image from being tiled and also to change the direction/speed it moves.
I have also added a separate blank image, as I think the EF code would normally display the default stars jpg twice, one on top of the other (this did not work with my custom image.)
Now this works fine on my PC, when I watch a demo or whatever.
But on an online server, I have problems.
The server has the PK3 file I have used and the custom console is appearing.
However, I suffer missing textures from the GUI and from things like awards etc.
In addition, other clients without my PK3 suffer an error along the lines of
"could not load default model/munro" (or something similar) and are kicked from server.
So I am hoping to fix this.
I am unsure if I am asking EF to do something it can't do (deal with clients with differing shaders), if my shader file is "wrong" somehow, or wherever I could achieve this console through other methods.
Some examples of the missing textures can be found @ http://illyria.adsl24.co.uk/EFBUG.pdf and a pk3 of my new console (the images/shader) can be found @ http://illyria.adsl2...zzz_console.pk3

Thanks for any help!:love:

#2 GSIO01

GSIO01

UberGames Developer

• UberGames Developer
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 06:13 AM

First thing I noticed is that the first stage in the shader is incompatoble for use with an jpg:

{
        map gfx/interface/stars.tga
        blendFunc GL_SRC_ALPHA GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA
        alphaGen vertex
        tcMod scale 1 1
        tcMod scroll -0.2 0
    }

GL_SRC_ALPHA GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA requires an tga image with alpha channel.

As you image is complete black you could simply remove this stage completely as it's a waste of resources.

I'm not sure this is the reason for your problems. Are the changes to the console shader the only changes you made to the gfx.shader?

#3 john_

john_

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 12:15 PM

Hi, thanks for reply.
Yes thats the only change.
However, stars.jpg is not all black, it contains the ship image I want. stars2.tga is the black image.
The reason I made it a jpg, was because the original stars image was a jpg. The "GL_SRC_ALPHA GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA" is also present in the original shader, so I am not certain that is to blame.
Its all very strange :)

#4 GSIO01

GSIO01

UberGames Developer

• UberGames Developer
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 11:39 PM

I am unsure if I am asking EF to do something it can't do (deal with clients with differing shaders), if my shader file is "wrong" somehow, or wherever I could achieve this console through other methods.
Some examples of the missing textures can be found @ http://illyria.adsl24.co.uk/EFBUG.pdf and a pk3 of my new console (the images/shader) can be found @ http://illyria.adsl2...zzz_console.pk3

Thanks for any help!:love:

Just wanted to add that EF can handle clients with diffrent shaders.

With sv_pure 1 one of the following cases would take place:
  • Server has mod pk3. => Any client that does not have the pk3 needs to download it.
  • The server does not have the pk3. => If a client has the mod pk3 it will be ingnored and not loaded.

With sv_pure 0 any pk3s that aren't on the server will still be loaded and used on client side.

I also would suggest to try delting any content of the pk3 one by one and look if there still are errors just to make sure there really isn't any buggy file.

#5 john_

john_

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 12:33 AM

Hi,
Could the problem be that downloads are off - so clients cant download it?
I guessed it might be the shader file, so removed it (and the relevant images) and made a new pk3.
Having put that on the server (and deleted old pk3), the errors remained - so I believe this is the problem.

#6 GSIO01

GSIO01

UberGames Developer

• UberGames Developer
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:05 PM

It might be but the only way to find out is just try it ;)

#7 john_

john_

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 03:27 PM

Ok so removing the console files had no effect.
Does the game engine just not support the idea of custom re-skinning of textures, via pk3's? :(

#8 GSIO01

GSIO01

UberGames Developer

• UberGames Developer
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 04:02 PM

It does as long as sv_pure is 0 and the pk3 holding the replacement starts with an char that comes after the one that holds the original files. The console and other menu parts might be a special case though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users