CO'ing an RP

3 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan Murray

Ryan Murray

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 03:30 AM

I think having the CO run the RP is generally a bad idea, and a boring way to run an RP. I think it can be boring for the person running the RP, and the people involved. If the CO runs the RP, than in command situations, they are simply reacting to situations that they created. That seems boring to me.

I think it can be extremely exciting for someone other than the CO to act as GM and run the RP. That way the CO is reacting to the plot. I think it makes it more exciting for everyone else to, because the CO is going to be more into it. I think it will create a more engaging experience for everyone involved.

I would recommend the GM play a low ranking character, or better yet they are freed up to play any character the plot requires. They will have the time to carefully moniter the RP. It will be much easier to stop plotjacking. THey will notice major plot jacks right away, and a skillful GM can just bump minor ones back on course. They can be where they are needed and focus on creating situations for all the other players to react to.

For a lot of people the position of GM may sound like a boring job, with all the responsibility and none of the fun. And for a lot of people that may be true. But if you are like me and you like telling stories, it is the best position to have. It allows you to carefully construct and manipulate the plot in a way that keeps everything on track, and everyone emerged in the experience.

I am sure other people have RPed this way before, but I know the majority of people use the CO as GM structure. I write this post in hopes that people will think outside the box, and maybe try RPing this way. I think it could provide an oppurtunity for more immersive, and engaging RPs, and perhaps breath some life into the act of RPing.

Again, please tell me what you think.
Posted Image

#2 Alex H

Alex H

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:55 AM

Same as on the other topic, I agree completely, and already I have put in some episodes where different people become the lead of the RP, for example in Season 2, I've planned an episode where the lowest ranking member on the ship imaginable takes the lead role to protect the ship (I'm not going to give too much of the plot away though :))

So yeah again I completely agree, great minds think alike :P

Brex.png

There is no such thing as the perfect person, only those who love perfectly.

#3 sharpkiller

sharpkiller

Queen Fanatic

• Members
  • 491 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 01:06 PM

I think having the CO run the RP is generally a bad idea, and a boring way to run an RP. I think it can be boring for the person running the RP, and the people involved. If the CO runs the RP, than in command situations, they are simply reacting to situations that they created. That seems boring to me.

I think it can be extremely exciting for someone other than the CO to act as GM and run the RP. That way the CO is reacting to the plot. I think it makes it more exciting for everyone else to, because the CO is going to be more into it. I think it will create a more engaging experience for everyone involved.

I would recommend the GM play a low ranking character, or better yet they are freed up to play any character the plot requires. They will have the time to carefully moniter the RP. It will be much easier to stop plotjacking. THey will notice major plot jacks right away, and a skillful GM can just bump minor ones back on course. They can be where they are needed and focus on creating situations for all the other players to react to.

For a lot of people the position of GM may sound like a boring job, with all the responsibility and none of the fun. And for a lot of people that may be true. But if you are like me and you like telling stories, it is the best position to have. It allows you to carefully construct and manipulate the plot in a way that keeps everything on track, and everyone emerged in the experience.

I am sure other people have RPed this way before, but I know the majority of people use the CO as GM structure. I write this post in hopes that people will think outside the box, and maybe try RPing this way. I think it could provide an oppurtunity for more immersive, and engaging RPs, and perhaps breath some life into the act of RPing.

Again, please tell me what you think.

Personally, I like to CO roleplays like this already. I like to get the RP going, and then let it carry on from there based on how everyone develops the RP, with no real plan in mind and going with the flow. It is definitely harder to plot jack, and can only really be done if someone takes the RP is some completely other direction for no particular reason.

Sharpkiller.png

#4 Smyth Wesson

Smyth Wesson

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:28 PM

I've done this a few times in the past. I agree that it is easier to regulate the plot when you're not the CO. People hardly pay attention to say... Helm or CMO - so from those positions, its easy to Gm without also having to deal with the whole crew at once.

To supplement this idea - the CO's OOC job is basically to keep all the players interested and participating in the GM's plot (giving them jobs, etc.).
Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users