An idea: Department RPs

6 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan Murray

Ryan Murray

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 03:16 AM

Instead of following the tradition of the standard crew makeup, with people playing the CO, XO, CoS etc.. Why not do some department RPs? A department RP would be one where the RP takes place within a specific department such as science, medical, engineering etc. Everyone would play a character from the same department.

I think these could be really fun. Because many casual RP's end up being made up of smaller groups of people, it would allow you to fill a larger part of the department, and have a rank structure within it. It would take some imagination when interacting with the rest of the ship, but roleplaying is all about imagination.

This style of RPing would allow you to create a rank structure within the department, and allow people to specialize more. For example I doubt most Engineers know everything about every part of the ship, but RPs, and often the TV show require that they do. In a Department RP you could have a character who specializes in warp physics, and another who fixes secondary systems, maybe even go so far as to say he specializes in fixing replicators. Yet both characters could fit within a larger engineering rank structure. There are loads of oppurtunities for new characters, and new aspects of the Star Trek Universe to explore.

I think this idea could provide oppurtunities to explore the Star Trek universe from different perspectives, as well as to create unique roleplaying experiences that work differently than the tradition RP structure.

If you wanted to be really ambitious, you could have a big story, and tell all the little parts as seperate RPs. For example the first part could be seen from the engineering perspective, where it shows how Engineering faces all the problems of the RP. The next one could have the same story, but show it from Medical's point of view. Does that make sense?

Tell me what you think.
Posted Image

#2 Alex H

Alex H

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:51 AM

I agree completely with this and have in fact already out episodes like this is my new SRP, not quite to this degree of everyone being in engineering for one episode, but so that there are more people doing a mix of jobs.

I think people should start doing more of this :)

Brex.png

There is no such thing as the perfect person, only those who love perfectly.

#3 Grizz

Grizz

• RPG-X Tester
  • 984 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 12:36 PM

Been There. Done That. Loved It.

#4 The Tenth Doctor

The Tenth Doctor

Admiral of the Fleet

• Members
  • 597 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:03 PM

It is Indeed a good idea.

Luke Sutton, AKA 'The Doctor'

Media critic, writer, filmmaker, gamer, Trekker, and Time Lord. Site manager (still!) of Elite Force Files.com & creator of fan-film series Star Trek: UnitySatire is to me what winning elections isn't to Gordon Brown.

For links and info on my projects & investigations, view my blog:

http://lukesutton.blogspot.com/

Personal opinions are not endorsed by Filefront, Gateway Productions or Unity Starbase.

#5 Scooter

Scooter

The Canon Man

• UberGames Admin
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 05:43 AM

Yes, it's a good idea; a good idea that I came up with many years ago. Not trying to be a jerk, but I'm getting the impression that people think this is a whole new concept.

#6 Smyth Wesson

Smyth Wesson

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:51 PM

These things are cyclical.

People thought Star Trek was a whole new concept, but it was really just based on the science fiction novels of the 30s and 40s with a dash of Forbidden Planet and Wagon Train.
Posted Image

#7 The Tenth Doctor

The Tenth Doctor

Admiral of the Fleet

• Members
  • 597 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 12:15 PM

Yes, it's a good idea; a good idea that I came up with many years ago. Not trying to be a jerk, but I'm getting the impression that people think this is a whole new concept.

We all think its new because few of us heard your idea for this back then.

But yes, its a good idea. :)

Luke Sutton, AKA 'The Doctor'

Media critic, writer, filmmaker, gamer, Trekker, and Time Lord. Site manager (still!) of Elite Force Files.com & creator of fan-film series Star Trek: UnitySatire is to me what winning elections isn't to Gordon Brown.

For links and info on my projects & investigations, view my blog:

http://lukesutton.blogspot.com/

Personal opinions are not endorsed by Filefront, Gateway Productions or Unity Starbase.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users