• You cannot reply to this topic

4 replies to this topic

#1 Scooter

Scooter

The Canon Man

• UberGames Admin
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 02:35 PM

I just got an e-mail from Microsoft letting me know that the 2008 versions of the Visual Studio Express applications are now available.

http://www.microsoft.com/express/

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to upgrade. I'm not particularly interested in doing XAML stuff because it's mainly for Vista. I think there is a build of WPF for XP, but it's not distributed via MS Update so most people don't have it. I also have a sneaky suspicion that 2008 apps will require .NET 3.0 or 3.5 instead of 2.0 like 2005 does. Express 2005 is sufficient for my current needs.

#2 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 02:52 PM

Cool. I think we're going to probably be migrating to that stuff where I work pretty soon. ^_^

Hmm... but I'm always skeptical of newer version of Visual Studio....

I found out you can't compile the Q3 engine source on VS 2005 or higher....
Because of that, I'm wondering if upgrading for the purpose of games dev is a good idea or not.

-TiM

#3 William

William

Lead Level Developer - RPG-X

• UberGames Developer
  • 728 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:29 PM

I've had VS2008 Pro for a while now, I too got that email today, but with regards to WPF and XP, WPF is included with .NET Framework 3.0 and 3.5 both of which are recommended (or critical) Microsoft Automatic Updates.

#4 Scooter

Scooter

The Canon Man

• UberGames Admin
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:53 PM

I think 3.0 is recommended. I don't recall ever seeing 3.5 on MS Update, but I installed it manually and have it integrated into my WinXP disc for future PC builds. Things may have changed since then. I'm a little ticked off that they aren't being bundled with SP3 (according to what I've read; I'll be installing SP3 on a virtual machine later today to find out for sure).

So Will, do you feel that the upgrade from 2005 to 2008 was a big improvement?

#5 William

William

Lead Level Developer - RPG-X

• UberGames Developer
  • 728 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 04:57 PM

It's definitely an improvement for working with WPF and XAML

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users