#1 Alex H

Alex H

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:40 PM

In a nut shell!
New Features? NO
Enhanced old stuff? NO
15% Extra idle RAM usage (on 2GB machine)? YES!

By now I'm wondering what the point of Windows Vista SP2 is, cos I was under the impression that it was basically going to plug all the little RAM leaks, rather than make a huge hole where 307.2 MB of my RAM will fall through.

Now I'm left wondering if Windows 7 will be the same?

Brex.png

There is no such thing as the perfect person, only those who love perfectly.

#2 The Tenth Doctor

The Tenth Doctor

Admiral of the Fleet

• Members
  • 597 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:46 PM

Windows 7 will be "Vista that actually works". I recently got a Vista laptop. Drove me mad for the first few weeks and I still can't bare to do anything other than games and writing on it, but it does look nice.

I don't want to turn this into a Vista-bashing thread but in my op.......... oh who am I kidding, yes I do. :P

Luke Sutton, AKA 'The Doctor'

Media critic, writer, filmmaker, gamer, Trekker, and Time Lord. Site manager (still!) of Elite Force Files.com & creator of fan-film series Star Trek: UnitySatire is to me what winning elections isn't to Gordon Brown.

For links and info on my projects & investigations, view my blog:

http://lukesutton.blogspot.com/

Personal opinions are not endorsed by Filefront, Gateway Productions or Unity Starbase.

#3 GSIO01

GSIO01

UberGames Developer

• UberGames Developer
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:37 PM

15% Extra idle RAM usage (on 2GB machine)? YES!

Umm ok good to know that. Not going to update Vista on my MacBook then ...

#4 Apprentice

Apprentice

Mighty pirate!

• Members
  • 558 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 11:10 PM

If I had my way, I would be still using Windows 2000 on all my rigs but unfortunatdely, I can't (and don't have the time) so I chose to get stuck with Windows XP. Vista and Windows 7 are defintly a no-show for me for some years to come . . .

#5 Scooter

Scooter

The Canon Man

• UberGames Admin
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 03:20 AM

I'm running Windows 7 RC on my laptop and so far it's great. Much faster than Vista. Only downside is what's available in the way of antivirus, but that will change.

Still running WinXP on my main machine. Not sure if I'll switch to Windows 7 when it goes final, but at least it's still a consideration as opposed to Vista which was never a consideration.

I'm also considering changing my Media Center machine to Windows 7.

#6 Darknight

Darknight

• Members
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 10:24 AM

as far as anitvirus...not many people are writing viruses for a non final OS....if i were you i would change as soon as i is on the market and there are antiviruses for it....that is what i am going to do...but the problem then is to learn my way around it...which i dont think will be hard, after the upgrade...but the problem really is my parents...My parentshave no clue what they are doing with XP, but we had to get them a vista PC, and they still have not a clue what they are doing...so changing right away may not be an option for me...but idk if i want to
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Alex H

Alex H

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 10:35 AM

I have been talking to someone with 7 RC and apparently Kaspersky have already released a Losedows 7 IS full suite, and apparently all the RAM leaks have been plugged, so I'm guessing its going to be better.

That being said... Internet Explorer 7 beta 2 was more stable than Internet Explorer 7, and Internet Explorer 8 beta 3 was more stable than Internet Explorer 8, so I don't know where the RAM and reliability is going between beta and final, as I couldn't see any real difference.

EDIT: Windows Vista SP2 doesn't even attempt to patch up memory leaks, at least not for me, so if you get it, play BC for about an hour until it freezes cos of lack of memory, when it closes down your idle usage will be 1/2 the normal :)

Brex.png

#8 Darknight

Darknight

• Members
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:20 PM

hmmm, i am surprised you are seeing these RAM problems....not 1 of the 3 i have running Vista SP2 have had any problems
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 Alex H

Alex H

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:24 PM

Weird... all I'm having is trouble lol

Also I can't seem to bring up windows live messenger anymore, when I try to redownload it, it just says the page cannot be found :S

EDIT: For people who are having trouble with WLM in VSP2 use this link http://download.live.../?sku=messenger
The download site has changed from http://g.msn.com/ which is why I couldn't get on to it :)

EDIT2: Steam also seems effected by it, not sure if that has an update yet

EDIT3: If you are having trouble with the Steam window opening up, you need to open task manager, end the process tree of Steam then reload the app or it won't work

Brex.png

#10 Ferengi

Ferengi

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:33 AM

Well I use Windows Vista SP2 also Home Basic at my Laptop and Home Premium on my Desktop-PC. I have not one of these Problems you have. Windows Live Messenger is working, Steam is working.
Well my Vista uses 25% of my 4 GB RAM but thats cause I have a lot of programs working at the same time.

So my opinion of SP2:
It makes Windows Vista realy fast.
It now opens my 500gb HDD within milliseconds. (In SP1 I needed 7 seconds to open the Browser for that HDD)
Also I can still play everything I could play with XP.

Best Regards,
Marc.
Posted Image

#11 Darknight

Darknight

• Members
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:23 AM

i wouldnt say is reduces....but it fixes some background errors...i also dont have any of those problems brex
Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 Alex H

Alex H

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:43 AM

Gah things always go wrong for me anyway... I'll struggle on since it seems only to be me its affecting

Brex.png

#13 JDavid

JDavid

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 02:32 AM

As it has been said I will be changing straight to 7 when it becomes full/out with full fixes yatta yatta. Right now my XP install hasnt let me down. Its the squidgy bit behind the keyboard that lets down the computer.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users