• You cannot reply to this topic

14 replies to this topic

#1 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:23 AM

I'm not sure why exactly.... but I just got this overwhelming urge today... The urge to do some 3D modeling. :$

I was thinking, one particular ship on Star Trek that hasn't got many really nice, accurate high-resolution publicly available meshes is the Class 2/Type 9 'Speedboat' shuttlecraft.

So.... I spent a good portion of today doing some Sub-D modeling of said shuttlecraft in LightWave today, using some pictures of it I got off of Ex Astris Scientia. :)

I've got tonnes of other stuff to do still... I probably shouldn't have wasted all that time... but this is something I intend to come back to later.

Either way, I thought I'd stick what I came up with up here so I won't forget about it.

Tell me if you think that looks about right. That back end section with the door is a complete bitch to model. ;_;

Attached Thumbnails

• t9_shuttle_model.jpg

#2 Scooter

Scooter

The Canon Man

• UberGames Admin
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 02:26 PM

It's type 12. Type 9 is a cargo shuttle.

The authors didn't care that Rick Sternbach designated this shuttle as "Type 12" - considering that Type 9a is already taken by the cargo shuttle from the TNGTM (see below). At least in VOY: "Resolutions" the shuttle was explicitly called "Type 9". The maximum speed of Warp 4 also comes from this episode. Later, in the fifth season, the authors forgot their own "Type 9" too, and suddenly came up with the awful "Class 2", now completely ignoring the nomenclature of shuttles established in all official publications. We may still assume that "Class 2" is a collective name for all small shuttle types, considering that B'Elanna seemed to know "Class 2" shuttles from her time at the Academy a couple of years ago, obviously before the Intrepid class and therefore this class-specific shuttle type even existed. On the other hand, the Type-9 shuttle has an especially impractical design compared to the Type 6 and Type 7, for instance, so B'Elanna should remember an even more comfortable "Class 2" shuttle from her Academy days.

#3 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:19 PM

Um.... really?

http://www.ex-astris...edshuttles1.htm
http://memory-alpha....Class_2_shuttle

All the sites I've seen say Type 9 or Class 2.... where does it say that on Ex-Astris-Scientia?

But suffice it to say... which designation is most easily recognizable by the majority of people? :P

Or... maybe Class 2 would be more acceptable... hmm

#4 Lannister

Lannister

• Members
  • 990 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:05 PM

That looks really nice TiM. :D

It's type 12. Type 9 is a cargo shuttle.

It is the Type 9, it is frequently referenced as such in-verse.

I've never liked Ex Astris Scientia, I hate that people use it as the utmost canon Star Trek source. In comparison to what happens in the show, there are a number of things that Ex Astris Scientia has wrong or has missed.

For instance it references the amount of shuttles that Voyager loses during it's time in the Delta Quadrant and the fact that they didn't have the facilities to build more. Yet in one of the earlier episodes, B'Elanna talks about converting a Cargo Bay to construct them.

#5 Scooter

Scooter

The Canon Man

• UberGames Admin
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 11:28 PM

http://www.ex-astris...et_shuttles.htm

While it was being designed by Rick Sternbach, it was labelled as Type 12. Type 9 was a writers' error, as was Class 2. Class 2 is definitely not more acceptable.

which designation is most easily recognizable by the majority of people?

Just because the majority is wrong doesn't make it right. If the majority of students pick C but the answer was D, that doesn't mean that C becomes correct.

#6 Lannister

Lannister

• Members
  • 990 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 11:54 PM

The Star Trek Encyclopedia, compiled by Michael and Denise Okuda, lists the shuttle craft as the Type 9 as well.

Class 2 most likely relates to the interior layout of the vehicle, Type 9 Class 2. This wouldn't exactly be unusual, since shuttles infrequently had slightly different interiors despite being identical externally.

#7 Ryan Murray

Ryan Murray

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 04:49 AM

Just because the majority is wrong doesn't make it right. If the majority of students pick C but the answer was D, that doesn't mean that C becomes correct.

But it does mean that they probably had a pretty crappy teacher.
Posted Image

#8 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:54 PM

Hehe thanks Hocking! ^_^

Agreed. In all parts of the site aside from that section, it refers to the ship as Type 9. But then again, Janet's Site and StarshipDatalink.net both refer to it as Type 12... :skeptical:

Either way.... I guess even though it was intended to be Type 12, due to the writer's fluff, it's been established on-screen as the Type 9....

I'm very confused now. X_X

In any case, I screwed around with it for an hour or so tonight, and I've uploaded some new screenshots onto Foundation3D.com so I can hopefully get some feedback on anything I'm potentially doing wrong.

Gotta do some more work on Cosmos tomorrow haha.

Attached Thumbnails

• t9_modeler.jpg
  • t9_back_right.jpg
  • t9_right.jpg
  • t9_top_right.jpg

#9 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:37 PM

Been working on an animatic clip for Cosmos for most of tonight... and I remembered I have a bit of an update for the mesh here. :)

Hopefully this looks like a ship you recognize now. XD

I think I've messed up the backend tho lol. The spot where the rear hatch is located is supposed to be slanted... I was figuring doing it last would be easier, but now, I haven't a foggy clue how to do it. :$

I also watched the episode Resolutions, the only episode where the words 'Type 9' are uttered. Thing is, since you never actually see the shuttle in the episode... is there any proof this is the shuttle they were referring to? :P

Ah... canon lol

Attached Thumbnails

• t9_nacelles_backend.jpg

#10 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:44 PM

I've done a wee bit more work on the T9 shuttle now. :)

The back section of this mesh has been absolute hell lol. I wasn't exactly sure how to model the section where the door will be. I'm hoping now I've got it close enough.

The next thing I'm working on now are the impulse drive modules. It's kinda hard to figure out their shape.... it looks like one side is really smooth, and the other is really sharp.

Either way, she's progressing along slowly, but surely. :) I'm hoping I can start detailing and texturing it soon.

Attached Thumbnails

• t9_front.png
  • T9_back.png
  • t9_wire.png

#11 Alex H

Alex H

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:13 PM

The Type 9 was based on the Intrepid design to show that the Type 9 was Voyager's shuttle for the series, like the Type 18 is designed on the Defiant, since it was used for DS9. Hope that helps somehow :)

Brex.png

There is no such thing as the perfect person, only those who love perfectly.

#12 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 04:10 PM

Oh yeah I got that far hehehe.

The nacelles are basically carbon copies of Voyager's nacelles.

I'm still up in the air one what to actually call this thing. Type 12 is probably more canon, but Type 9 seems to be expected. :confused:

#13 Scooter

Scooter

The Canon Man

• UberGames Admin
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 12:50 AM

Not "probably" - "is".

#14 Alex H

Alex H

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 09:11 AM

You could call it the Class 2 shuttle :P

Brex.png

There is no such thing as the perfect person, only those who love perfectly.

#15 Lannister

Lannister

• Members
  • 990 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 09:44 PM

Not "probably" - "is".

The Star Trek Encyclopedia, compiled by Michael and Denise Okuda, lists the shuttle craft as the Type 9 as well.

Class 12 most likely relates to the interior layout of the vehicle, Type 9 Class 12. This wouldn't exactly be unusual, since shuttles infrequently had slightly different interiors despite being identical externally.

In quoting myself, I realized I originally left the '1' off '12.'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users