* * * - - 1 votes

Ziff Davis Media pulls the Plug on FileFront?

91 replies to this topic

#1 Lannister

Lannister

• Members
  • 990 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 01:34 AM

I'm suspicious that this is some kind of early April Fools prank, however it seems that ZDM have finally pulled the plug on FileFront after filing for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy last year. Despite having been 'confirmed' by several presently serving members of staff - I am wondering if they are playing along with a rather odd joke.

None the less, if this happens and no one picks up FileFront; EFFiles is going to disappear. If there are any files you wish to salvage from any of the Network Sites - I would recommend doing so sharpish.

The FileFront Forums appear to already have been purged.

http://www.theroguef...ervation-forum/

http://www.theroguef...nking-soon.html
http://www.theroguef...fugee-camp.html

Admin Edit: Help spread the word of this; http://digg.com/gami..._doors_March_30

Update 2: UberGames has a complete backup of all EF1 Files from EFFiles. We also are getting backups of JKFiles, CnC Files, Armada, EAW and KOTOR Files

Update 3: I'm chatting with Jeff (N0e) who was the community manager at FileFront, he might beable to get more space to back up every site... More news soon

#2 sharpkiller

sharpkiller

Queen Fanatic

• Members
  • 491 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 01:39 AM

Source?

It seams very unusual for a community website to pull the plug without some kind of formal "goodbye" announcement.

Sharpkiller.png

#3 USS Enterprise Server

USS Enterprise Server

Hardcore Gamer

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 01:42 AM

Maybe they couldn't afford to. Wow, that would suck. EFfiles has a lot of files, that can't be replaced. I am really shocked that they couldn't keep from going under because they do have paying users. EFfiles doesn't, but File Front does.
Huh, that is weird.

Captain Billy Walker II

Starfleet Dignitary

Fleet Captain

=/\=Captain of the USS Relativity=/\=

Rules of the Captain:

Rule #1: The Captain is always right.
Rule #2: When the Captain is wrong, see rule #1.

Posted Image

#4 Lannister

Lannister

• Members
  • 990 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 01:49 AM

Source?

It seams very unusual for a community website to pull the plug without some kind of formal "goodbye" announcement.

The FileFront Forums were replaced by an Apache installation page several hours ago, after reading a thread that I do not wish to link to; I spoke with one of the Network Administrators.

He confirmed in very few words what people have been panicking about. Despite trusting him completely, a part of me is still suspicious that this is a rather early April Fools joke.

That aside, it's better to be safe than sorry.

I am really shocked that they couldn't keep from going under because they do have paying users. EFfiles doesn't, but File Front does.
Huh, that is weird.

FileFront doesn't have any paying users anymore, FastPass was pulled last year.

#5 USS Enterprise Server

USS Enterprise Server

Hardcore Gamer

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 01:55 AM

I guess that is one of the reasons that they went under then.
Think that they will recover?

Captain Billy Walker II

Starfleet Dignitary

Fleet Captain

=/\=Captain of the USS Relativity=/\=

Rules of the Captain:

Rule #1: The Captain is always right.
Rule #2: When the Captain is wrong, see rule #1.

Posted Image

#6 Lannister

Lannister

• Members
  • 990 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 02:02 AM

I guess that is one of the reasons that they went under then.
Think that they will recover?

The loss of FastPass will not have been what killed FileFront if this happens. ZDM have been in financial trouble for months, the 1Up News Network was absorbed by UGO not all that long ago.

Edit; This is taken from the thread I previously mentioned.

I've spent several hours today trying to find out what happened, the closest I got to an answer is "financial trouble". I'll be the first to agree that it doesn't make sense, and I myself wholeheartedly hope it is, in fact, a bad April fools joke. I have not been able to talk to Jeff (n0e) as of yet, however a conversation with Jakob (Dreadnought) revealed that it Jeff got fired, along with the rest of the Filefront management. Conversations with Nathan (STALKER) and Duane (Hfx-Rebel) revealed that the software used to moderate and submit content to the network sites is locked down. I will be calling Chris (Lord Wiener) tomorrow about this, and I will also be trying to contact Sean (Revenge).

I promise you all that if this is a joke, I am not in on it thusfar. If anyone finds me to be lying, I'll put down the admin position I have here, and the supermod position I had at GF.

Anyway, all the points that Giz made are very valid, and I've asked the same questions. Why is there no notification on the Filefront main site, or on the Ziff Davis website? Why didn't they put up a small html file if nothing else saying "Closed due to lack of funds."? The answer I keep getting is "corporate america". All I can say is that ZD never did seem to take a shine to FileFront, so I wouldn't be completely shocked if this was real. Disappointed, yes. But not shocked.

#7 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:49 AM

*Posted on UberGames Front Page*

When I read this, it sent a chill through my spine. :wtf:
EFFiles is just one of those sites I would have assumed to just always be there. I've been frequenting it, and have worked as a file reviewer on it on and off ever since EF first came out. :(

I really do hope this is a joke. I'm not really sure what would happen to EF as a whole if EFFiles went down. Certainly it's one of the major community hubs. ;_;

I wonder though, I had a chat with RedTechie on this matter. I'm not sure how possible/feasible it is, but if it does go down, we would definitely be willing to preserve as much of the data as we can here on the UberGames server.

I guess in the meantime, just to be on the safe-side, maybe we should draw up a list of 'must-have' files to download off of there?

And yeah, I was pretty sad when Ziff sold off 1UP. A lot of the guys I like to listen to on the 1UP podcasts got canned in the process. :(

#8 Lannister

Lannister

• Members
  • 990 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:00 AM

I wonder though, I had a chat with RedTechie on this matter. I'm not sure how possible/feasible it is, but if it does go down, we would definitely be willing to preserve as much of the data as we can here on the UberGames server.

Posted Image

I guess in the meantime, just to be on the safe-side, maybe we should draw up a list of 'must-have' files to download off of there?

I've downloaded the source map files, character files and such. In addition to the two versions of Radiant, the PC & Mac 1.2 patch, Pakscape and Pk3 Support for Windows XP.

As well as a small plethora of other files including a few Roleplaying maps and Single Player modifications.

#9 Gregory House

Gregory House

AKA: Gregory House

• RPG-X Tester
  • 462 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:30 AM

I've downloaded the entire Federation-->Canon TNG-DS9-VOY section from BCFiles. :)

#10 Scooter

Scooter

The Canon Man

• UberGames Admin
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 05:54 AM

There is way too much awesome stuff on all the FileFront sites to archive it all. :(

#11 Apprentice

Apprentice

Mighty pirate!

• Members
  • 558 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:30 AM

I'm not afraid that EFfiles or any other Filesnetwork site will disappear, as they are at some level still a seporate entity within Filefront so they remain active in one form or another. I'm sure that Pro-Filer and the other bozo's will take care of that.

Secondly, I'm not THAT mournfull of Filefront. For the last six months, I questioned their level of competence since I got 14 files there which apperantly takes no disk space, no bandwith, no Filefront users have downloaded them and apperantly my submitted files no longer exists. It seems that they're not bothered to fix it, so I'm not bothered to continue with them since I already was in the process of removing those files but apperantly it won't be nessacery anymore. Good riddance!

The only thing I was waiting for on the Filefront forums, was that Serenity map that was under development but I'm confident that it will be released elswhere . . .

#12 Dom

Dom

I touch everything

• UberGames Admin
  • 921 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:26 AM

Pro-Filer left some time ago for a new job. He isn't around at all anymore.

I'm trying to work out if there is a way to fully backup EFFiles... Trying at least.

#13 sharpkiller

sharpkiller

Queen Fanatic

• Members
  • 491 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:24 AM

As I was speaking to Hocking last night, he suggested that filesharing may be a solution if EFFiles does die.

Sharpkiller.png

#14 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:40 PM

I'm trying to work out if there is a way to fully backup EFFiles... Trying at least.

Please do. Although if it does indeed get taken down, I see no reason why they would want to horde the data.

As I was speaking to Hocking last night, he suggested that filesharing may be a solution if EFFiles does die.

Apparently the collected file size of all of the files on EFFiles is only like 15GB... I know of bigger Torrent files. :P

Either way yeah.... worse case scenario, I'm sure if we all worked together, we could probably restore most of the content in some form. :)

Either way.... this hasn't actually been confirmed yet though...

#15 Dom

Dom

I touch everything

• UberGames Admin
  • 921 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:53 PM

If there's a way to mass backup stuff from EFFiles, with everything locked out I havent found a way...

Just watching the twitter stream; http://search.twitte...rch?q=filefront

#16 Pille

Pille

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 02:54 PM

EliteForceFiles like all other network sites will get completly deleted on the 30th, no backup will be made. The staff members of various network sites and voluntary helpers are currently downloading as many things as possible to bring them onto a new site by Ronnie called modnetwork.com I think.

Personally I would not mind using my currently un-used vBulletin license to start up a forum covering all the FF Star Trek games and possibly more, seeing the 2 big ST games networks are too busy tearing the flesh off each other, however I would require some support there as I will not be able to do this all on my own. Anyone interested?
Posted Image

#17 Dom

Dom

I touch everything

• UberGames Admin
  • 921 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:07 PM

Pille where did you find out this info? I've looked everywhere and cant find anything (emails, etc etc) and Ronnie isn't answering on MSN (I dont think he's around).

I'm still hoping to get a hold of somebody who still has access to the servers to so we can do a mass dump of the EF files onto this server. Unforgivably we don't have the space to dump every FilesNetwork site, only really EFFiles.

#18 Pille

Pille

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:10 PM

The info is mainly from Ronnie, I talked to him on MSN last night.
Posted Image

#19 Vincent

Vincent

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:12 PM

I would be interested.

I volunteer to help at any forum, website, database etc. that will be made for EF. I'm a frequent visitor of effiles.com, and used many other FF websites too, and it's a dead shame that these sites have to go. If anyone needs any help setting up something new for this community, that is still in some ways quite active (just look at the monthly download numbers, PotDs, comments, etc.). We can't loose this...

-Vincent

#20 Apprentice

Apprentice

Mighty pirate!

• Members
  • 558 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:16 PM

EliteForceFiles like all other network sites will get completly deleted on the 30th, no backup will be made. The staff members of various network sites and voluntary helpers are currently downloading as many things as possible to bring them onto a new site by Ronnie called modnetwork.com I think.

And what about the domain EFfiles.com and subsequently ?? Will they become available again or are they going to be put away on digital shelves, never to be used again ??

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users