- - - - -

Geforce 8600GT 512mb with 305 Watt PSU

7 replies to this topic

#1 Thomas45

Thomas45

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:04 AM

Hey guys, i have a reasonabley good computer for gaming but i am getting sick of seeing no detail in my models or terrian on Company of Heroes and World in Conflict, so i found a Geforce 8600GT 512mb for £58 on the internet.

Now i have a Dell Demision E520, basicly a good computer Execpt from the (for todays standards) a poor Geforce 7300 LE and a very low PSU, only 305 Watts and the min to run my video card i bought was (on one site, 450Watts) 350Watts min to run, now i googled around to see if you could play it with 305 Watts of power and most people said you would, but with this site i bought it from saying min 450 Watts would this by a typo which meant 350 or when i install this card will my computer blow up?

Thanks.

#2 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 12:10 PM

Welcome to the forum. :)

Hmmmmm..... from what I've read, if it's not enough voltage, the video card will simply not turn on, in which case your monitor will just display nothing.

I would suppose that the specifications would allow for a margin of error, but at the same time, I would expect the power draw of the card to vary depending on what you're doing. For example, it might run fine when just on the desktop, but it might die if you try playing a game on it.

This is all theoretical and it's just what I gleaned when I built my current PC hehe. In any case, if there's no power running to it, I highly doubt it will blow up. ^_^

But if you can, I would recommend upgrading your PSU to the standard minimum to ensure the card works as it should.

Hope that helps. :)

-TiM

#3 Thomas45

Thomas45

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 01:16 PM

Thanks for the help Tim, i am glad it wont blow up my motherboard. I will see if it works with my current PSU and if not i will have to upgrade my PSU if it will fit in my Deminsion E520 anyway.

#4 Thomas45

Thomas45

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 01:36 PM

Ok i installed it and its fine execpt from it wont run any games, when i use IE 7 the screen moves down in slow motion, i think i will need a new PSU :)

#5 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 06:48 PM

Ah... thought as much hehe.

Ah well, thankfully PSU's don't have to be upgraded very often.

Make sure you get one of sufficiently high-voltage so you don't have to get another one the next time you upgrade. :)

-TiM

#6 Thomas45

Thomas45

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 08:53 PM

Ok got one, and its works fine :)

My games look amazing now ^_^

#7 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:45 AM

Hehe. Excellent to hear. :)

#8 CreativeCade

CreativeCade

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 09:09 PM

Have you tried the newest ATI HD series of graphic cards?? They would probably run on your 350/450W PSU and they certainly are up there in performance/$ ratio catagory. I find the NVidia line rather too pricy for performance as you can pick up a HD4850 (at www.notebookcity.co.nz) for like $NZ350 (WHICH I know could be a far cry from your 8600GT) as before I was running a 8600GS card and Crysis would still run but alot less smoothly. Use to be an AVID Nvidia supporter.....but getting too rediculous in terms of what people will pay for decent graphic card...

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users