• 3,425 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 02:24 PM

Ho-hum... O_O

I got a mail earlier today... this is what it said:

Date: 11 March 2009

URGENT ACTION AND RESPONSE REQUIRED PLEASE

Re: vBulletin Software use at http://www.ubergames.org/forums/

NOTIFICATION:

I am a Copyright Enforcement Agent for Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Howarth Lodge, 7 Reading Road, Pangbourne, Reading, RG8 7LR, the exclusive owners of vBulletin forum software.

It has become necessary to enforce the standardisation of the copyright footer where no "Branding Free" license exists due to numerous abuses and conversions to languages we are unable to understand or check. Your copyright footer does not comply with the approved format so you will need to either purchase a "Branding Free" License or correct the problem using the following format.

Please see these instructions for how to make the copyright notice in the footer template correct:

http://www.vbulletin...ad.php?t=288491
To restore the copyright notice, first make sure that your footer template contains this:

<!-- Do not remove this copyright notice -->
$vbphrase[powered_by_vbulletin]
<!-- Do not remove this copyright notice -->

Then check the 'powered_by_vbulletin' phrase for any translations. That phrase should read:

Powered by vBulletin® Version {1}<br />Copyright ©2000 - {2}, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

If you do not want to show the version number, you can remove the Version {1}:

Powered by vBulletin® <br />Copyright ©2000 - {2}, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Thanks for your assistance in resolving this matter.

Regards,

Gheorghe Pantea
Investigator
Italian Office

The sender accepts no responsibility for an end users incorrect registration or failure to do so as the Terms and Conditions of Use are clearly explained as an integral part of the purchase procedure.

I emailed them back asking what was wrong as I had taken all efforts to make sure the copyright message was present... and they said that apparently the copyright message in the UberGames skin was too dark and wasn't legible enough.
I'd never noticed and I thought it looked fine... but now I'm wondering if it's because I have a ridiculously bright monitor... or if the copyright guys were using a really dim monitor.

In any case, I promptly complied and increased the lightness of the message by 35%, so all is good now. :)
But... it freaked me out getting such a formal letter like that haha. :$

Either way I just thought I should get this out there and let everybody here know.
There is indeed a company out there, whose sole relation to vBulletin is to go around to every single vBulletin forum on the web, and make a visual/technical inspection of it, deeming whether the forum complies with the vBulletin EULA or not.

So if you're using a dodgy copy of vBulletin, watch out! :P

#2 Ryan Murray

Ryan Murray

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:04 PM

*Meep Meep*

Thats actually kind of hilarious. Investigator is a bad ass job title for someone who as part of their job has to check the brightness of text on forums. If that was my job, I would totally lie to everyone I know about what I do. Seriously, this person is an Investigator from the Italian Office. How awesome is that?

"Whats your job?"

"Investigator"

"What do you do?"

"I check the legality of message ... I mean I... its top secret."
Posted Image

#3 sharpkiller

sharpkiller

Queen Fanatic

• Members
  • 491 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:35 PM

I couldn't help but laugh when I read "Investigator". O_O

Sharpkiller.png

#4 RedTechie

RedTechie

UberGames Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 276 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:40 PM

Haha you think that was formal TiM?

As a web hosting company we are expected to comply with the DMCA. If we want to claim safe harbor.

We once got a letter from a HSBC bank lawyer stating we have infringing content on one of the websites we hosted. It turns out one of our previous clients had a lame ftp password and some one from china uploaded a phishing site that looked JUST like the HSBC bank site to his web hosting account!

This was a long time ago but non the less scared the crap out of us. We now have one of many systems in place to automatically block brute force and other attacks on our customers accounts.
RedTechie
UberGames Administrator

Need Affordable Game Servers or Web Hosting?

Ennoverse Ltd.
http://www.ennoverse.com
http://www.ennoverse.co.uk
Affordable Game Servers, Web Hosting, Domains, and SSL.

We also offer Elite Force and Elite Force 2 hosting!

#5 Cris Carter

Cris Carter

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 04:27 PM

I wonder what they say if they find this: http://forums.startrekonline.com/

STO is obviously using vBulletin, but there isnt any copyright notice of it :lol:

#6 RedTechie

RedTechie

UberGames Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 276 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 04:30 PM

I wonder what they say if they find this: http://forums.startrekonline.com/

STO is obviously using vBulletin, but there isnt any copyright notice of it :lol:

They probably purchased the "Branding Free" option. A lot of companies do. But non-profit organizations usually don't due to the price. (Let alone the price of the board software its self :S)
RedTechie
UberGames Administrator

Ennoverse Ltd.

#7 Cris Carter

Cris Carter

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 04:36 PM

Well if they require this copyright notice to stay intact, I recommend to put it back :)

#8 JDavid

JDavid

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 12:57 AM

I would hate to be the guy who has to scroll through thousands of pages looking at skins to check if their copyright notice is still intact.

#9 Cris Carter

Cris Carter

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:22 AM

Nah it doesent suck if you get paid for it :P

#10 JDavid

JDavid

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:01 PM

True but I doubt I would have it as a job for long as I would end up getting bored after a few minutes lol

#11 Apprentice

Apprentice

Mighty pirate!

• Members
  • 558 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:53 PM

I emailed them back asking what was wrong as I had taken all efforts to make sure the copyright message was present... and they said that apparently the copyright message in the UberGames skin was too dark and wasn't legible enough.
I'd never noticed and I thought it looked fine... but now I'm wondering if it's because I have a ridiculously bright monitor... or if the copyright guys were using a really dim monitor.

In any case, I promptly complied and increased the lightness of the message by 35%, so all is good now. :)
But... it freaked me out getting such a formal letter like that haha. :$

Either way I just thought I should get this out there and let everybody here know.
There is indeed a company out there, whose sole relation to vBulletin is to go around to every single vBulletin forum on the web, and make a visual/technical inspection of it, deeming whether the forum complies with the vBulletin EULA or not.

So if you're using a dodgy copy of vBulletin, watch out! :P

Dumb! You should've asked for a screenshot . . .

#12 Lannister

Lannister

• Members
  • 990 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:41 PM

Dumb! You should've asked for a screenshot . . .

That wouldn't help at all, the screenshot wouldn't capture the brightness of the "Investigator's" monitor.

#13 Apprentice

Apprentice

Mighty pirate!

• Members
  • 558 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:49 PM

That wouldn't help at all, the screenshot wouldn't capture the brightness of the "Investigator's" monitor.

That would've been his problem, not Tim's . . .

#14 Lannister

Lannister

• Members
  • 990 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:28 PM

Yeah... ? :X

#15 RedTechie

RedTechie

UberGames Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 276 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:02 AM

True but I doubt I would have it as a job for long as I would end up getting bored after a few minutes lol

Being bored at a job is something I would kill for right now! :P

I get so busy I'm exhausted at the end of the day.
RedTechie
UberGames Administrator

Ennoverse Ltd.

#16 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 02:37 PM

Haha holy crap Red, that's illegal there. That explains why you're so paranoid about passwords now. XD

Yeah... maybe if he'd taken a photo of the monitor itself. But a screenshot wouldn't do anything. Either way, since they're the enforcers, what they say goes.

In any case, I'll put a little update on what happened here.
After I wrote this, I posted an update about it on Twitter where one of the actual team members from vBulletin picked it up and tweeted back to me about it.

He said he just wanted to emphasize that the nature of the letter was to just indicate how importantly they view the matter and that they just wanted to ensure people would take it seriously. He then thanked me for writing this thread, (so yes, he actually came here! :P) and for spreading the word about this issue a little bit more.

I'm pretty honoured that an actual member from the vBulletin team took the time to write me about this, and I have an all new respect for the guys who make this software work now. :)

In any case, all is good, and the matter is now fully closed. :)

#17 Alex L.

Alex L.

Bug Hunter

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:02 PM

Excellent.

Anyway, just a word for the guys... not everyone has a high-end job during these economic times. Most people should be happy they have jobs at all. So, if you are getting paid a wage to look at webpages scanning wether or not the brightness of the copyright-notice is 'legal' enough, we shouldn't be condecending about it.

If that is what you must do to feed your children... Think about it before you look down on someone's job, lol.

;)

#18 Matthew Bluefox

Matthew Bluefox

Running out of time!

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:05 PM

I just wonder if that e-mail was even a legal one ... usually if something like this serious happens, they must write a letter by post or make at least a phone call (if they are who they claim to be, they've got the billing address and everything).

For example, my internet provider never sends me an e-mail if they've got a major announcement to make about my abonnement or if they make modifications of the account etc. ... that always happens via an official letter by post, and I mean 'always'.

Anyway, the problem seems to be solved. :)

#19 Lannister

Lannister

• Members
  • 990 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:09 PM

For example, my internet provider never sends me an e-mail if they've got a major announcement to make about my abonnement or if they make modifications of the account etc. ... that always happens via an official letter by post, and I mean 'always'.

Internet Service Providers and Online Services are two different things though. In my experience, online services only ever use postal systems if they have a material object that cannot be sent electronically.

#20 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:24 PM

Hahaha personally, I prefer mindless work that requires no thinking. It makes it easier to focus on listening to music/podcasts as you do it. ^_^

Either way, given how crazy popular vB is, and how many forums there are in the world, I'm sure these guys probably doing pretty well.

Yeah.... no I think email was the only way they would have gotten in touch with me. A phone call from Europe to Australia would have cost a buttload. >:D

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users