BBCode Image Resizer

6 replies to this topic

#1 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:49 AM

I've been thinking of adding this to the RPG-X forum as well, but here is a good test. >:)

There are often some cases when people directly deliver rather large images into a thread through the [img] tag. This is kinda bad since if it's a big or a wide enough picture, it can throw off displaying the page for people with smaller monitors. The forum's been optimized for 1024x768, so we gotta try and maintain this as much as possible.

So, just to keep things arranged neatly, I added a plugin called 'nCode Image Resizer' which if an image is larger than 800x600, it will be resized down, and then given a clickable option to restore it upon command.

I'm not sure how well it works in different browsers and the like, so let me know if you see anything screwy looking.

Thanks!

-TiM

#2 William

William

Lead Level Developer - RPG-X

• UberGames Developer
  • 728 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:22 PM

Yeah, sounds like a good idea, IPB Forums come with something similar by default, showing thumbnails rather than the full sized image.

#3 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:29 PM

Cool. >:)

It's not actually literally resizing the image, it's just making the canvas smaller.
So if it's a jumbo picture, it will still take a while to load... :P

Haha yeah well.... vBulletin can do that with attachments.... :)
Hmm.... but.. does IPB do it even with external images...?

-TiM

#4 Lannister

Lannister

• Members
  • 990 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 06:29 AM

I'm not sure if it's built in or just a really popular plugin - but you can, on most vB boards, use;

[spoiler]content here[/spoiler]

To hide an image, a rather long post or as it's designed a spoiler of some kind.

Example

It's a useful one imo, since it makes reducing the size of a post or what ever, rather easy. :)

#5 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 06:48 AM

Ahh, I see.

Haha that looks cool. I'll see how hard it is to integrate it here...

#6 Lannister

Lannister

• Members
  • 990 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 07:03 AM

Working already? :)

Spoiler

#7 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 07:29 AM

Spoiler

w00t. Seems to be working. I also quickly photoshopped an icon for it in the editor bar. :)

Hmm... I might working on styling it a bit more as well...

I guess this could be a good alternative to the image resize as well.

I wonder if it's much better than the spoilers bbcode that require you to select with your cursor to see... the fact it takes up a whole line of space is kinda annoying...

-TiM

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users