- - - - -

The Dreaded Macintosh

28 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you think of the Mac computer line? (17 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of the Mac computer line?

1. I HATE IT OMB IT SHOULD BE KILLED!!!11 (2 votes [11.76%])

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

2. Eh, I don't mind 'em but I wouldn't use one myself. (3 votes [17.65%])

Percentage of vote: 17.65%

3. I like them a bit; they are kinda cool. (3 votes [17.65%])

Percentage of vote: 17.65%

4. I really love them! All hail Steve Jobs! (5 votes [29.41%])

Percentage of vote: 29.41%

5. I don't care either way. (4 votes [23.53%])

Percentage of vote: 23.53%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Veritas

Veritas

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:03 PM

I'd like to know where everyone stands on this.

I myself am a dedicated Mac user; my Macbook Pro has Windows, OS X, and Ubuntu Linux and runs Windows better then much Windows hardware.

So, do you like Mac? Do you hate it? Do you not give a flying crap? Tell us!

#2 khamseen

khamseen

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:25 PM

I'm a dedicated PC man myself. Been using a PC since I was like 6 playing DOS games on my dads PC so it I kind of just grew up using them and by comparison a Mac always seems too unlike a "proper" computer.

#3 Alex H

Alex H

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:30 PM

Yeah, the tower, screen, keyboard set up seems right, even though the Macs out of the box set up seems easier... strange like that :)

Brex.png

There is no such thing as the perfect person, only those who love perfectly.

#4 khamseen

khamseen

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:32 PM

even though the Macs out of the box set up seems easier... strange like that :)

Never bought a PC so it wouldn't bother me lol. Much more fun to build them yourself :P

#5 Alex H

Alex H

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:34 PM

Yeah lol, I remember my first PC :P
1995 Gaming PC! It had a whole 16MB of RAM!!!

Brex.png

#6 khamseen

khamseen

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:37 PM

Nice one, first PC I used only had 2MB RAM and ran DOS and DOS games, first PC that was actually mine had 4MB RAM and ran Windows 3.1. When I compare it to what I run now, I feel old lol.

#7 Alex H

Alex H

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:43 PM

Lol... my first one we bought from my uncle... it was massive, took a trailer to bring it down from the Scottish border :D
By the time we sold it on to get the crappy XP one it'd been upgraded, 4x USB 1.1 ports, Windows ME, 20GB hard drive and a Pentium 3 processor :)

Brex.png

#8 khamseen

khamseen

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:47 PM

Hehe, I remember when I got 40MB HDD for my first PC and I thought "how could I ever need more space than this?" now I run with 1.5TB and still have space issues lol.

#9 Alex H

Alex H

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:28 PM

I get by with 250GB lol... but I have a reserve 500GB on an external hard drive if I need it, so far, all I have on it is Far Cry 2, Alone in the Dark and some TV I recorded from my laptop :P

Brex.png

#10 Lannister

Lannister

• Members
  • 990 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:13 PM

Hehe, this topic is ironic. I was ambushed by the local Mac (VS PC) fan boy less then twenty minutes ago.

Although as to the topic itself, I'm really not bothered either way. I'm a PC user, but I'm not of the opinion that Apple are the Corporate personification of Satin and any of their products will melt my hands like acid.

#11 Alex H

Alex H

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:14 PM

I think Macs are more for looks... I wouldn't mind having one round, or taking it out to a nice dinner, but I'd be thinking about Bill XD

Brex.png

#12 Veritas

Veritas

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:03 PM

Yes, Macs look much better then Windows. Yes, they're shiney. I like that about them. They're quite stylish :P

However, what I like more about Macs is that not only are they all-in-one - you don't need to worry that the parts from your computer are from 50 different companies with their own tech support - but they also have excellent customer service, and OS X is frankly a much better operating system under the hood then Windows.

Additionally, I've found Mac to be much more flexible then many people think it is, and there is one other simple fact: despite having three operating systems and numerous changes to the base boot software and system software, my Mac still works perfectly 98% of the time. Very few mainstream Windows systems can say that about their machines.

Also, RE Macs not being 'proper': They are just as much a computer as anything else. I can't stand it when people say that Apple systems aren't 'real' computers. What definition of computer are those people using?

#13 Kai

Kai

im a pee-cee

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:33 PM

i-Mac = FTW
Macs have always been far safer to use than PC's and their design is immence, however the compatibility of programmes can be a pain!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 khamseen

khamseen

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:05 PM

Also, RE Macs not being 'proper': They are just as much a computer as anything else. I can't stand it when people say that Apple systems aren't 'real' computers. What definition of computer are those people using?

Since that was directed at my comment I thought I should explain what I meant by "proper". I am not saying that your Mac is not a real computer, what I'm saying is that because I have used PC's now for 20 years and it's all I've grown up with (excluding in Primary School), when someone says "computer" I automatically think of a PC since that's what I associate with computer not a Mac. It wasn't meant as a derogatory comment towards you and as such I would appreciate not being lumped in as "people" :P

Also for the record I selected "Eh, I don't mind 'em but I wouldn't use one myself." on the poll.

#15 Gregory House

Gregory House

AKA: Gregory House

• RPG-X Tester
  • 462 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:13 PM

I, as a Mac owner (with Windows XP Pro. SP3 on it!), would have to say that I like Macs, however, in a sense, comparing Apple and Microsoft is like comparing Apples and Oranges (no pun intended).

Mainly because Microsoft does not make the computers that Windows runs on, but Apple does make the hardware that Mac OS runs on.

I like both operating systems equally. Mac is for my work because there are less distractions (excluding the Internet!) on Mac OS (less games, etc.) that would distract me in my classes when I'm taking notes in class.

Windows is for fun (games, etc.) and other stuff I can't do on Mac OS X. ;)

#16 Darknight

Darknight

• Members
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:36 PM

ok this is a hard question to answer....i am around so many different OS mostly i dont liek the lack of features in Linux, Mac is pretty, and good for artsy stuff, and Windows is good for productivity work
Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 Scooter

Scooter

The Canon Man

• UberGames Admin
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 12:44 AM

Historically Apple made their own hardware, but most of it is made by ASUS these days. The big advantage is the all-in-one tech support. Since I build my own computers, Apple is not really an option for me on the desktop, but I would have no qualms with buying an Apple laptop (which are all made by ASUS, the best laptop manufacturer in the world).

On the software side, the reason behind OSX's awesomeness is that it's based on FreeBSD. Microsoft seems to be taking crappy directions with their operating system development. I've heard that Windows 7 is a big improvement over Vista, but I haven't heard any comparisons between XP and 7. Most of the software that I run runs on Windows. There are some very good Mac equivalents, but I haven't checked extensively into each and every program that I run.

Mac vs. PC has become less of an issue since Mac moved over to the Intel camp.

#18 Robertson

Robertson

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 12:56 AM

I have a Desktop PC running Windows SP3 and my trusty 2.4GHZ Dual Core Macbook, I much prefer my macbook to be frank, it looks better, feels better and is generally more organized, if Macs had the same software/prices for software that Windows has, i would of converted over fully long ago.
Posted Image
The above signature is a testament to the days when roleplaying was actually alive.

#19 Veritas

Veritas

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 12:59 AM

Thanks for clarifying on the PC point; I fully understand what you mean. I think PC has become synonymous with Windows, and while that is incorrect, it is terminology now. (and I was speaking generally... people! XD)

Bootcamp and Linux (not to mention CrossOver Games, an excellent program) let me run my windows apps. My computer looks good, runs fast, and does everything I need it to with minimal difficulty (except for an annoying sound issue in Ubuntu which I am still working on; damn PulseAudio). What more could I want?

On the topic of Windows 7 (though that deserves another thread), I have been using it, am using it now, and can say that it is an improvement IMO over both Vista AND XP. It is fast, stylish, less annoying security wise (though the UAC still exists) and it runs flawlessly on my system. Windows 7 has begun the long journey towards a restored faith in Microsoft for me.

#20 Alex H

Alex H

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:26 AM

I think this page sums up this topic
http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/
Soooo funny :P

Brex.png

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users