LOL

love it

#6 Lannister

Lannister

• Members
  • 990 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:55 PM

FireFly is made of win and awesome.

I'm a Joss Whedon addict though, absolutely anything that he has created is fantastic. I have the FireFly Series, Serenity Movie, all of Buffy and all of Angel on DvD.

#7 Ryan Murray

Ryan Murray

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:56 AM

Firefly is my all time favorite television show. Like Hocking I love all things made by Joss Whedon. I love Firefly, Serenity, Buffy, Angel, Dr. Horrible, Fray and all his other comic book series.

I actually just rewatched Dr. Horrible yesterday. You really need to watch it Hocking. I mean its a musical by Joss Whedon, starring Neil Patrick Harris, Nathan Fillion and Felicia Day (*drools*) its practically made of awesome.
Posted Image

#8 Lannister

Lannister

• Members
  • 990 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 01:22 AM

I actually just rewatched Dr. Horrible yesterday. You really need to watch it Hocking. I mean its a musical by Joss Whedon, starring Neil Patrick Harris, Nathan Fillion and Felicia Day (*drools*) its practically made of awesome.

I can't, you can only watch it if you're in the United States. :o

#9 Smyth Wesson

Smyth Wesson

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:08 AM

FIREFLY SUXX! u GUYZ ARE DUMB. LULZLULZLULZLULZ

*Goes off to watch Firefly when nobody's looking*

I love this show.
Posted Image

#10 Grizz

Grizz

• RPG-X Tester
  • 984 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:11 AM

=O *sees him* Aha..

( off-music but still nice.. meh)

#11 LynxMukka

LynxMukka

Mr Mukka

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 04:58 PM

I tried watching it, but I just got bored. Its some sort of weird sci-fi western that doesn't really appeal to me.

I like Stargate, particularly atlantis ;) but Firefly was just..boring and not my sort of sci-fi, if you get what I mean.

Posted Image

#12 Smyth Wesson

Smyth Wesson

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:44 PM

Scifi plus western is always awesome. This is an incontrovertible fact.
Posted Image

#13 Grizz

Grizz

• RPG-X Tester
  • 984 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 07:01 PM

After Firefly I love that combination - I never really experienced it before that..

#14 Marcin

Marcin

UberGames Developer

• UberGames Developer
  • 688 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:40 PM

Yeah all other scifi shows are like 'oh I can't do that, moral blablabla'.

#15 Grizz

Grizz

• RPG-X Tester
  • 984 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:47 PM

Firefly just did the opposite of everything IMO.

"Im not threatening you...I'm unarmed.."
"Good." <shoots>

In many other cases you'd get a nice negotiation, here you just get shot or punched - repeatedly

#16 Lannister

Lannister

• Members
  • 990 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:45 PM

Firefly just did the opposite of everything IMO.

"Im not threatening you...I'm unarmed.."
"Good." <shoots>

In many other cases you'd get a nice negotiation, here you just get shot or punched - repeatedly

What I like about Firefly, and Joss' other shows; is he isn't afraid to do things differently.

In the majority of Science Fiction shows, the cast can be mortally wounded, but they cannot die. Nor can their vessel be destroyed or irreparably damaged. As a result, many science fiction shows carry with them a 'god complex' where in every event can only have a victorious outcome.

In Star Trek for example; the Borg were initially a mortal threat to the Federation. The problem with introducing an unbeatable foe however, is that in order to stop them, you have to change their nature and essentially nerf them to death.

In contrast to this, anyone and anything in the Whedonverse can be killed or destroyed. As such, no event has a predictable outcome because there are no restrictions placed on who can win in order to keep the show running.

This also means that Whedonverse characters are more believable because they exhibit realistic personality traits. There are no cliché stand-offs or conversations, because the characters are written like real people; not heroes and martyrs.

#17 Ryan Murray

Ryan Murray

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:23 PM

Star Trek was originally pitched as a western in space :o. The Original Series uses tons of conventions taken from the western. Firefly is just explicit about it.

I love Whedon's shows because they like to play with genres. They take the expectations we aquire through all the other movies, and TV shows we watch, and then turn them upside down. We consume so much media that when these moments in Firefly, or other Whedon shows present themselves, we already have expectations about what is going to happen, and the writers know it, so by doing the opposite they mess with our expectations, for humourous or dramatic effect. I love it!

I find that through doing this, Whedon's shows have begun to form almost their own genre, where because I know its a Whedon show, I expect that it will break the conventions I am so familiar with. For example, there is no happy ending for any romantic relationship in anything he makes. (Though this one actually really annoys me at times. Moment of silence for all the romances that have ended tragically in the Whedonverse.)

Edit: Shit I have to take that back, I just thought of one. But that is more of an exception to the rule.
Posted Image

#18 khamseen

khamseen

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:26 AM

I'm a huge Firefly fan and like both Hocking and Ryan I'm also a major fan of all Joss Whedon creations. Plus I actually love pretty much anything science fiction related, I am a true sci-fi junky.

Posted Image

#19 Ryan Murray

Ryan Murray

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 05:41 AM

Just a note for all the Firefly fans in North America. Dollhouse, Joss Whedon's new show starts next Friday at 9:00 PM on Fox. Conveniently right before the Sarah Connor Chronicles, or if you are like me, you can switch channels to Space/Sci Fi for Battlestar Galactica.

My favorite Dollhouse trailer:
http://io9.com/39149...ercent-more-ass

Just thinking about Dollhouse gives me a nerdrection.
Posted Image

#20 Lannister

Lannister

• Members
  • 990 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 06:27 AM

I hate you.

So far, none of the channels airing in the UK have bought the rights to air Dollhouse. From what I've read so far, it's to do with the instability in the American media networks at the moment the fallout from the writers strike last year. >:-(

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users