5 replies to this topic

#1 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 03:41 AM

Allow me to get the ball rolling in here. :(

nVidia appear to be warming up for the release of the next generation of high-end video cards.

The latest being called the nVidia GeForce 9800 GX2.

http://www.nvidia.co...ce_9800gx2.html

Tom's Hardware have already released a thorough set of benchmarks on this thing.

http://www.tomshardw...800_gx2_review/

Although it looks impressive, judging from what's being said over there, it looks like it's simply 2 8800 GPU chips on 2 separate PCBs stuck together in one box and set up in a pseudo-SLI configuration, and you're getting the kind of performance you'd expect with that kind of setup.

Anyway, I was personally hanging out for one of these cards simply for the ironic ability of being able to say 'I upgraded my PC from an ATi 9800 to an nVidia 9800'. :)

But from the looks of the performance, price and noise of this beastie, I'll stick with my 8800GT for a while longer... :)

-TiM

#2 William

William

Lead Level Developer - RPG-X

• UberGames Developer
  • 728 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 01:48 PM

Wow, looks amazing, but I guess driver support leaves a lot to be desired regarding performance as you say, I too will stick with my GeForce 8800GT

I'm not to sure about where they're shunting all that heat, in most cases that'd be towards the CPU or HDD, or even worse, could conflict with the cpu heatsink if the direction of air conflicts. Mmm Toasty

#3 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 02:00 AM

Agreed.
I don't know how they did it, but I'm dumb-founded how they actually managed to get a single slot GPU solution that works almost as well as the top dual slotted model. 8800GT FTW. :P

It's probably not work upgrading the 8800GT, maybe just later on SLI'ing 2 8800GTs together....

But yeah, from the looks of the design, there's a giant heatsink running down the middle between the 2 PCBs, that is taking the heat from both GPUs.

Hopefully it's shunting the majority of the heat out the back, otherwise this will defintely make your PC's insides crispy. :)

-TiM

#4 Dom

Dom

I touch everything

• UberGames Admin
  • 921 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:00 PM

I've just changed the topic title slightly...

I just ordered a 9600GT today; 700Mhz rather than the standard 650Mhz clock they have. The XFX 9600GT 512Mb XXX >:)

http://www.fudzilla....=6305&Itemid=40

Going to cost me £105 (Inc VAT) when the supplier gets them back in stock.

I cant afford a 9800GX2, that and it's not too much of a perforance boost. I'd rather spent £100 today, and another £100 next year instead of £200 now and still have to buy something later next year.

I dont know if any of you have thought about the ATI HD3870 that's a pretty sweet card, it's low high-end or high mid-range; depending on how you look at it. It's roughly the same price as a 9600GT, has more pipelines; however it's slower.

If you comapre the two, the HD3870 is better when your not AA'ing, and the 9600GT is better for AA'ing. However there's like a 5% difference in them tops among current games (including crysis on high detail!), so it's more a personal choice.

Having made mine, I cant wait to get it and install it :P

#5 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 02:34 AM

Hmm... what's the 9600GT like compared to the 8800GT?

#6 Dom

Dom

I touch everything

• UberGames Admin
  • 921 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 03:48 PM

Errm, depends on exactly which 8800 you have for overall performance.

The 9600GT has been designed as a midrange card, where as the 8800GT is a highrange card. The 8800 has far more pipelines, however the performance per pipe is lower.

Overall the 8800 is slightly better, but its also more expensive (Slightly) - however the 9600GT has full openGL 2 support and DirectX 10.1 (Which the 8800 doesnt)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users