- - - - -

Torchwood

68 replies to this topic

#1 Lannister

Lannister

• Members
  • 990 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 06:24 PM

I don't know about anyone else but I consider Torchwood to be the BBC's equivalent of The X Files.

I'm one of those people that isn't easily addicted to Television shows, probably because most TV things made in this country are absolutely rubbish - however there are some notable exceptions and imo Torchwood is one of them.

Having been dubbed "The Adult Doctor Who spin-off," I personally find Torchwood to be a rather interesting program that takes a slightly more mature approach on the Doctor Who style plot lines.

Anybody else watch or heard of it? What do you think of it if you do or have?

#2 Dom

Dom

I touch everything

• UberGames Admin
  • 921 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 06:33 PM

I watch it every week without fail, I personally think it is one of the better Scifi shows the UK has developed in recent years. Primeval follows close behind it though.

#3 Merrick

Merrick

Merciless Map Criticism ltd

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 06:35 PM

Meh, I just cant really get in touch with BBC sci fi, you never get this epic feeling from it that they have thought of every detail, you just get stuff thrown at it when they need it.

Star trek for example, has its self made sets of rules that it tries to stick to, with the history and the science behind them, governing what they can and cant do (or shouldn't do atleast).

Dr.Who and the like however, seem to follow the guidelines that 'the writers need a new super alien from planet random name generator, so lets just throw that in'.

I love the little things, the little details that make you feel like it actually exists, things like firefly do this top notch, but british sci fi seems to take the opinion that its the core story that matters and the little things can be skipped over.
Posted Image

#4 Lannister

Lannister

• Members
  • 990 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 07:38 PM

british sci fi seems to take the opinion that its the core story that matters and the little things can be skipped over.

I personally think they do an overall good job of sticking to the core details, but there are some things that seem to change every so often.

For example at the beginning of TW Season 2 we saw a character walk back into "The Rift," however in the most recent episode another character (Tosh) states that up until this recent episode they had thought things cannot enter the rift only leave it... ;)

#5 Dom

Dom

I touch everything

• UberGames Admin
  • 921 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:00 PM

Writers always forget things like this, but also remember a lot of the time the scripts are written in one order, but often the episodes end up in another order. But at the same time you cannot complain when writters get slightly mudded up.

#6 Lannister

Lannister

• Members
  • 990 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 07:09 PM

Very true, I don't criticize BBC Sci-Fi for inconsistency very much - since they're not major players in the Sci-Fi side of things and can't really be expected to compete with Star Trek, Stargate or Star Wars.

Although with any of them I tend to do a bit more thinking about it, considering the sheer size of those franchises.

#7 William

William

Lead Level Developer - RPG-X

• UberGames Developer
  • 728 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:51 PM

I never really got into Torchwood, I always thought it was too much of a spin-off of Dr Who which I do enjoy. Is it any good?

#8 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 03:45 AM

Yeah, it's good. :(

I was really skeptical when I first heard of it. I thought it was probably going to be Doctor Who all over again, but with different characters, but that's not the case.

It's definitely no where near similar to Doctor Who and could easily get away with being in a separate universe hehe. It's also a lot darker than Doctor Who often with a lot of swearing, tonnes of blood, and quite often, stories that don't end happily.

That being said though, I enjoy watching it. :)

I haven't been keeping up to date with it, but I'm guessing Series 2 has pretty much finished by now... Doctor Who should be starting up again soon. :)

-TiM

#9 William

William

Lead Level Developer - RPG-X

• UberGames Developer
  • 728 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 01:49 PM

That sounds better than I expected, I'll be sure to check it out if its on.

#10 Lannister

Lannister

• Members
  • 990 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:28 PM

That sounds better than I expected, I'll be sure to check it out if its on.

Season 2 is coming to a close, but Fridays BBC 2 9pm. :)

#11 Dom

Dom

I touch everything

• UberGames Admin
  • 921 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:15 PM

Talking of Torchwood, I sat in front of the TV at 9 tonight waiting to see it... Still waiting. Apparently somebody decided we had an extra week to wait before seeing the season finale. That's just damn annouying

#12 LynxMukka

LynxMukka

Mr Mukka

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 11:11 PM

Thanks for the reminder :)

#13 Lannister

Lannister

• Members
  • 990 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 05:00 AM

Talking of Torchwood, I sat in front of the TV at 9 tonight waiting to see it... Still waiting. Apparently somebody decided we had an extra week to wait before seeing the season finale. That's just damn annouying

Season 2 is coming to a close, but Fridays BBC 2 9pm. :)

It's on Friday, they moved it to a new time slot last week. If your not aware of that you probably also missed the episode that was shown on Friday th 21st..

#14 Dom

Dom

I touch everything

• UberGames Admin
  • 921 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 06:15 PM

Why did they move it??? But thanks for the info.

#15 Lannister

Lannister

• Members
  • 990 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:10 PM

Welcome.

I'm not sure though, at first I thought it had something to do with it competing with Desperate Housewives on Channel 4, but then that's at 10pm not 9pm...so I'm clueless. :)

#16 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 03:54 PM

Don't open this until you've watched the final episode of series 2!

Spoiler

#17 Gallade

Gallade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:33 PM

Well then....

Spoiler

Posted Image

#18 Lannister

Lannister

• Members
  • 990 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:44 PM

Spoiler

#19 Gallade

Gallade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:50 PM

Hocking. Watch "Doctor Who: Journey's End". Mickey stays in "our" universe.
Posted Image

#20 Apprentice

Apprentice

Mighty pirate!

• Members
  • 558 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:55 PM

Frak! For a moment I thought series 3 had started . . .

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users