7 replies to this topic

#1 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 03:36 PM

It's an oldie, but it's a goodie. O_O

I made this picture pretty much straight after I made the model.

The whole point with the UberGames joystick is it's a rough adaption of the Atari 2600's controller. The point being that since it's so old, it means we're not forgetting the old along with the new. :)

The model was built in LightWave with the ring pattern painted in Photoshop. The whole thing was then set up and rendered in LightWave (the wood being a default texture that came with LightWave :) ) and then touched up in Photoshop.

Next time, I gotta find a more decent resolution wood texture...

-TiM

Attached Thumbnails

• Atari_Style_Joystick_by_71m.jpg

#2 Lannister

Lannister

• Members
  • 990 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 06:02 PM

Must say I'm jealous of your ability to have made that. :P

Out of all the "iconic" logos around I think the UberGames joystick is my favourite, all the mainstream developers go all out on these simple logos that in all honesty are just something slapped on a box that you don't give second thought to.

Where as the Joystick says something, I'm not quite sure what but it definitely sticks in your mind. ;)

#3 Dom

Dom

I touch everything

• UberGames Admin
  • 921 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 06:14 PM

I really liked the orignal intro to RPG-X, however we dropped it for version 2 ;)

#4 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 03:27 AM

Must say I'm jealous of your ability to have made that. B)

Out of all the "iconic" logos around I think the UberGames joystick is my favourite, all the mainstream developers go all out on these simple logos that in all honesty are just something slapped on a box that you don't give second thought to.

Where as the Joystick says something, I'm not quite sure what but it definitely sticks in your mind. ;)

Hahaha trust me, it didn't require epic modeling skills to make. :P
The base is a rounded-edge box and every thing else are just beveled cylinders.
The hardest thing on it was to set up its surface parameters so the faces that aren't pointing directly at the camera are more reflective than the ones that are (which gives the illusion of a plastic-y type surface).

Haha yeah, not sure what to make of this logo. I think the concept of the joystick was entirely Dom's idea...
I'm a little scared Atari might think it's too similar to their actual joystick design and try and sue our butts, so I'm being a little wary of it too. :P

Yeah, I like the concept of logos having meaning. Only a few companies in the game industry actually do that.... :P
Even still, I'd say that for the most part, the logos on the boxes probably do count for something.
I'm always very wary of games that have the EA logo on them... :P

I really liked the orignal intro to RPG-X, however we dropped it for version 2 :(

Haha yeah... sorry about that.
The original idea was to make a much more pimped out animated version of that intro logo... but we ran out of time...

But not only that, it turns out that if u tried to play that RoQ logo file in ioQuake3, the quality and sound was all messed up. Conversely, if you re-made the file for ioQuake3, it would crash the native EF exe... :

If we can make a compromise, I'm still up for making one. :P

-TiM

#5 Lannister

Lannister

• Members
  • 990 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 07:05 PM

I'm always very wary of games that have the EA logo on them... :P

EA are too fickle, their logo changes every few seasons or more recently for every game. :-/

C&C 3 and Crysis being examples, basic EA circle but it's styled to suit the game theme rather than the company's identity.

To me, their logo says; "Hi, we're EA and we're boring and are incapable of imagination. As such our logo is a nice sleek circle with our name on it - which we then style by stealing from our respective developers own creativity."

;)

#6 Dom

Dom

I touch everything

• UberGames Admin
  • 921 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:19 PM

I quite like EA's logo, it's nice and simple.

Look at the Nvidia logo on unreal games, that's a cool logo (stroke intro movie). I really enjoy a company who dont mind their logo being blown up by the characters of the game.

#7 William

William

Lead Level Developer - RPG-X

• UberGames Developer
  • 728 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:47 PM

I preferred Nvidia's circle logo myself, the new rectangle looks more boring to me. UT2K4's Intro was awesome, gotta love blowing up logo's

#8 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:53 AM

Yeah.... I was also referring to how EA are mean to their employees and are trying to buy out every developer in the world... :(

Haha, yeah, I thought the nVidia intro logo in UT2K4 was an awesome touch. :)

-TiM

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users