Food for thought

47 replies to this topic

#1 Scooter

Scooter

The Canon Man

• UberGames Admin
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 05:17 PM

This isn't a session review, but this seemed like the most appropriate place to post this. It's some food for thought for you "we like combat" people out there.

Yesterday I watched "The Voyage Home" and the special features. In one of the featurettes, Leonard Nimoy said something important. The best stories were the ones that didn't involve any hostilities.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

#2 Odyssey

Odyssey

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 05:35 PM

Yesterday I watched "The Voyage Home" and the special features. In one of the featurettes, Leonard Nimoy said something important. The best stories were the ones that didn't involve any hostilities.

OBJECTION.

"Sacrifice of Angels"
"Year of Hell"
and
"Azati Prime"

beg to differ with you.
Posted Image

#3 LynxMukka

LynxMukka

Mr Mukka

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 06:16 PM

Well, i object to Odyssey's view.

'Cause & Effect' from TNG which was voted most popular of the series with 'Disaster' not far behind, both involving no hostilities.

Posted Image

#4 Grizz

Grizz

• RPG-X Tester
  • 984 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 06:27 PM

Character Building Rps!

#5 KathrynShaufer

KathrynShaufer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:55 PM

Most of the "combat" role-plays are usually done by impatient people who want to move around, alot. You know the ones, they can't sit still to save their life in real life, let alone in a game life. By the time yo manage to type "Hello, how are you?" they have jumped 16 times and ran five circles around your avatar becuse they were bored.

Look for the older role-players, the ones who existed back in the days of AOL and Yahoo when online roleplayers didn't have fancy graphics, spiffy light shows and burn marks that appeared on walls. Those are the ones who can sit for hours without once fireing a shot.
Posted Image
"At this rate it's going to be a war. A war between those of us who know what 'incognito' means, and those of us who think that 'sparkly' is a valid eye color." - Unknown Role-player

#6 Odyssey

Odyssey

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:24 PM

Well, i object to Odyssey's view.

'Cause & Effect' from TNG which was voted most popular of the series with 'Disaster' not far behind, both involving no hostilities.

I'm not disagreeing with that. I'm just saying that combat-involved episodes can be good, too.
Posted Image

#7 Lee

Lee

Safety not guaranteed.

• Members
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:00 PM

Dark Frontier plz
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944592307816406286208998628034825342117067982
14808651328230664709384460955058223172535940812848111745028410270193852110555964462294895493038196442881
09756659334461fnord28475648233786783165271201909145648566923460348610454326648213393607260249141273724587
006606315588174881520920962829254091715364367892590360011330530548820466521384146951941511609

#8 Smyth Wesson

Smyth Wesson

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 05:29 AM

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent"
Isaac Asimov agrees with Mr. Nimoy.
Posted Image

#9 Elder Things

Elder Things

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:26 PM

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent"
Isaac Asimov agrees with Mr. Nimoy.

Natural selection however, doesn't. :P

#10 KathrynShaufer

KathrynShaufer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 07:35 AM

Natural selection however, doesn't. :P

Violence however, is not part of Natural Selection. Evolution beats violence by creating species capable of defending against the form of violence most previlant. Cocroaches can survive in a radioactive environment. Man made violence defeated by natures evolution.
Posted Image
"At this rate it's going to be a war. A war between those of us who know what 'incognito' means, and those of us who think that 'sparkly' is a valid eye color." - Unknown Role-player

#11 Scooter

Scooter

The Canon Man

• UberGames Admin
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 07:38 AM

Evolution is only a theory. I have my own beliefs on who/what created the species, and I don't go around ramming it down anybody's throat, so I would appreciate if others would keep their beliefs to themselves likewise.

#12 Elder Things

Elder Things

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 08:41 AM

Now now, my comment was in jest, and I had, and have, no intention of spawning a theological debate :P

However, I would like to point out that Evolution and Natural selection are being looked at bit off here. The theory of Evolution by Natural selection is indeed just that, a theory. You can choose to accept it or not based on its merits. It is not a belief, and it certainly isn't being jammed down anyone's throat (at least not by me). Natural selection by itself however, is not a theory, it is a proven fact.

#13 Scooter

Scooter

The Canon Man

• UberGames Admin
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 05:24 AM

I wasn't picking on anybody in particular. Just a friendly reminder to all. Many people seem to forget the difference between theory and proven fact.

#14 Cris Carter

Cris Carter

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 01:56 PM

[rant]Most people didnt understand, that the Federation is a peaceful unity. Combat like firing torpedos and phasers, is only done when really necessary. I ve stopped rping that much because most plots I was into at last were almost the same every RP.

Same start up "We start after refitting with brandnew torp... bla bla..., same old romulan/cardassian/whateverhostile-story

"Oh Captain, I am just picking up a distress call. A freighter is under attack of a (place hostile here) vessel"

Were are the good old plots...
Doing a research mission or probably negotiations with some other species. Diplomatic stuff. Or probably just a day aboard a starship?
So I agree with scooter

Meh I miss the old times.[/rant]

#15 Arron Dominion

Arron Dominion

• Members
  • 499 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 07:52 PM

Alright, I have to say, neither side is wrong or correct. It is all about balance, in nature and everything else.

Character development is very interesting and I am usually brought into those types of rps. Although, a major conflict now and then is very useful.

I think those doing futuristic-ish rps need to have more original ideas. Case and point, I thought up the Spidarians, a race of bi-pedal and six armed human size spiders that live in a galaxy outside of the Trek galaxy. The galaxy has big webs between each part of space which allow the race to go from planet to planet. No other dominant, speaking races exist in that area. Their goal is to conquer the universe. Me and Xenex have rped, until it was dead, that they were invading the Trek galaxy. Old races had to choose sides or be conquered, which they would inevitably be annexed.

At times, we broke off from the main story for a dinner between Xenex and my female character, Julia Dominion. Their relationship became more and more involved. But, my point is, this is a prime example of newer ideas with older plot styles. I believe that is what is needed to keep a player base in EF.
Posted Image

#16 Jake

Jake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:09 PM

Eh, I'm with Scooter and some of the others. I get sick of running into "gravitational Anomolies" that turn into cloaked massive ships.

Or flying head long into rediculously outmatched scenarios. Going either way.

I'm not a staunch fan of fire fights and frag fests on the RPG maps because they weren't designed for it.

You can't RP and frag at the same time. So don't even say you need some action in your rp besides "Oh noes! you shot sisko!"

In my opinion Role Play on the RPGX format is a true test of who really is good at story telling and who isn't. The folks who want to run in shoot the place up and leave to the next shiny thing only serve to confirm my belief in that.

For the past week I've tried to rp a normal, casual day in flight. Nothing crazy or break neck happening. Just a day on the boat.

But sure enough there's always someone wanting to get their gun off.

And on what I ask? Most RPG maps don't support bots, so what are you possibly going to blast? If your willing to use your imagination that your actually shooting something then pretend for a minute...that it isn't there to shoot.

And yes, the trite ship to ship battle. Old.

People need to stop focusing on what they can blast and think about something else.

When I start the Torino there won't be any combat for at least a few Episodes easy. Why? because Star Trek wasn't about what Picards kill count was. It was about Exploring strange new worlds and civilizations. Uncovering new life. That old bit. Not how many klingons or Romulans or whatever you can whack.

#17 Scooter

Scooter

The Canon Man

• UberGames Admin
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 01:07 AM

There were quite a few times during TNG where it was going to take two weeks to go somewhere. The plot skipped ahead pretty quickly because all that stuff during the two weeks was ordinary duties plus any special preparation for dealing with whatever was at their destination.

There's a lot of work involved in just maintaining the ship's systems without the ship even moving through space. On top of that, engineers are always striving to improve efficiency by a percentage point or more, so that when they do get in a sticky situation, they've got some headroom to get out of it.

Science and medical officers always have plenty of ongoing projects when they're not involved with the primary mission. Security officers practice daily on the firing range, and must be available around the ship to deal with minor incidents. All this daily stuff is mostly ignored by the average roleplayer because it seems "boring". Think about your own life; indeed, brushing your teeth was probably not the highlight of your day, but you do it twice a day every day (or at least you should).

#18 Jake

Jake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:17 AM

Exaclty, I couldn't even make it through a morning meeting about needing to requisition more supplies before someone is already whinning about being bored and pulling a gun out in the meeting.

I hope people wouldn't seriously behave that way in real life x.x

#19 Smyth Wesson

Smyth Wesson

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:25 AM

With the sparse nature others are on in my timezone or available, RPs happen less and less, and when they do, I am often... disappointed.

There's nothing worse than having a cool plot disrupted by a trigger-happy gorilla. Seriously, with all the random encounters that have happened while I was in the middle of a plot, you'd think Star Trek was Final Fantasy or something.
Posted Image

#20 Arron Dominion

Arron Dominion

• Members
  • 499 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 07:23 PM

Ok, me and Biessman were exactly talking about bad plots the other day. Here me and him were attempting to have a CSO go crazy (similar to those in Sheogorath's realm, the Shivering Isles) and we have someone coming in making an assassin or saboteur, maybe a little bit of both, to come and destroy us.

We switch plots to a cargo run to Cardassia....then he made 6 Reman Warbirds appear. He left when I said, that the ship was not getting damaged, but we were seeing it become damaged. The CMO was the one to find out that it was a psychological anomoly and fixed it. Then we delivered the cargo.
Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users