• You cannot reply to this topic

1666 replies to this topic

#1541 Harry Young

Harry Young

Ubergames Lead Lua Coder

• UberGames Developer
  • 291 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:16 AM

I'm going to make one final comment on Apprentice as the 2 of you kind of cross what I'm about to write.

Apprentice, you still have to learn that what to you might sound like a joke to others can be an insult. You overdid it in a short timeframe and TiM's was just the last nail in the coffin.

Janeway, look, I won't skim the thread here, but whenever you say "We're working on it" it kinda implies that you are actively and high-pasted working on it (that's human psychology). Now I'm by no means telling you to rush things, but you have to as well consider how the opposite might intreprete your writing - especially if your project is recieving public attention (and yes, it still is, RPO is stil using V2 as a main map and waits for V3 to be equipped with a sickbay^^) - cause after all written language by nature is soundless. The sound comes when soeone interpretes that. So if you say you're working on it you might also tell us that you aren't high pasted.
Then again even with only spare time to use for this project there has to be some public progress in almost 2.6 years (Your last public compile was on april 8th 2009).

Anyway I'm going to (once again?) offer my help in this project. I may not be much of a brushworker but I do know how to pull off a little magic in RPG-X and I'd be willing to donate some of my spar time which is much given that I have 4 days off a week including weekends.

Anything OT from here on in will be removed.

#1542 Guest_Apprentice_*

Guest_Apprentice_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:05 AM

Removed this and started a new topic here http://forums.uberga...2649#entry42649

I have no obligation to report every little change in the map. Whether the project, when released, recieves alot of attention or little, it doesn't bother me. I set out to make an RP map based on the Virtual Voyager section of the game and that's what we've done. As I also said in my previous post, we appreciate the attention it's recieved but like all projects, it's release date will depend on the state of the map itself and not the expectations of those who wish to play it.

Your answers of the last few days says a lot about you and not to me but also to your future employers. The internet isn't as anonymus as it was ten years ago (with the whole social media song & dance) and those same answers are telling more then any job interview will. Based on these answers, I wouldn't hire you if you ever decided to sollicitate for a job opening in my company and will defintly choose someone else who will fit the opening better (at least, on paper) . . .

#1543 Captain Janeway

Captain Janeway

Captain, USS Voyager

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:22 PM

I'm going to make one final comment on Apprentice as the 2 of you kind of cross what I'm about to write.

Apprentice, you still have to learn that what to you might sound like a joke to others can be an insult. You overdid it in a short timeframe and TiM's was just the last nail in the coffin.

Janeway, look, I won't skim the thread here, but whenever you say "We're working on it" it kinda implies that you are actively and high-pasted working on it (that's human psychology). Now I'm by no means telling you to rush things, but you have to as well consider how the opposite might intreprete your writing - especially if your project is recieving public attention (and yes, it still is, RPO is stil using V2 as a main map and waits for V3 to be equipped with a sickbay^^) - cause after all written language by nature is soundless. The sound comes when soeone interpretes that. So if you say you're working on it you might also tell us that you aren't high pasted.
Then again even with only spare time to use for this project there has to be some public progress in almost 2.6 years (Your last public compile was on april 8th 2009).

Anyway I'm going to (once again?) offer my help in this project. I may not be much of a brushworker but I do know how to pull off a little magic in RPG-X and I'd be willing to donate some of my spar time which is much given that I have 4 days off a week including weekends.

Anything OT from here on in will be removed.

The term 'Working on it' states very clearly that the map/project is being worked on. Some weeks I pick up photoshop and work on textures for a full weekend straight, some weeks I work on structural detail for an hour a night and there have been times I've done no work on the map at all. If you want progress reports to be more detailed, I have no problem with that, but as always, it depends on free time I have after running a house and maintaining two jobs.

Like I said before, when I started this project, it was never meant to be anything other than a personal hobby of mine. I have no experience in anything other than what I've achieved on this map, which all in all, is very little. Seven and Jordan brought this project up to a high standard with their skills, but we aren't a professional development group and don't work as one. We are friends who simply wanted to create a decent Voyager map for RPing. I understand the enthusiasm and attention gained by the RPGX community is an honour, but to expect a professional development process from us is a little too optimistic. We're doing this for fun, when we haven't got our every day lives interfering, so please try and consider things from that perspective.

Removed this and started a new topic here http://forums.uberga...2649#entry42649

Your answers of the last few days says a lot about you and not to me but also to your future employers. The internet isn't as anonymus as it was ten years ago (with the whole social media song & dance) and those same answers are telling more then any job interview will. Based on these answers, I wouldn't hire you if you ever decided to sollicitate for a job opening in my company and will defintly choose someone else who will fit the opening better (at least, on paper) . . .

I'm going to respond to this post in my usually calm manner: do pipe down. I'm a 26 year old woman with a list of successful achievements that relied heavily on both my personality and my ability to communicate with others. I have an honours degree, managerial experience, not to mention a healthcare role in a laboratory setting. Without the intention of sounding arrogant or self-important (neither of which I am), I think I have adequate skills and personality traits to conduct myself in a manner appropriate for the setting. This board, not to mention this project, is something I choose to occupy my spare time with, it's NOT a job, it's NOT something I will censor my opinions on and it's NOT your right to come in here and evaluate who I am based on a few posts regarding a game.

I've been a member of these boards for almost six years now, not to mention member of numerous other sites and groups for longer, and in that time have NEVER recieved such a laughable or oddly constructed post in that time. I know little, if anything about you, except from the more recent posts you've 'graced' my topic with and already I see you've had many run-ins with the admin team. My suggestion for you would be to worry and focus on your own personality and conduct rather than mine. I can assure you, I've done quite well for myself over the past decade or so and have no reason to believe it won't continue.

If and when I ask for your opinion on something other than the map, I will do so. Until then, feel free to give constructive criticism when we update the thread next. If you haven't already taken the hint, please don't post anything further until either myself, Seven or Jordan does so with news pertaining to the map.

Posted Image
"There's Coffee in that Nebula!" Captain Kathryn Janeway
"Captain's Perogative is just a fancy term for excuses, Captain's aren't always right!" Callum

#1544 Captain Janeway

Captain Janeway

Captain, USS Voyager

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:55 PM

Been working on some new textures this weekend. Hoping to do some remapping of temporary areas and work on the little bugs that are around the map at the moment.

Posted Image
"Captain's Perogative is just a fancy term for excuses, Captain's aren't always right!" Callum

#1545 Captain Janeway

Captain Janeway

Captain, USS Voyager

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:53 PM

Finished a new texture for the exterior hull and modelled a very crude view for the messhall and captain's quarters windows. Hoping to make it look a little more exciting.

Posted Image

#1546 Harry Young

Harry Young

Ubergames Lead Lua Coder

• UberGames Developer
  • 291 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:06 PM

I don't think anyone here wants imediate updates but say an update every few weeks or so just to show that there is sth done in some time.

#1547 Captain Janeway

Captain Janeway

Captain, USS Voyager

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:18 AM

So, basically, after all the fuss over updates, two within three days is too much? I really do begin to question whether you guys are being serious! I'll update this thread IF and WHEN I wish.

Posted Image

#1548 Harry Young

Harry Young

Ubergames Lead Lua Coder

• UberGames Developer
  • 291 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:15 AM

The seriousness is that we do want to hear that the map is seriously being worked on. That doesn't mean we want an update every time you do sth but rather... say any time you do a decent leap. Other than that... I don't know if Tim can get some Progressbars for the board, those would really be helpful I think. Not only here but in general as well. I'll ping him on them anyway.

#1549 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:07 PM

Haha don't pressure the lady too hard Harry! This isn't a commercial project here. It's a labour of love! ^_^;

I'd say just like all of these other (totally free I might remind) projects we've done here, given other priorities (like full time work :'( ) it's really hard to estimate these things (Just look how long it took me to resurrect the freaking UberGames forum, let alone the website XD) so no one should feel obligated to post updates.

Hahaha aahhhh progress bars. I had a flashback to RedTechie then. A while back, he wanted us to implement a full on project management suite, complete with Gantt charts, milestones, and version sign-offs. We were going to write that ourselves, but it never took off.
The truth is, progress bars only really work when you've set yourself a tangible deadline (eg COMPLETELY locked down the scope). With personal projects that don't reeeeally have an end in sight, it's VERY hard to do that. When it's paid work, it's easy since you know exactly the scope of what the person paying you wants.

That being said, the lack of UberGames having a nice project management tool has been really getting me down. After my experience with RPG-X, I think it's something we DEFINITELY have to have running before we tackle anything else.
So I am actually currently researching a such a tool that we could use that allows you to assign yourself and then keep track of 'todo' tasks on a project, and then automatically harass you via email when tasks are outstanding (At the moment, I'm leaning towards this one: http://teambox.com/, but I'm still flying around checking out others). But when and if we got our own project management tool set up, I doubt anyone would have a problem with sharing it out to projects here too.

So I'd just say for now, don't forget to take it easy. Remember that all of this is meant to be for fun, and the second people start pressuring people, it stops being so. :)

#1550 Captain Janeway

Captain Janeway

Captain, USS Voyager

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:42 PM

I want to Thank You TiM for your sensible outlook. I understand that this project has taken a long, long time, but as you say, it IS a personal project which we are trying to complete in our spare time. To expect any kind of progress like that which you'd find with a commercial project, is unfair. We still enjoy trying to work out the best way to implement the vision we share, but alot of the time, real life gets in the way.

On the subject of updates, a project tool would be interesting to see, and I'm betting Seven and Jordan would too. The community may have dwindled over the last year or so, but I'm just as keen as ever to see a fully realised RPG Voyager map for RPG-X and if it helped those who are still interested in the map feel a little better about it's status, I'm all for it.

Posted Image

#1551 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 05:17 PM

No worries Janeway!

Haha yeah... I'm speaking a little from experience there. We tried doing deadlines for a portion of RPG-X, but the pressure made it get messy. :P

Cool okay. My plans for this holiday is to try and get the this whole infrastructure online as best as possible. I'll keep that in mind. :)

#1552 Harry Young

Harry Young

Ubergames Lead Lua Coder

• UberGames Developer
  • 291 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:17 PM

I'm giving it a last shot to get my point across and then I'm going to leave it at that and see how the future goes.

To me it kinda isn't about how the updates go. It is my desire to help you get that in a way that everyone can kinda grasp that and most can't nearly do that in terms of textures. They need sth they can understand easily and that are screenshots or general progress information or a short video if you do sth. new concerning entities.

It is totally up to you how you do that in the end.

what really matters to me is that you understand and respect, that there is a 'fanbase' concerning the voyager-project and that you have to deal with that no matter what your backend project-structure might be. And ow I'll be as clear as I can: Dealing with a fanbase is not telling them that you are working on the project and in almost 3 years show nothing to support the claim. It is disrespectful and that has to end in some way. Now as I said I'm not telling but suggesting you in what way this should be done. Baseline is, that i think everyone I know (including me) respects that other things have to come first and that can slow down the project. However they want to see the map making progress and that is sth. that souldn't be too hard for you to keep us updated on. Else... well I will admit I might have been a little over enthiusiastic in the last week or so and I apollogize for that.

I'll end on a short disclamer: I do not want you to push to get the map out as soon as you can cause I don't wish to end up finding a map about wich I can say "O gosh, I'll start making a Lua-Bugfix" (which I'll do for v2, altough that will remain RPO-internal for now) or that just looks horrible or that I can do a more intensive sweep and find blurs on. What I do want you is to start communicating progress to the fanbase in an appropriate and understandable way.

Happy Hollydays
Harry

#1553 Captain Janeway

Captain Janeway

Captain, USS Voyager

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 09:38 AM

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I wish everyone a happy holiday.

Posted Image

#1554 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 10:05 AM

Haha hrmmm.... yeah sorry Harry. I have to disagree too.

When you start talking like that, it sounds like you're starting to feel 'entitled' to what is inherently free content provided with no strings. And that's the kind of stuff that can piss people off to the point of disbanding the project. I know this because I got it a lot this year with iPokédex (Fricken iPod touch 2g users :P ).

When in doubt, I like to remember this: it's a privilege you're getting anything at all. ;)

Happy holidays everyone! Let's start up an Xmas thread tomorrow. :D

-Tim

#1555 Max_Hunt

Max_Hunt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:25 PM

Sorry for digging ;) You can delete that post if you want...
Any new pdates?

#1556 Richard Evans

Richard Evans

{S31} Admirals' Team

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:51 PM

Getting back to the topic at hand, will there be a new update for this map?

follow.png

Richard Evans

Risa - The Star Trek Social Media Website

http://goo.gl/gJsMU9

#1557 SciSeven

SciSeven

• RPG-X Tester
  • 279 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:33 PM

I won't promise too much, but I'm currently working on updating all the functions of the map (like target_warp, target_alert etc.) and integrating the closed-beta functions (no details :P).

I haven't heard anything from Jordan or Kathy so far, but I hope we can have the final release with the new version of RPG-X.
sig_lillyryan1.jpg

#1558 Harry Young

Harry Young

Ubergames Lead Lua Coder

• UberGames Developer
  • 291 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:00 PM

Okay, you just got me motivated to close off some things. ;)

#1559 Richard Evans

Richard Evans

{S31} Admirals' Team

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:30 PM

I won't promise too much, but I'm currently working on updating all the functions of the map (like target_warp, target_alert etc.) and integrating the closed-beta functions (no details :P).

I haven't heard anything from Jordan or Kathy so far, but I hope we can have the final release with the new version of RPG-X.

Awesome! Cannot wait!

#1560 SciSeven

SciSeven

• RPG-X Tester
  • 279 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

:-)

@Harry: As soon as I get on with the new functions/entities, I'll be able to see how the mapping works for me. The example map is excellent for just having a look if smth won't work. I'm most curious about the escape pods, which were already integrated into the map but had never really been used.

I'm currently having my difficulties integrating the new target_warp (the warpcore seems to have its own mind).

Is there any example map I could have a look at (just for target_warp)?
sig_lillyryan1.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users