• You cannot reply to this topic

1666 replies to this topic

#21 jurgen

jurgen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 12:03 PM

nice map! the only problem is that i couldnt find the alert status buttons, and during my exploration of the map the most of the consoles in the bridge disappered so i am wondering about that too, but other then that cool! i love maps that wen the ship has a deck one so does the map, keep up the good work :mrgreen:

yes i've got that problem 2 but 4 the rest its a great map!

#22 Captain Janeway

Captain Janeway

Captain, USS Voyager

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 07:11 PM

I released an update of this map which fixes the disappearing panels etc and also includes pictures of where the alerts are situated. The file is on eliteforcefiles and is called voyagerrpg beta (update)

any suggestions please direct to AdKathrynJaneway@hotmail.co.uk

esp to all the people who have been helping me out the past few weeks :eek:

Posted Image
"There's Coffee in that Nebula!" Captain Kathryn Janeway
"Captain's Perogative is just a fancy term for excuses, Captain's aren't always right!" Callum

#23 Scooter

Scooter

The Canon Man

• UberGames Admin
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 07:42 PM

I checked out your map last night. This pretty much sums up my experience: :mad:

1. Making the user modify the PK3 file is lame. Do your own dirty work.
2. Including Raven's original textures not only causes unnecessary bloat, it's illegal.
3. How dare you override the default textures? I don't want to look at your textures when I'm not on your map. A map should not also be a mod. Causes confusion for people who are making texture mods for EF.
4. Some of your func_usables seem very quirky.

#24 Captain Janeway

Captain Janeway

Captain, USS Voyager

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 03:12 PM

I'm sorry you didnt have a good experience with my map but it is still a beta and doesnt really represent the finished one, (if there is)

1 I have experienced plenty of mods and maps that have people editing the pk3 files. The reason was so that people didnt have to spend ages downloading files they already have. (it does tell you that you need to do this in the readme so if people dont want to do this then dont download.)

2 I'm pretty sure that there are SOME textures which are ravens (which i have also seen in other map files.) but most of them are high res retextures which were done by someone for a totally different game. I also may be wrong but I didnt think using their materials was illegal other than if you tried to pass them off as your own or made money from it. In that case wouldnt using anything from ravens be illegal? like modifying the game code etc?? Therefore there are a lot more people out there in trouble than me

3 As i explained in the comments section of the update, the main reason i started modding was to replace the textures with better ones. I do realise that some people might not want their originals overwritten and i have said i will try to sort this out. (these textures dont actually overwrite anything anyways so there isnt really a problem with this. as i said in the original readme if you want the textures returned remove the pk3). I did warn people of this in the readme so if you dont like it dont download.

4 As i said this is a beta and is still ongoing. The whole reason for a beta is so people can test the map out and discover the different bugs. If i do not know to an extent what these are then i cant fix them.

5 I have seen many people with excellent ideas give up on mods or maps because of the feedback they recieve(not just for this game) The point is if people would help them instead of criticise their mistakes we would have alot mor people modding etc for this game. Learning takes time andwhen people get discouraged thats why we end up with long periods of nothing!!

I also want to thank you for your comments and take your criticism onboard (cause thats the way i am) but please remember to be patient as I have only been mapping for a few months( this map took just under a month). Any one can make mistakes and although its blasphemous to say i bet the rpg-x team have also had their fair share of problems(not that it shows in your work :P)

I would like to thank people once again for their help and support.

Posted Image
"Captain's Perogative is just a fancy term for excuses, Captain's aren't always right!" Callum

#25 Captain Janeway

Captain Janeway

Captain, USS Voyager

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 11:06 AM

I recently came across a map called fr_cassinibeta which i must say is a good interpretation of the USS Voyager. Im wondering if anyone knows who created this map. I would like to get in touch with this person for a chat. If anyones knows the email or if the person is reading please post reply or email me at

adkathrynjaneway@tesco.net

Posted Image

#26 Detox

Detox

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 12:51 PM

That was created by Cart however he handed it over to me because he just didn't have time to finish it so whatever you want to ask him you can ask me (I was on the team that helped create it so I know the answers to most questions) my IM and email can be found in my profile.
Posted Image

Do you ever wonder why Janeway is the way she is?
To Find out click here.

#27 William

William

Lead Level Developer - RPG-X

• UberGames Developer
  • 728 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 10:53 PM

Im wondering if anyone knows who created this map.

Raven prehaps? They did make the voyager interior afteralll

#28 Detox

Detox

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 02:05 AM

Raven did not make the map, they made the elements in the map but Cart is 100% credited with the map. Cart added ALL of the entities and arranged Ravens elements into an assortment of maps, now if you used your brain along with a simple process of elimination and some logic you would realize AdKathrynJaneway wouldn't have a question about Raven's elements in the map as they are all accessible on EFfile, she obviously has a question about something Cart did in the map ;).
Posted Image

To Find out click here.

#29 James Young

James Young

Bug Hunter

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 04:53 AM

yea um...I can cut up Will and Ant's maps found on EFFiles and re-arrange it and change some entities but it's still credited to Will and Ant, not me.
Posted Image

#30 Detox

Detox

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 05:14 AM

Yes you could but let me ask you this: If you used some different 'special' features that were not in Will and Ant's version who do you think would be the best choice to ask about this feature? Will and Ant or the one who put the new entities into the map and arranged them?
Posted Image

To Find out click here.

#31 James Young

James Young

Bug Hunter

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 05:31 AM

The person who put in the new entities clearly.

or if you explained what it does to Will or Ant they probablly know how it works.

however, you cannot credit the entire map to Cart.

you can credit the Interactivity to him, but that's it.

he didn't Create anything except lines of " target " and " team " in entity menu's
Posted Image

#32 Detox

Detox

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 12:25 PM

I never said he made any of the brushes but he did compile a .map called the FRcassinibeta so therefore the map is his :). But of coarse I give credit to Raven where it’s due.
Posted Image

To Find out click here.

#33 Guest_JanMike34_*

Guest_JanMike34_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2006 - 09:25 PM

Darn it you guys are talking about me while I'm not even here :)

I credit Raven for everything they've done, but credit should be given to me for everything I have done. I gave Detox the map if he has time to work on some of the lower decks, as my life is "booked up" at the moment, however I did not give the FULL map for Detox to complete, as the map is a majority mine, Cart, Cartae Fartae, JanMike34, Filefront staff, admiral, whatever you want to call me. Raven did a good job trying to get Voyager looking canon, but they failed in many aspects. With my working of the map, I made the bridge, corridors (actually that goes to Detox :)), rooms, and engineering the canon-ist it can be. Essentially, I can call Cassini my own because I came out with the layout, the name, the "looks", and the interactivity. But I won't deny that Raven did a majority of the brushwork, and I credit them with that.:)

By the way Admiral Janeway, sorry I didn't reply to your email, I haven't had the time lately...I'll will email you back in a second.

#34 Matthew Bluefox

Matthew Bluefox

Running out of time!

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 01:41 PM

LOL! I thought you'd register as Cart or Cartae-Fartae. :)

Posted Image

#35 Captain Janeway

Captain Janeway

Captain, USS Voyager

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 07:26 PM

So.....

I've finally begun mapping my voyager map again and have hit a problem.

I have merged my bridge and shuttle map with my main engineering/cargobay2 map and everything works fine apart from

1. The door between the corridor and cargo bay 2 isnt drawn and you need to noclip your way into cargo bay 2.

2. there is a brush which i meant to delete but it doesnt appear in radiant, however when i compile and run the map its floating in mid airand i cant get rid of it.
oh one more thing anyone knows what causes func_usables to disappear and then reappear at a certain point in the map???

anyone able to help?? thanks and by the way tim if you read this you rock!!!!

Posted Image

#36 SimmerALPHA

SimmerALPHA

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 08:07 AM

2. I had that to. The only way I know to get rid of it is to press L and one by one select all the func_usables you have in your map until you find one that isn't visible in either of the four views. Then just delete it with backspace.

#37 Captain Janeway

Captain Janeway

Captain, USS Voyager

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 06:37 PM

thanks simmer i'll try that when i get a min. that was actually so obvious i cant believe it! I always do this, ask a question and when ppl reply i go "D'UH" lol thanks again and if any one knows about my other problems help is appreciated heh

Posted Image

#38 Captain Janeway

Captain Janeway

Captain, USS Voyager

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 04:26 PM

Hi, if anyone remembers me from the long and distant past, they would remember my voyagerrpg map. Well i have slowly been working on it recently after being too busy for a couple of months. I have a couple of minor things to fix and can hopefully release a second update to the original.

Thanks for the people who have been taking time out to help me :(

Posted Image

#39 Matthew Bluefox

Matthew Bluefox

Running out of time!

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:55 AM

I hope the new version is coming out soon. I'll volunteer as beta tester, Kathryn. *shy smile*

#40 Captain Janeway

Captain Janeway

Captain, USS Voyager

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 11:51 PM

Well after being busy with uni recently i have had a real interest in improving my map! I have completley rebuilt the bridge and another couple of rooms and have began doing the rest. my only problem is the textures, lets put it bluntly, the original raven textures suck! I was hoping someone with a decent ability would read this and say "I could really be doing with a wee challenge!" Anyhow if anyone is interested please get in touch, help is very much appreciated!

Thanks ^_^

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users