• You cannot reply to this topic

1666 replies to this topic

#1 Captain Janeway

Captain Janeway

Captain, USS Voyager

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 03:02 PM

hi im just wanting some help with a couple of things.

1: i have a porblem with my red alert lights. they are working fine but when i press the consoles on my map the lights disappear and give the hom effect. How can i stop this happening. (how do they do it in the Poseidon maps cause ive had a look and cant seem to find the answer.)

2: i need help with my warp core. I cant think of a way to have it both shut on and off and eject?

any help would be greatfully recieved thanks again.

#2 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 06:29 PM

Hi! Welcome to the RPG-X forum! :huh:

Hrmm, I guess the mappers would know about this more than me, but I'll see if I can help.

1) First of all... what exactly is the hom effect? Is that where you can see outside of the game world and you get a sort of 'infinity' rendering effect?
If it is, it would mean that when you're pressing buttons on your consoles, the useables aren't being toggled correctly. In any case, I think this should just be a matter of linking both useables to the console and then making sure pressing it is toggling each one on and off.

2) Hrmm... Shutting on and off AND ejecting... :D
There's only one thing I can think of for that...
You make the core, as well as the elements that make it appear offline into the moveable ent, and at the same time, you position useables with the 'online' effect over the other ones over the core, probably about a 1 unit offset, so it always appears over the offline part. From there, you can have it so the online parts are hidden when a console is pressed. The usables aren't actually a part of the core, they're jsut occupuying space near it.
From there, when you want to eject the core, you make sure to turn the online usables off ( could the boolean ent do this? ), and then activate the moveable ent to start ejecting.

I hope that helped... :)

-TiM

#3 GSIO01

GSIO01

UberGames Developer

• UberGames Developer
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 09:52 PM

2) Hrmm... Shutting on and off AND ejecting... :D
There's only one thing I can think of for that...
You make the core, as well as the elements that make it appear offline into the moveable ent, and at the same time, you position useables with the 'online' effect over the other ones over the core, probably about a 1 unit offset, so it always appears over the offline part. From there, you can have it so the online parts are hidden when a console is pressed. The usables aren't actually a part of the core, they're jsut occupuying space near it.
From there, when you want to eject the core, you make sure to turn the online usables off ( could the boolean ent do this? ), and then activate the moveable ent to start ejecting.

That the exact way I have done it on the Yager, but it gets more complicated if you want to have the ship droping out of warp at the same time. hmm, maybe i should copy this monster of entityscripting out of the map an upload it ... because i can not explain how the whole script worked anymore:D

#4 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 04:02 AM

:D

Holy... Yeah... well there you go lol. :huh:

Maybe, in the furture, it might be worth trying to set up a script system similar to ICARUS or the EF2 mapping script in HM, where map entities can be controlled via a script rather than a complex array of usable ents.

I dunno, we'd need to see... :)

-TiM

#5 GSIO01

GSIO01

UberGames Developer

• UberGames Developer
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 01:46 PM

I would prefere a script system like in EF2, but any kind of scripting system would make things easier, as long as there is a good documentation for it

#6 Captain Janeway

Captain Janeway

Captain, USS Voyager

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 07:06 PM

Thanks for your help guys. I got my redalert lights working

and ive still to try the warp core eject. There is anothe rproblem however if yous dont mind. I setup blue alert lights and a sort of power off light wich were just func_usables as well, however they only showed up sometimes :huh: . I then tried using the system of lights from the poseidon b map but thats not working either. anyone know a way of having each of the lights come on when u press the switch a la poseidon-b withoutthe others getting in the way?? help appreciated

Thanks for your time :D

#7 GSIO01

GSIO01

UberGames Developer

• UberGames Developer
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 01:25 PM

This would be the simpliest way for the lights thing:
For the lights make func_usable with spawnflags 136 and some wait value (>1) targetting the usables for the off- and on-lights. Off should be startoff an on should be starton and both team 2.

#8 Captain Janeway

Captain Janeway

Captain, USS Voyager

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 01:58 PM

I done that before for the red alert lights and they work great, however, It doesnt work for yellow or blue alert. I took a look at how they did their alert ligths in the poseidon -b map and copied it to mine. The blue alert and yellow alert work but when pressing the green alert the textures dont show and plays the red alert sound again.

Thanks for your help :D

#9 GSIO01

GSIO01

UberGames Developer

• UberGames Developer
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 07:54 PM

sounds like the script is completely messed up ... :D

#10 Captain Janeway

Captain Janeway

Captain, USS Voyager

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 09:52 PM

GOT IT!!!!!!!!! thank black coffee and my stuborness. stupid me had messed up some of the targets! DU'H. It works the only problems with the bridge now is the jeffries tube fix that and im laughing!! Thanks for your help guys!

:D

Posted Image
"There's Coffee in that Nebula!" Captain Kathryn Janeway
"Captain's Perogative is just a fancy term for excuses, Captain's aren't always right!" Callum

#11 Captain Janeway

Captain Janeway

Captain, USS Voyager

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 07:29 PM

well ive been working on my map for about a weekend now and thanks to a virus data was corrupted!!!!!! I am now a good week behind where i was!!! I have got backups but their behind!!!!! anyone wanna save me from trashing my computer??

Posted Image
"Captain's Perogative is just a fancy term for excuses, Captain's aren't always right!" Callum

#12 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 05:02 AM

Errmm... save you how so? :)

-TiM

#13 zEE

zEE

Engai Juunin

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 02:39 PM

He/she means like this:
:) NOO!PLEASE DONT RUIN UR COMPUTER! IT HAS SO MUCH TO LIVE FOR SO MUCH GAMES LEFT TO BE PLAYED NOOO *weeps*
like that:p right?
Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 Captain Janeway

Captain Janeway

Captain, USS Voyager

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 03:09 PM

Yeah thats exaclty what i meant ty lol. I did save the bridge, but i was in the middle of converting the actual structure to patches! Which i suck at!!!! oh well suppose i better drag myself along! :)

Posted Image

#15 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 03:47 PM

Yeah... nothing is more painful than losing your hard work.... :)

Which is why I have the RPG-X source code in multiple copies spread around my house in different mediums ( including on a CD in my sock drawer :P ).

Take no chances. When you don't have a backup of work you'd be upset to lose, that's when your computer will explode.

I would be upset to say the least if we lost RPG-X... :P

Hehe nah, you don't suck, you've demonstrated you can solve problems on your own, so all you need is the time to develop experience now. :)

-TiM

#16 Captain Janeway

Captain Janeway

Captain, USS Voyager

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 01:17 PM

Thanks Tim for your words of wisdom and encouragement! I was the worlds worst at not backing up but not anymore, bought 50 new cds for copying and a new external harddrive so im hopefully sorted. I have managed to get my bridge map up to date but only on the original voyager map, remapping is still a slight problem for me (damned textures O_O ) i also managed to fix up captains quarters and alot of engineering, though with the test i done with my bridge map theres still a way to go (lot of lag). I'll keep working on it though! :P

Posted Image

#17 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 03:19 PM

Haha excellent. O_O

Good luck. :P

-TiM

#18 Captain Janeway

Captain Janeway

Captain, USS Voyager

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 08:23 PM

Well if anyones interested I have uploaded my file to a webpage. It is a beta of the bridge so if anyones interested here is the link

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EIFYW5C7

Posted Image

#19 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 01:41 PM

Ah... cool. :confused:

I just saw this go up on EFFiles. I might give it a shot once all my exams are done. :eek:

-TiM

#20 zEE

zEE

Engai Juunin

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 03:17 PM

nice map! the only problem is that i couldnt find the alert status buttons, and during my exploration of the map the most of the consoles in the bridge disappered so i am wondering about that too, but other then that cool! i love maps that wen the ship has a deck one so does the map, keep up the good work :mrgreen:
Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users