• You cannot reply to this topic

132 replies to this topic

#1 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 04:23 AM

Okay, now the Quake 3 source is out, Raven might release the source code to Elite Force. :o

If this were to happen, we might be able to give it a bit of an overhaul to make it look more up to date with today's technology. :)

For the purpose of consolidating a list and to have a list of reference, let's put all the features we want here.

Please note, this is not a suggestion list for game specific features. Things like enhanced entities and visual FX, anything that the user really interacts with ingame is in the game code, completely separate from here.

The code here is for the really nitty gritty features of EF like its shader engine, BSP loader/renderer and for actual model/texture loading (when u do this in the game code, u're actually telling the engine to do it directly)

Some features are in a bit of a grey area (ie we're still trying to figure out if max weapons is engine or game side), but please think about what you're suggesting. :) It'd be good if we could keep this and the RPG-X 2 feature list separate. ^_^

-TiM

#2 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 04:32 AM

Off the top of my head, here are a few features I can think of that would awesome in EF. :o

Basically, I've taken the best out of a few games and put them here hehe.

Features Raven implemented into JKA:
-Dynamic Glow shaders
-PNG texture and subsequently dynamic coloring on skins (lol dynamic colored starfleet uniforms. :) )
-Refraction Shaders
-Ghoul2 Model System
-The ability to turn surfaces off in .skin files

Q3: Team Arena introduced features:
-Enhanced ROQ video system (including the ability to put these into maps themselves)
-GUI Menu is powered by a set of .menu files instead of from the code itself (WAAAAY easier than what we have to do now :blink:)
-MD4 skeleton based model format (altho G2 would own this...)

Doom 3 features:
-Support to directly add vertex fragment algorithms to shaders
-An ingame dynamic GUI system (like the panels ingame - Imagine LCARS panels ingame that actually animated and responded to when u clicked on them. ^_^ )

Half-Life 2 features:
-Dot3 Bump mapping (Ie it's there to add to the detail, not be the only source of it as is the case in Doom3)
-Light flares (Not lensflares per se, but bright hazes around lights. Q3 already supports this to a limited degree)
-Havok Engine style physics :)

Okay, I probably missed a lot, but that there alone is quite a mouthful. ;P

-TiM

#3 Nazar

Nazar

I break everything I touch

• UberGames Admin
  • 573 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 05:26 AM

Soldier of Fortune 2 gore.
Ennoverse Web Hosting
http://www.ennoverse.com
http://www.ennoverse.co.uk

Affordable web hosting and domains.

A Division of UberNet Ltd.

#4 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 05:32 AM

*shudder* :o

That would come included with the Ghoul2 system. I think the main design behind that system was so they could actually detect hits and draw decals on the model as a result.

Plus since it's based on a bone system, it could have ragdoll physics as well...

But considering that could easily take a game from a G rating to like RX 25+++ (NB: Doesn't really exist) do we really need it?

-TiM

#5 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 06:12 AM

ooh, ooh.

Doing a search on google, I found a freeware physics engine called Tokamak.

Judging from the demonstrations, it could probably easily stand up to Havok. :o

http://www.tokamakphysics.com

I wonder if the game could handle physics data though... It's pretty complicated... :)

-TiM

#6 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 11:54 AM

code\qcommon\qfiles.h

// there shouldn't be any problem with increasing these values at the
// expense of more memory allocation in the utilities
#define	MAX_MAP_MODELS 0x400
#define	MAX_MAP_BRUSHES 0x8000
#define	MAX_MAP_ENTITIES	0x800
#define	MAX_MAP_ENTSTRING	0x40000
#define	MAX_MAP_SHADERS 0x400

#define	MAX_MAP_AREAS 0x100	// MAX_MAP_AREA_BYTES in q_shared must match!
#define	MAX_MAP_FOGS 0x100
#define	MAX_MAP_PLANES 0x20000
#define	MAX_MAP_NODES 0x20000
#define	MAX_MAP_BRUSHSIDES	0x20000
#define	MAX_MAP_LEAFS 0x20000
#define	MAX_MAP_LEAFFACES	0x20000
#define	MAX_MAP_LEAFBRUSHES 0x40000
#define	MAX_MAP_PORTALS 0x20000
#define	MAX_MAP_LIGHTING	0x800000
#define	MAX_MAP_LIGHTGRID	0x800000
#define	MAX_MAP_VISIBILITY	0x200000

#define	MAX_MAP_DRAW_SURFS	0x20000
#define	MAX_MAP_DRAW_VERTS	0x80000
#define	MAX_MAP_DRAW_INDEXES	0x80000

If this is what I think it is and if EF has something the same, I think many mappers would like it if this was changed as well. :o

-TiM

#7 Alex Mcpherson

Alex Mcpherson

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 02:18 PM

why dont you just make a new game now you got the source..
>_>

#8 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 04:24 PM

We might. I've been thinking about it, but making a game that is fun and visually pleasing is a huge job. :)

In the meantime, this is a thread based on suggestions we could add to the Q3 engine to make it look/run better. Not future plans on what could be done with it. :o

-TiM

#9 Anthony

Anthony

UberGames Developer

• UberGames Developer
  • 201 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 07:40 PM

Definatly try to make maps load and run more effciently if at all possible, for people with slower machines.

Posted Image

#10 Chase Benedict

Chase Benedict

Bug Hunter

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 02:34 PM

How about using the feature from "The Fallen" where you either have to use some sort of isolinear chip to enter certain things, or you have to be a certain class to enter.

#11 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 03:06 PM

[quote]Originally posted by Chase Benedict+Sep 4 2005, 10:34 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Chase Benedict @ Sep 4 2005, 10:34 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> How about using the feature from "The Fallen" where you either have to use some sort of isolinear chip to enter certain things, or you have to be a certain class to enter.[/b][/quote]
Gah, again, that's game side, not engine side. It belongs in the other thread. :)

<!--QuoteBegin-TiM @ Aug 22 2005
@ 12:23 PM
Please note, this is not a suggestion list for game specific features. Things like enhanced entities and visual FX, anything that the user really interacts with ingame is in the game code, completely separate from here.[/quote]
Also, that was already suggested and I think it was declined it since it would require an awful lot of coding. :blink:

Having class specific triggers (no isolinear chips) might be doable...

-TiM

#12 Scooter

Scooter

The Canon Man

• UberGames Admin
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 02:01 AM

IIRC it was me who suggested it last time. Doesn't seem a like as much coding as a vehicle system. The isolinear chip readers in The Fallen were basically conditional func_usables that required you to have a certain isolinear chip in your hand while trying to activate. Step 2 would be making it possible to have blank chips and card writers; again the principles are fairly basic. The isolinear chip has an additional "state" that it can exist in, and when you "write" to it you're basically just associating it with a different func_usable. That could probably be achieved by storing the targetname of the func_usable as a variable in some sort of isolinear chip class, assuming the targetname is accessible after compiling the map.

#13 Vanguard

Vanguard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 04:27 AM

I think what would really be a good idea is Voice over network to improve the gameplay. I finf all that typing a pain while in an RPG game. If we could have an option the type or chat it would make things alot better. I dont know where this belongs in your forums.

#14 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 05:40 AM

Yes, I would love that too. :)

If we could also incorporate directional 3D sound with it (ie, the volume it comes out of in the speakers is proportional to where it's being played ingame) and then couple it with that feature I want to add with the player models' mouths moving, we could make a pretty realistic style of communication. :)

I'm not sure if anyone here knows anything about VoIP programming though... apparently, it's trickier than it would seem. :blink:

Welcome to the RPG-X forums. :blink:

-TiM

#15 Vanguard

Vanguard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 11:52 PM

If you check out the Bridge Commander Modding Community im sure someone there can help with VoIP. I can also take a look around the coding communities I visit. Why not also work on an Elite Force III. Build It from the source up. You have the Q3SC. I downloaded it the other day. Not had the time to look at it yet. Im dedicated to Bridge Commander II at the moment.

#16 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 04:24 AM

[quote]Originally posted by Vanguard+Sep 28 2005, 07:52 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vanguard @ Sep 28 2005, 07:52 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>If you check out the Bridge Commander Modding Community im sure someone there can help with VoIP.  I can also take a look around the coding communities I visit. 

Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Okay, if you want hehe. :)
It might also be possible to try and look at some other games to see how they did it.

Apparently Tribes 2 had VoIP... I wonder if the Torque engine code has anything on that in it....

<!--QuoteBegin-Vanguard
@Sep 28 2005, 07:52 AM
Why not also work on an Elite Force III.

Quoted post

[/quote]

Well because I technically am already doing that. ^_^

http://www.eliteforcetc.com

-TiM

#17 Alex Mcpherson

Alex Mcpherson

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 10:51 AM

but that requires u to get a new game to play.
we were thinking more along the lines of a full game (not sold *ahem*)

would look good on the Ubergames "previous projects" stuff.
:)

#18 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 04:35 PM

Hrmmm another thing I was thinking about today.

More controllable per-poly visual FX. A feature from the JK series where when you shot someone with the sniper rifle at full power, it would progressively disintegrate the player from the location where they were hit.

Would make disitegrations in Disi games more interesting to watch hehe. Not to mention, it would also technically make that VFX more canon. :)

Huh... I wonder... with the EF engine code never actually coming out, is this thread worth it lol.

Ah well, there's the Q3->EF conversion project. ATM, that sounds like already it's far superior to EF's current engine... :blink:

-TiM

#19 RedTechie

RedTechie

UberGames Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 276 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 04:46 PM

HTTP REDIRECT! :) Is my first priority when we are ready to start modifying Thilos port.
RedTechie
UberGames Administrator

Need Affordable Game Servers or Web Hosting?

Ennoverse Ltd.
http://www.ennoverse.com
http://www.ennoverse.co.uk
Affordable Game Servers, Web Hosting, Domains, and SSL.

We also offer Elite Force and Elite Force 2 hosting!

#20 TiM

TiM

Administrator

• UberGames Admin
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 03:37 PM

Hehe yeah I thought you'd say that.

Especially after all that raving about it on Ventrilo hehe....

Umm... something else I've been considering.

After writing multiple script parsing functions for this mod now ( including ranks and individual characters ), I remembered that Raven in JKA/JK2 made it so that specific VFX could be scripted externally and then imported into the game remotely.

The advantage of that being that creating visual FX is a lot easier since a lot of the code required to initialize them is automated.

I wonder what else from the code could be better off made external in that fashion...

-TiM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users